T-Mobile HSDPA and Vario II/Other Hermes users report in...

Guest Syphon Filter

Guest Syphon Filter

Hi Guys,

I would like to know what kind of speeds you guys are seeing on your Hermes devices on the T-Mobile HSDPA service.

If anyone has any test results they would like to post then that would be great.

I am finding that I am seeing massive fluctuations in speed. From 270kpbs up to 1700kpbs. It varies wildly and I am not sure what the problem is.

Guest mattie01

the most likely problems will be signal and the site your using to test your connection, esp if the site is in the usa, as its got to contend with other trans atlantic traffic.

best thing to do if try and find a uk based site that will work with PIE. can anyone surgest one?

one thing i would propose is for when/if people add there results to this page then list,

what site you are running the test from?

where in the country you are?

browser PIE, opera, other?

also if you have applied any reg hacks, or changed the DNS servers as per paul's news post.

(now the DNS servers should not really effect bandwidth, but using different ones might mean the traffic is routed differently, which as the sites measure how long it takes to download a file, if the data takes a different route this might make a differnce if its adding extra hops along the way.) but for the sake of completness it makes sense to mention any changes that might make a difference

that will hopefully mean we are all comparing from the same base settings...

Edited by mattie01

Guest Syphon Filter
the most likely problems will be signal and the site your using to test your connection, esp if the site is in the usa, as its got to contend with other trans atlantic traffic.

best thing to do if try and find a uk based site that will work with PIE.

one thing i would propose is for when/if people add there results to this page then list,

what site you are running the test from?

where in the country you are?

browser PIE, opera, other?

also if you have applied any reg hacks, or changed the DNS servers as er paul's news post.

that will hopefully mean we are all comparing from the same base settings...

Good plan.

Guest rickwookie

When you're only getting 270k it's because the device can't find/get HSDPA so it's dropping to standard 3G (384k max). As for the 1700k fantastic! That's the best HSDPA speed I've seen reported so far.

Mine usually hovers around 1 Mbps and I've measured 1.2 Mbps plenty of times. The speed will vary, that's normal and just how it is. It's the same principle as ADSL in that the closer you are to the exchange, the faster your maximum ADSL speed can be. As you are moving around (or other environmental factors are changing) the signal between you and the base station is getting better of worse and the maximum transfer speed will adjust to do the best it can with the current connection.

It's pretty amazing really how it manages to switch between the available transports (GPRS, 3G, HSDPA etc.) without loosing the connection.

Hi guys&gals. This is my first post, yet I've had all HTC units and found them to be the best thing this side of sliced bread. Have had the Hermes for 24hours and its wicked! Am on T-mobile Flext 35 with Web&Walk and am getting an average speed of 1.2 MB per second with a signal strength of 2 bars. The GPRS monitor functions correctly always displaying the amount of data used.

Guest AndrewH13

Getting 1.2 megabits per second (bandwidthplace.com - 3G mobile setting) before HSDPA enabled. Is the higher speed (over 1) in Mbits or Mbytes?

Now had it enabled but get same speed and Vario says connecting via GPR.... Does this indicate Im not in a high speed area? Can you confirm what phone says when connected via HSPDA?

• 11 months later...
Guest pd.ryder

3 bars of 3G on dslreports.com gives me a 1Mb download at 710kbit/sec at 17:38 this evening. The network is likely to be busy this time of day so I didn't expect it to be too quick. I often get 1-1.5 Mbit/s.

I'm on W&W basic and am told that I have HSDPA enabled. No reg hacks or alternate DNS.

:)

Guest milleracer41
3 bars of 3G on dslreports.com gives me a 1Mb download at 710kbit/sec at 17:38 this evening. The network is likely to be busy this time of day so I didn't expect it to be too quick. I often get 1-1.5 Mbit/s.

I'm on W&W basic and am told that I have HSDPA enabled. No reg hacks or alternate DNS.

;)

I cant even get a 3G signal, let alone HSDPA!!!!. :P

@FlangeArtist....I notice you are in Selkirk. Where else in Scotland have you been that gets a good 3G reception?. Been up near me in Falkirk or Stirling anytime recently?. I'm having probs getting a 3G signal on my new Vario II, its just showing GPRS all the time.

pd.ryder informs me he gets a good 3G reception in Perth up in Tayside.

Apologies for going a wee bit "off topic" in the thread. Sorry!!!.

*EDIT* Scratch that.....just spotted you are living in Birmingham, but originally from Selkirk......my mistake!!.

**DOUBLE EDIT**!! :-

RESULT!!!!!

I called Tech Services this evening and asked them about it.

The tech said exactly what you have said and that no.....if you are on the 3G signal, your Vario should show the 3G icon. I told him I had exchanged the Vario II today for a replacement and that it was still not showing up as 3G.

He suggested trying a "hard reset" which I did, and now its showing this:-

capturedhx8.png

I'M HAPPY!!!! :)

No idea why it came up after a hard reset, but it did.

Edited by milleracer41

• 5 months later...
Guest codeinehq

1.44megabits per second

175.77kilobytes per second

11.629seconds

5:04 AM Fri Jan 04, 2008

thats thru my fone to my macbook pro over bluetooth pan..

lavvly jubbly my son