WM5torage

Guest Ingvarr

Guest Ingvarr
What I mean is to use the handle of a store already opened by WM, not to open a new handle to a store by WM5torage.

The pdocread tool used in my previous post can access a partition either by name or by known WM handle (-h option).

pdocread tool and its source code (written by itsme on XDA-Developers) can be found from here.

ITGetSTRGHandleList() may be a reference.

Another problem I encountered is:

I have 2 partitions on a store (an internal flash ROM store or a SD card store).

With WM5torage option "Removable Class" ticked On, I can only see the first partition on PC side via USB.

With that option ticked Off, I can see both partitions on PC side, but strange things happened:

The files I copied into the second partition on PC side are not able to be seen on WM side by file manager, but the storage space reported by WM storage manager is indeed reduced to reflect the size of storied files.

I have tried the partition type of primary or extended/logical, but no luck.

All of them are OK if I only operate (read/write files) that 2 partitions on WM side only.

I guess the PC side (mapped by WM5torage) and WM side are referring 2 different FAT tables for the second partition, as I even can copy a file with the same name but different contents into that partition again on WM side although I have already copied it on PC side. But their contents are different I viewed from PC and WM respectively. That is to say the same file name has different contents in it. If I delete it from WM, I can still see it from PC by WM5torage!

If WM5torage lists all available partitions instead of just the list of stores, the problem of multi-partitions of a store may be resolved.

As you know, more and more people use large capacity of SD card (4GB, 8GB …), and they want to partition it into small partitions (2GB) to overcome the SD capacity limitation of some devices.

MAPGPS

I am not keen to use undocumented ways just to support already standard-breaking cases like duplicate device names. No need to break potential compatibility even more.

Microsoft documentation clearly states that each disk device must have an unique name. I will consider fixing duplicate device case if you can point me to Microsoft-documented way to enumerate just handles (instead of direct process memory access/parsing that itsutils.dll seem to do to enumerate handles).

Again, WM5torage does not work with partitions for disk access. For USB disk access, the whole disk device gets exposed. All partition shenanigans resulting will be totally fault of WM/PC Windows.

As far as I know, there is no proper way to export two partition using "removable" flag. In removable mode, disk is like "big floppy", PC OS does not expect partitions in this mode (but WM5torage does not do any partition hiding, all it does it sets a single bit flag in USB MS protocol).

Same with two partitions in non-removable mode. WM5torage does not do any partition processing, it exports the whole disk, MBR record including. I have reports from people who did indeed use two partitions successfully, so it defenitely possible. Maybe some proper reformatting is in order (deleting 2nd FAT copy maybe?)

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest zatrick

Hello, everybody,

Sorry for my so bad English.

I have a HTC P-6500 and wm5torage doesn't work on it, I have a removable disk on pc but when I click on it, the computer tel me insert a disk in removable disk H (where H is a the letter of removable disk drive). Just for information not for support, I have Softick card export II and doesn't work correctly for file more than 500kb, if I put a 2Mb file, I have a problem when i click on these file on my HTC an I have a message about this file same as unsigned cab file and when I send it with ActiveSync, it work correctly on my HTC P-6500. I have two accessible external sd slot on my p-6500, I have a two card sd on these two slot and the comportment is not the same between them. The p-6500 is a qualcomm processor based. At this time I can't use my phone same as usb key and I don't know why.

Thank you.

Guest Ingvarr
Still the same for the VOX unfortunately - no two-way mode possible if the USB connected PC shall be able to write to the card. Read-Only and exclusive modes are ok. This version does no more create (or write to) the wm5drvlog.txt file - so no new info can be delivered.

Please test the attached version, it has logging enabled.

WM5torage_189BETA6.CAB

Guest Ingvarr
See attached logfile - different options and combinations were tested, still the only non working is still the "Two-Way + Write-from-USB".

It does not work because Vox indeed fails to protect partition from writes on the PDA side.

The test file was successfully deleted from PDA side, so partition was not protected - and its something I can not fix unfortunately.

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest tobbbie
It does not work because Vox indeed fails to protect partition from writes on the PDA side.

The test file was successfully deleted from PDA side, so partition was not protected - and its something I can not fix unfortunately.

The logfile I provided should have no tests inside that backup your statement above.

How do you know that a testfile was deleted?

Indeed I have (with 1.89ß2) checked the contrary, i.e. I can write from USB side.

The device side can read (and it seems it can write, but it can't - in the end, after WM5torage is disabled).

The latter looks like (I have done very little testing) the write is not going from the cache to the card.

Guest Ingvarr
The logfile I provided should have no tests inside that backup your statement above.

How do you know that a testfile was deleted?

Indeed I have (with 1.89ß2) checked the contrary, i.e. I can write from USB side.

