Request for a simpletons guide to PUSH email?

Guest MARKUKCOUK

Guest MARKUKCOUK

I've pretty much summed it up in the titles, but would someone be so kind as to explain this push stuff and what I need to do to get my currently POP3 email, pushed to my phone?

I've pretty much summed it up in the titles, but would someone be so kind as to explain this push stuff and what I need to do to get my currently POP3 email, pushed to my phone?

Mark

To put it simply you need a piece of software called Microsoft Exchange 2003 (with Service pack 2). Now, you can either run this yourself from home, but you will require decentish hardware to run it on and it has to run (ideally) on Windows 2003 Server (standard or enterprise). Both these bits of software are very expensive for the average home user but you can download trials (180 days) of both. Alternatively you can use a combined copy called Windows 2003 Small Business Server which combines both products (plus others) in one neat package for ... you've guessed it... small businesses. The product retails at around

The other option is for someone like mail2web or emoze who provide a service to push your POP3 mail to your phone.

For free as well :D

If I used something like mail2web for push with my gmail account does its use flag items in gmail as downloaded, i.e. if I then do a POP send receive on my laptop will I get those messages that have been pushed to my phone again on the laptop?

Guest randomelements
If I used something like mail2web for push with my gmail account does its use flag items in gmail as downloaded, i.e. if I then do a POP send receive on my laptop will I get those messages that have been pushed to my phone again on the laptop?

Don't know to be honest, sorry :D

Don't know to be honest, sorry :D

I have a filter on my Gmail account to only forward certain items to my Mail2Web account; when I look at my Gmail inbox in my browser, those forwarded messages are "marked as read" and I also don't get them when I sync my Gmail account with my phone.....

Presumably, the same would be true if you're syncing with Outlook/whatever on your laptop - only real way to find out is to try it....the Mail2Web live service is free, so you've got nothing to lose IMHO

HTH,

Mark.

One thing to be aware of with mail2web is how it accesses POP3 accounts. If you forward your mail FROM POP3 TO web2mail everything is ok. If you use web2mail's email aggregator to collect mail from other POP3 accounts the emails will be deleted from that account's inbox.

Stu

Guest MARKUKCOUK

Most helpful everyone.

I certainly wouldn't host it myself. Would mail2web live do what I need for free then? and more importantly will it also allow pop3 access? (or exchange server access)?

I know fasthosts offer exchange email too...

Guys,

Fasthosts are going on about "Good Mobile Messaging (GoodLink)"

But I thought everything for push email was already build into the M3100?

emoze seemed to want me to download their client for it to work, so I think I will look into mail2web. I really wish you could tell gmail not to mark items as read. Hhhhmmm, perhaps I should set up a rule to forward every email to mail2web and back to myself with the exception of emails originating from my gmail address. That might work? Doubles the strain on my gmail account though when all I need is a simple, "Do not mark as read" function!

EDIT - To set up mail to web I just went into the Control Panel after setting up my account, went into the Activesync tab and then had them SMS a link to a setup.cab. Downloaded and installed that and it setup up Async to synchronise data with their server and gave me the Push email option in Comms manager which goes into the Outlook Inbox on my phone. Currently have gmail forwarding all incoming mail to the mail2web account which gives my push access on my device and allows me to download the same messages via gmails pop. Now all I need to do is figure out a way of NOT receiving the hundreds of emails that will turn up between times that I use Push. I think I will either need to disable the forward in gmail when not in use or learn to go to mail2web and clear out the inbox just before I go out of the office. Unless anyone has any better suggestion??????

Edited by Dr Who

Guest cseilern

i use gmail to spam filter my outlook mail. i.e. all mail goes to gmail, and is then forwarded onto a hosted exchange mailbox.

that mailbox then does a wireless activesync which pushes the email onto my mda vario II.

looking at this thread, though, i think you guys need to distinguish between push technologies (whether they be imap, activesync/directpush or even blackberry) and pop.

pop, for the most part MOVES your email to the place you are reading it (e.g. do a POP3 send/receive from your desktop pc on your google account, and the mail leaves the google server, ends up on your desktop pc. it is no longer on your google account [this is not universally true per se, as you can set your email to remain on your pop server but that is another story and creates duplicates anyway]

push mail, on the other hand, KEEPS your mail on the server, and you use your device (whether a PC, or a PDA) to LOOK at (or SYNC) that mail. So the mail STAYS on the server.

So, if you want to move on from POP your option are simple:

1) if you are on an unlimited data plan (e.g. t-mob's web n walk), simply make the pocket POP account do a send/receive every minute. takes one second to set up, will generate lots of traffic (but who cares? you pay a flat fee for all you can eat data). this is not true push, but it will be virtually the same as your pda will check mails 1440 times every day. instant gratification and little change to your current setup.

2) see if your provider offers imap idle. again, no too much change (you keep your inbox), but instead of accessing it with pop, you access it with imap (i.e. mail stays on server and is available from any type of client - useful if you want to check your mail with a PDA, a PC or a webmail client - i.e. you dont have to remember whether or not your pop client downloaded it from the server, one of the shortcomings of solution #1 above). make sure, though that the servcie provider specifically offers imap idle (not all do) which is the push functionality of imap. you also need and imap idle enabled mail client (i only know of two: vgsmail and flexmail, neither of which is great), or, as with above, you can set the send/receive frequency ridculously low if you are on an unlimited data plan.

But proabably the best solution is:

3) GET A HOSTED EXCHANGE ACCOUNT - 1and1.com and 4smartphone.com are two that spring to mind (both<

Edited by cseilern

Guest MARKUKCOUK

Chris,

Option 3 is what interests me... am I right in thinking that the stuff from fasthosts would work with this, and I wouldnt have to install their crappy software?

i use gmail to spam filter my outlook mail. i.e. all mail goes to gmail, and is then forwarded onto a hosted exchange mailbox.

that mailbox then does a wireless activesync which pushes the email onto my mda vario II.

I use my gmail account for work and it would be impossible to change my address. What I want to do is keep my inbox tidy and in sync across two laptops and my Vario II.

The easiest way would appear to be a hosted exchange account where I can set my reply to address as originating from @gmail.com but I am trying to figure out if it is possible without spending any money.

At the moment I would say that it probably isn't given the way that gmail ignores 'Do Not Download Messages' settings or at least marks all downloaded items as read so they cannot be downloaded on any other device.

If it had that functionality I could set my home laptop and Vario II to not mark those messages read and all mail would appear in my work laptop anyway.

I should be able to use the Vario II as a bridge between the two laptops and keep both laptops AND the Vario in sync that way but due to my gross untidyness my work Inbox is running to about 2000 messages at the moment.

Fasthosts is a weird one,

They do mention Active Sync in all their blurb, but then would they push the goodlink software for realtime email. I'd contact them and explicitly ask do they support Exchange Activesync and Direct Push.

If anyone wants to sync large mailboxes without using the PDA as an in between then Easy2Sync is probably your best bet, not free though.

Guest cseilern
Chris,

Option 3 is what interests me... am I right in thinking that the stuff from fasthosts would work with this, and I wouldnt have to install their crappy software?

i looked at fasthosts and i remembered them as expensive...

1and1.com (which i use) are cheap $7/month for a 1 gig mailbox with directpush have a rep for horrific tech support, but i dont care

4smartphone.net also always gets mentions. cheap with a 1 gig mailbox

there are litterally hundreds of exchange hosts out there, but the main thing is to look for DIRECTPUSH support (i.e. they need to be running a certain version of MS Exchange for this to work) and to AVOID good technology (not necessarily a bad product, but why install it when you have all the push stuff already installed in the first place?)