Guide to Upgrading Qtek 8310 to the Latest (2.0.9.0) AKU2 ROM

Guest mfurse

Guest mfurse

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would create a step by step guide to help impart the process I followed to get my Qtek 8310 to run the newly released official AKU2 ROM. The upgrade initially came up with "Invalid Vendor ID" so I had to follow a few more steps from multiple forums to get around it - I have just aggregated those steps here.

This is NOT an official or guaranteed method to install your Qtek ROM - I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY FAILURE OR PROBLEMS YOU MAY EXPERIENCE.

1. Get the latest ROM for the Qtek 8310 by logging in to http://www.myqtek.com to get it.

2. Reset device to manufacturer defaults before attempting to install the update - this should reduce the likelyness of problems occuring. A utility for doing this is under "Accessories > Clear Storage".

NOTE: you will lose all your data if it is not on the Storage Card.

3. Wait for the phone to rebuild to manufacturer defaults and try the Qtek ROM upgrade (see step 13 & 14).

IF you get "Invalid Vendor ID", like I did because "I'm not a brightpoint customer :blink:", then you will have to change the phone's identifier lock or 'CID'.

NOTE: Changing the CID will invalidate your warranty.

4. To change CID first get RegEditSTG.zip from the attached files link at the bottom of this post. Connect up your phone to the PC and copy the ZIP FILE not the EXE to your phone and unzip the exe on the phone.

5. Run the regeditstg exe file (once unzipped) change the following keys to APPLICATION UNLOCK your phone. This is required to be able to install the .CAB file to enable you to change the CID.

Navigate to: HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies\

Click "Values" soft-key

Change "00001001" value to 1 (decimal) (recovery note: default is 2)

Change "00001005" value to 40 (decimal) (recovery note: default is 16)

Change "00001017" value to 144 (decimal) (recovery note: default is 128)

Add new value "0000101b" and assign it DWORD = 1 (decimal)

Reboot your device.

These changes now mean you can run unsigned software such as the CID changing software.

6. Download SPV-Services from here. Thanks to the guys from SPV-Developers!

7. Unzip the file on your PC. Copy the Cert.CAB file to your mobile device. Then use the phone's file manager to browse to the file and then run it. It should flash up a warning about being unsigned - just click "yes" and let it install.

8. Reboot the phone again.

9. With the phone still connected to the PC and on, run the SPV-Services.exe from the SPV-Services zip file you should have unzipped on your PC.

This will load the SPV-Services program.

NOTE: This program does not work well with IE 7 or alternative browsers, try to make sure your PC has IE6 if possible!

10. Click "CID Tool (Alpha)" on the left hand side - it will attempt to read the CID from your Phone. (Mine read it fine without issue following this method...if you have problems then try www.spv-developers.com or this Modaco forum for some help!)

Once it has, copy and paste the CID number that was collected to your PC in a text file to make sure you have a backup for whatever reason.

11. Click the "Set CID to 1111111" button and be patient. Do not switch your phone, restart your computer or unplug the phone!

Changing the CID to this SuperCID your phone able to accept the new Qtek 8310 ROM. As I have said this process will invalidate your warranty.

12. Wait for the process to complete successfully. Reboot the phone.

13. Try the ROM update again, read all the instructions carefully and do not get impatient. My Update got stuck at 93% for like 4 mins before continuing to successfully update.

14. Your Qtek 8310 will have to rebuild itself which is also a slow process but be patient and you should now be upgraded to the latest version ROM.

Hope this helps all those with the Invalid Vendor ID problem despite being paying Qtek Customers!

Matt

RegEditSTG.zip

Edited by mfurse

Guest sporkguy

Got my 8310 this morning, and I must say, thank you very much Mr Matt!

What a cracking first post.. I'm sure this will help many fellow Qtek customers like myself ;)

Guest ben.fisher

That's brilliant, just what i'm looking for.

I'll try it as soon as I get home and have access to a spare phone just in case something goes wrong.

I had been slowly gathering the same information but had a question regarding SPV-Services.exe. Will it work on any Qtek 8310 such as mine which was supplied by Vodafone, or is it only for orange supplied phones?

I was a bit unsure about running it before i knew it wasn't orage specific.

Thanks,

Ben.

Guest sporkguy
That's brilliant, just what i'm looking for.

I'll try it as soon as I get home and have access to a spare phone just in case something goes wrong.

