Problem using SP5 as a BT modem for my Laptop

Guest trevdixon

Guest trevdixon

Hi,

I'm trying to use my SP5 as a bluetooth modem so I can use my laptop when I'm out and about.

I've paired the SP5 to my windows XP laptop and created a new connection. The created connection is bluetooth DUN and I can get it connected no problem at 115kps.

Now when I try to launch internet explorer I get the cannot connect error? It must be something really simple to get it to view web pages as I know I have got the modem connected. Can someone please help me as it's driving me crazy! :rolleyes:

Who is your service provider? Whoever it is, you need to find out first if they support DUN, and if they do what their settings are. Just creating the BT DUN connection is the first step. It connects your phone and your PC. You then need to have a connection configured to connect your phone to your provider, which will use the BT DUN connection you have established.

Guest trevdixon

Im in the UK and using O2. I'm going to get a t mobile pay as you go sim card. They're only 50p to buy and charge you a maximum of £1 for unlimited data use!.

As far as my problem with my current DUN connection. I looked around on the web to find the correct settings which were

username : mobileweb

password : password

number to dial : *99#

using these settings i have established a good connection via my phones modem (115 kbps) but cant use the web browser on my laptop? I thought my sim card must be data enabled as it lets me view web pages on my phone?

Im in the UK and using O2. I'm going to get a t mobile pay as you go sim card. They're only 50p to buy and charge you a maximum of £1 for unlimited data use!.

As far as my problem with my current DUN connection. I looked around on the web to find the correct settings which were

username : mobileweb

password : password

number to dial : *99#

using these settings i have established a good connection via my phones modem (115 kbps) but cant use the web browser on my laptop? I thought my sim card must be data enabled as it lets me view web pages on my phone?

Can you get to IP addresses? Could be DNS.

Most probably o2 being retarded though!

Guest trevdixon
Can you get to IP addresses? Could be DNS.

Most probably o2 being retarded though!

Sorry I don't really understand IP addresses and DNS stuff :rolleyes:

What I have been doing is turning off my laptops built in wireless adapter which i normally use for my internet connection, then turning on my bluetooth DUN connection. I get a little bubble pop up from the taskbar of my desktop saying ' DUN connection now connected at 115kbps'. Then I try to go to my homepage (google) but get this message :

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:

You are not connected to the Internet.

The website is encountering problems.

There might be a typing error in the address.

Like I said I can access web pages without a problem on the phone its self? but not through my web browser on the laptop.

.......................................aaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhh.............

I've found the 50p PAYG SIM cards, but where does it say £1 data use?

Guest chucky.egg

I've never tried this sort of connection myself, but I think the connection balloon you get is referring to the connection between the laptop and the phone, not the connection to the internet - gprs has a maximum speed of about 50 kbps, but is typically closer to 30

the £1 charge is per day. If you're using it daily you'll be better off with a cheap tariff and Web and Walk

Guest trevdixon

hi,

just to update i've managed to get it all working now, just needed to add a line in the extra initialization command box thats in the advanced properties of the modem.