The device side can read (and it seems it can write, but it can't - in the end, after WM5torage is disabled).

The latter looks like (I have done very little testing) the write is not going from the cache to the card.

I beleive I know my logs well enough, thanks :excl:

I know that a test file was deleted because there is a statement that says exactly this, and if you look carefully this time, you surely will see it.

By correct functionality the device side should not be able to write to card while PC side should.

You think that "write not going from cache to the card" while in fact you see result of collision in FAT structure updates between PDA and PC sides - whoever updated them latest. On long run that obviously will corrupt the file system.

On devices where it does work correctly, you instantly see "write protected" error if you try to write to card from PDA side while its attached to PC via USB.

Guest tobbbie

You think that "write not going from cache to the card" while in fact you see result of collision in FAT structure updates between PDA and PC sides - whoever updated them latest. On long run that obviously will corrupt the file system.

In beta2 it seems that writes to the card by USB are not visible by the device and vice versa. So is a file copied to the root of the card not visible to the device until WM5torage is terminated. Anyway the speed of the USB transfer for the VOX is only a slight improve over AS and far less than with a USB card reader. So further debugging this makes no sense I think and I will not further invest time into that (so should you...).

Guest MAPGPS
Microsoft documentation clearly states that each disk device must have an unique name.

Seems my A700 device has not followed Microsoft standards.

Now I'm seeing a way to change my A700 to have unique store device name.

I guess it should be changed via boot.hv in the XIP, but do not know which registry controls the device name of a TrueFFS store.

Part of boot.hv on A700:

[font="Courier New"][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager]

"PNPUnloadDelay"=dword:1f4

"Dll"="fsdmgr.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\AutoLoad\TrueFFS1]

"Order"=dword:1

"BootPhase"=dword:0

"LoadFlags"=dword:1

"DriverPath"="Drivers\\BuiltIn\\TrueFFS1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\AutoLoad\TrueFFS]

"Order"=dword:0

"LoadFlags"=dword:1

"DriverPath"="Drivers\\BuiltIn\\TrueFFS"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Profiles]

"Folder"="Mounted Volume"

"PartitionDriverName"="MSPART"

"DefaultFileSystem"=""

"MountFlags"=dword:0

"AutoFormat"=dword:0

"AutoPart"=dword:0

"AutoMount"=dword:1

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Profiles\TRUEFFS_DOC1]

"Folder"="Storage"

"Name"="DiskOnChip M-Systems"

"DefaultFileSystem"="FATFS"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Profiles\TRUEFFS_DOC1\FATFS]

"DataCacheSize"=dword:800

"CheckForFormat"=dword:1

"EnableWriteBack"=dword:1

"FormatTFAT"=dword:1

"Flags"=dword:14

"MountAsRoot"=dword:1

"MountAsBootable"=dword:1

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Profiles\TRUEFFS_DOC1\FATFS\Filters\fsreplxfilt]

"Order"=dword:1

"Dll"="fsreplxfilt.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Profiles\TRUEFFS_DOC]

"MountFlags"=dword:11

"Folder"="IMGFS"

"Name"="TrueFFS"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Profiles\TRUEFFS_DOC\FATFS]

"CacheSize"=dword:800

"DataCacheSize"=dword:800

"XIP"=dword:0

"MountAsROM"=dword:1

"MountAsHidden"=dword:1

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Profiles\TRUEFFS_DOC\IMGFS]

"XIP"=dword:0

"MountAsROM"=dword:1

"MountAsHidden"=dword:1

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\TrueFFS1]

"UseCache"=dword:1

"AutoDPDMode"=dword:1

"IClass"=multi_sz:"{A4E7EDDA-E575-4252-9D6B-4195D48BB865}"

"WindowBase"=dword:0

"Ioctl"=dword:4

"Index"=dword:1

"Prefix"="DSK"

"Dll"="TrueFFS.dll"

"Profile"="TRUEFFS_DOC1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\TrueFFS]

"UseCache"=dword:1

"AutoDPDMode"=dword:1

"IClass"=multi_sz:"{A4E7EDDA-E575-4252-9D6B-4195D48BB865}"

"WindowBase"=dword:0

"Ioctl"=dword:4

"Index"=dword:1

"Prefix"="DSK"

"Dll"="TrueFFS.dll"

"Profile"="TRUEFFS_DOC"

"Flags"=dword:11000[/font]

Guest Ingvarr

I see only two storage devices in registry (exactly the same as WM5torage sees).

Why do you think there are must be three storage devices?

If you look at the dump you provided:

50.00M (0x3200000) TrueFFS

| 1.06M (0x10fc00) Part00

| 1.63M (0x1a0000) Part01

| 44.94M (0x2cf0000) Part02

| 2.38M (0x260000) Part03

66.38M (0x4261200) TrueFFS

You may notice that "second device" is merely the clone of the first - all partition sizes and even the partition handles are the same.