I had been slowly gathering the same information but had a question regarding SPV-Services.exe. Will it work on any Qtek 8310 such as mine which was supplied by Vodafone, or is it only for orange supplied phones?

I was a bit unsure about running it before i knew it wasn't orage specific.

Thanks,

Ben.

The thing about Qtek and the SPV-Services service is that they're independent of the networks like Voda and Orange! So this tutorial will work for you too, and you can even sim unlock your phone using SPV-Services too ;)

Matt: just updated my rom, and I'm liking the new one! the wireless manager is a hell of a lot better too :P

Guest mfurse

Glad you guys have found it useful - share the knowledge!

To answer the question on SPV-Services: I think it is fairly device independant but for a definite answer I would check with the guys at SPV-Developers.com who wrote it!

Matt

Guest sb0611

"5. Run the regeditstg exe file (once unzipped) change the following keys to APPLICATION UNLOCK your phone. This is required to be able to install the .CAB file to enable you to change the CID.

Click "Values" soft-key

Reboot your device.

These changes now mean you can run unsigned software such as the CID changing software."

Thanks for that tutorial! I have just one question:

Concerning the application unlock (#5) I have also seen in various posts elsewhere that changing just the first 2 values (to 1 and 40 respectivley) is enough. Somestimes it also recommended to run the SDA_ApplicationUnlock file to "make sure" your device is comletely application unlocked. What gives and what are the other 2 registry values for? What does the SDA_ApplicationUnlock file do extra?

Thanks!

Guest mfurse
"5. Run the regeditstg exe file (once unzipped) change the following keys to APPLICATION UNLOCK your phone. This is required to be able to install the .CAB file to enable you to change the CID.

Click "Values" soft-key

Reboot your device.

These changes now mean you can run unsigned software such as the CID changing software."

Thanks for that tutorial! I have just one question:

Concerning the application unlock (#5) I have also seen in various posts elsewhere that changing just the first 2 values (to 1 and 40 respectivley) is enough. Somestimes it also recommended to run the SDA_ApplicationUnlock file to "make sure" your device is comletely application unlocked. What gives and what are the other 2 registry values for? What does the SDA_ApplicationUnlock file do extra?

Thanks!

The above keys are a culmination of the ones I changed/created from two different tutorials on application unlocking. I have just posted the method I followed to get the Cert.cab to install correctly to change my CID, I don't know what each specific registry key does I am afraid.

I changed all same reg keys after performing the upgrade and I havent had an issue installing unsigned software such as wm5torage or auto keylock or any operational issues.

Of course this is only my personal experience - change them at your own risk!

Matt

Guest andyrap

Hello everyone. Fantastic site - taking the headache out of setting up my 8300!

Does anyone know if this ROM update will work for the 8300 as well? Been having a few problems (mainly WMP and memory) and wonder if this might sort it.

I have a 2GB memory card and whenever I try and play mp3s it crashes! Not good for a music phone ;)

Guest mfurse

Does anyone know if this ROM update will work for the 8300 as well? Been having a few problems (mainly WMP and memory) and wonder if this might sort it.

I have a 2GB memory card and whenever I try and play mp3s it crashes! Not good for a music phone ;)

This update is only for the 8310 but no doubt the 8300 update is also available, try logging into www.myqtek.com (if you can) to check for the latest ROM. The same instructions for unlocking the phone will apply. If you unlocked your phone then applied the 8310 update, it would probably work but your media buttons wouldn't work and potentially other key assignments so I wouldn't advise it!

If you can't log into myqtek.com to get the official update hunt around on the web, no doubt someone will have a direct link - I don't I'm afraid!

Matt

Guest flywest

I would like to know also. BTW How full is your memory card? If there is only a couple mb's left then it will give you problems. I had to have about 25mb's free for my memory card to behave properly.

Guest Brendanmx5
The thing about Qtek and the SPV-Services service is that they're independent of the networks like Voda and Orange! So this tutorial will work for you too, and you can even sim unlock your phone using SPV-Services too ;)

Matt: just updated my rom, and I'm liking the new one! the wireless manager is a hell of a lot better too :P

About the wireless manager. What is the #4 & #5 for, they are never lit up on mine.

Guest andyrap
I would like to know also. BTW How full is your memory card? If there is only a couple mb's left then it will give you problems. I had to have about 25mb's free for my memory card to behave properly.

Thanks for the replies. I will have a hunt around for the update link.

