ActiveSync breaks Vodafone Mobile Connect

Guest Fred01

I've got a Vodafone 3G data card that I've been using with my laptop for a while. About 2 weeks ago I installed ActiveSync 4.2 for my new Palm Treo 750v.

Now, when I try to connect to the internet using the Vodafone Mobile Connect software that drives the 3G card, I get an error "Error 720: No PPP Control Protocols Configured". Apparently, this indicates some weird problem with dial-up networking.

After much googling, I have tried to reset TCP/IP as well as Winsock, as well as re-installing Mobile Connect. No joy. The only way I have found to date to use the 3G card is to rollback using System Restore to the point before I installed ActiveSync. So that's what I'm currently doing: Install ActiveSync if I want to sync my Treo, then rollback to access the internet. Install ActiveSync again to sync... you get the idea. Not satisfying.

Two people here in the office successfully use both ActiveSync for the smartphones as well as Mobile Connect, so this sounds like something that should be fixable. Well, it may even be that it's not ActiveSync but something else Treo-related that causes this.

Does anyone have any ideas on this before I revert to an old Ghost image and claw my way back from there?

Have you tried uninstalling mobile connect and removing the hardware entry in device manager, rebooting, installing async then installing mobile connect.

I think mobile connect is a pretty chaff piece of software - it managed to nuke my wireless connection when I installed it on my laptop, which I had to reinstall from the ground up.