It may be that not WM5torage can not see the Extended ROM partition (WM5torage works on disk level, not partition level).

It may be that whole disk is exported ok, but PC can not see Extended ROM partition because it does not use FAT filesystem on A700?

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest MAPGPS
I see only two storage devices in registry (exactly the same as WM5torage sees).

Why do you think there are must be three storage devices?

If you look at the dump you provided: ...

You may notice that "second device" is merely the clone of the first - all partition sizes and even the partition handles are the same.

My A700 does have three storage devices.

After further investigation, I found that the name of the second device should be "TrueFFS1", but has been cut as "TrueFFS" due to the limitation of 7 characters length of device name in WM5/WM6.

So I managed to change the device name by modification to the boot.hv file in XIP:

change:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\AutoLoad\TrueFFS1]

to:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\AutoLoad\rTueFFS1]

(I tried many times for the parameters in boot.hv, and finally got this trick)

Then hard-reset A700.

Great! WM5torage can now show three storage devices!

(TrueFFS, rTueFFS, DSK1:)

post-524748-1240073306_thumb.jpg

And pdocread can aslo show three storage devices:

C:\Scoter Kitchen\Utilities\TOOLS\itsutils> pdocread -l

66.38M (0x4261200) rTueFFS

| 66.38M (0x4260000) Part00

1.90G (0x79b00000) DSK1:

| 1.90G (0x79ae1200) Part00

Finally I was able to re-partiton the second store (rTueFFS, 66.38M) into 2 partitions with the export of WM5torage.

This time I used FAT16 (previously I used FAT32 for M810 phone and met strange things) for the second partition, and can normally copy/view files on it from both A700 and PC side via WM5torage.

Now pdocread shows:

C:\Scoter Kitchen\Utilities\TOOLS\itsutils> pdocread -l

66.38M (0x4261200) rTueFFS

| 39.19M (0x2730c00) Part00

| 23.53M (0x1788600) Part01

1.90G (0x79b00000) DSK1:

| 1.90G (0x79ae1200) Part00

Thanks Ingvarr for your great WM5torage!

MAPGPS

Edited by MAPGPS

Guest Ingvarr
After further investigation, I found that the name of the second device should be "TrueFFS1", but has been cut as "TrueFFS" due to the limitation of 7 characters length of device name in WM5/WM6.

Ah, thats a good find. Is thats in official ROM?

I wish that they employed better programmers for making firmwares, that can actually read the specifications...

Guest MAPGPS
Ah, thats a good find. Is thats in official ROM?

Yes, it is the official ROM of A700/A701.

I found some other device models also have the same issue, such as O2 Xda Life etc.

Guest xxxpongxxx

was wondering, why is it that whenever i connect this to my computer

it couldnt read the phone.

all i get is it asking me to format drive f:\

because it says it is unformatted

thanks

htc tytn 2, wm6.1

Guest Ingvarr
was wondering, why is it that whenever i connect this to my computer

it couldnt read the phone.

all i get is it asking me to format drive f:\

because it says it is unformatted

thanks

htc tytn 2, wm6.1

Sadly, WM5torage does not work with TyTN2 due to poorly made driver in firmware (explained in FAQ).

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest spy_kobz

guys good day. I'm not so familiar with programs..i just wanna ask if you have an idea why does the WM5torage 1.75 and 1.8 version by Igor V. Bohzko doesn't work on my O2 Graphite running on WM6 standard OS or do you have an email address of Igor so |I could ask him personally.

need your help,

thanks alot

Edited by spy_kobz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest stratuus

I've just installed this on my Acer DX900 WM6.1.

I can't find the storage card (SDMMC) using File Explorer.

I've tried the solution as described in the FAQ on page 1 but it doesn't work.

Can somebody more knowledgable than me please help?

Thanks!

PS today I uninstalled the program, as per the instructions in the FAQ but even with the program uninstalled, I still have no access to my storage card FROM THE PHONE.

However I can still access the card via Activesync.

Please help!

Edited by stratuus

Guest stratuus
I've just installed this on my Acer DX900 WM6.1.

I can't find the storage card (SDMMC) using File Explorer.

I've tried the solution as described in the FAQ on page 1 but it doesn't work.

Can somebody more knowledgable than me please help?

Thanks!

PS today I uninstalled the program, as per the instructions in the FAQ but even with the program uninstalled, I still have no access to my storage card FROM THE PHONE.

However I can still access the card via Activesync.

Please help!

Can't now access the card via activesync, only by removing the card and inserting it in a laptop.

Help!

Edited by stratuus

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.