Regarding the memory card, I hardly put anything on it and it wouldn't work - 1 album worth of MP3s! Have arranged to send it back to the person who sold it to me (ebay......).

Are you using a 2GB card?

Guest mfurse
About the wireless manager. What is the #4 & #5 for, they are never lit up on mine.

4 is to switch on or cancel the push mail if it is taking place.

5 is to switch off the data service (gprs or edge) as they switch themselves on when needed!

Matt

Guest mfurse
Apart from push-email are there any other good reasons for upgrading ?

thx

Mobile Internet Explorer now has far better scrolling support (pressing 2 and 8 rapid scrolls a page at a time), the comms manager is improved to allow you to switch gprs off when its not needed, it seems quicker to connect to my WLAN (like 3 secs now instead of 30+), IE now supports frames, bluetooth stack actually talks to all my friends phones now instead of bombing, media player seems a little quicker...this is all I've spotted so far.

If you'd like these things then go for it...but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

A2DP Bluetooth stereo is not supported by default but can be enabled fairly easily using the attached Tornado_A2DP.zip package from XDA-Developers.com, but please note again - I am not responsbile if it doesn't work or worse - it breaks your phone!

Matt

Tornado_A2DP.zip

Meanwhile, this Super-CID, CID stuff is not necessary anymore. For Dangaard 8310, download from http://i.expansys.com/i/drv/to_dan_eur_209...020900_ship.exe , start the update and that's it.

It's an official QTEK 8310 ROM-Update from qtek.fi for Dangaard customers.

English, French and German language included.

And on www.smartmobil.no you can find another ROM version for Dangaard Norway (TO_DAN_NOR_2090_253112_020900_Ship.zip). There is also the version for QTEK8300 avaliable.

But I would like to know one thing... Curently ma QTEK is aplication and operator unlocked. I know that after updating to 2.09 version I will have to aplication unlock it one more time, but what about SIM lock?

If the phone was origianlly locked to some network operator (I don't know if mine was, but...) and someone had unlocked it in some way - will it be still unlocked after installing the update?

Edited by pawr

Guest flywest
And on www.smartmobil.no you can find another ROM version for Dangaard Norway (TO_DAN_NOR_2090_253112_020900_Ship.zip). There is also the version for QTEK8300 avaliable.

But I would like to know one thing... Curently ma QTEK is aplication and operator unlocked. I know that after updating to 2.09 version I will have to aplication unlock it one more time, but what about SIM lock?

If the phone was origianlly locked to some network operator (I don't know if mine was, but...) and someone had unlocked it in some way - will it be still unlocked after installing the update?

I am fairly certain it is still unlocked but not 100% certain. Does anyone know if that is the new Qtek 8300 Rom with Aku2? Has anyone installed it with English language?

Guest flywest

Actually where is the Qtek8300 ROM update on the smartmobi website??? I dont see it and would appreciate nyone pointing the right direction to the Qtek8300 ROM update in English language.

Guest pkiddie

Hi all,

It turns out that the 8310 ROM from myqtek.com seems to work flawlessly with mine which I bought from phones2udirect, for any other phones2udirect customers. Just updating it now - the 8310 ROM on Expansys didn't seem to work so thought I'd give this one a go: was about to alter the CID in desperation!

Cheers,

Paul ;)

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.

Hmm.

My Qtek 8310's IMEI # is invalid for all the above mentioned d/l sites as it wasn't distributed by any of these firms - it was bought last week in Zitech Computer, Frederiksberg, Copenhagen.

Weird. Anyone have any ideas about this? I'm buggered if I'm taking it to a service centre for updating :-/

Guest mfurse
Hmm.

My Qtek 8310's IMEI # is invalid for all the above mentioned d/l sites as it wasn't distributed by any of these firms - it was bought last week in Zitech Computer, Frederiksberg, Copenhagen.

Weird. Anyone have any ideas about this? I'm buggered if I'm taking it to a service centre for updating :-/

Yes...read the original 1st post on this topic it explains how to get the Qtek 8310 roms to load on an invalid phone despite them being valid Qtek 8310 handsets.

Matt

Guest mfurse
Hi!

I am unable to install cert.CAB, "it does not have sufficient system permissions." ;)

What to do?

The instructions about unlocking the phone have to be followed explicitly. The error is caused by an application lock not letting uncertified software be installed. By following the instructions with the RegEditSTG tool and changing some registry keys, then rebooting the phone that error will vanish!

Matt