Run to Cingular and buy your Blackjack!

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest nickcornaglia
samsung-blackjack-l.gif

Nothing anyone didn't know was coming (except for every Cingular Store rep I spoke to)...

...but the Cingular Samsung Blackjack (SGH-i607) is available for purchase today in stores and online, for the TINY price of $199 (including 2-yr contract and $100 rebate).

It's 1am here on the US East Coast and in about 11 hours, I'm hoping to have one in my hands...if my local stores had them shipped to them on time to arrive yesterday or today.

If you don't know the specs, here they are again, making this one sweet landscape Smartphone device...on paper. I know, I know...no WiFi. But what do you need WiFi for when you have blazing UMTS/HSDPA speeds?! (If you are lucky enough...like me...to be in a 3G supported market). :)

Overview
The Samsung BlackJack is a Cingular exclusive that is a stylish and compact 3G PDA for both work and play. With Microsoft® Windows Mobile 5, personal and corporate email and support for Cingular Video and Cingular Music, the Samsung BlackJack does it all.

Included Features
-Microsoft® Windows Mobile 5.0 Edition
-Mobile versions of Microsoft® Office applications
-Windows Media Player® 10 Mobile
-Bluetooth v2.0® wireless connectivity
-Simultaneous voice and data capabilities
-Quad-band world phone with dual-band UMTS/HSDPA
-Slim design PDA with full QWERTY keyboard
-1.3 megapixel camera with 2x zoom and video
-Cingular Music, Cingular Video and MEdia Net capable
-Microsoft® Direct Push for real-time email delivery
-Mobile Outlook®, Word®, Excel®, PowerPoint®, and PDF support
-Email - Xpress Mail, Good Mobile Messaging, ActiveSync, and more
-Synchronize your desktop and calendar wirelessly
-Hands-free loudspeaker and microphone
-Instant messaging capabilities
-Fast loading full HTML web browser

Technical Specs
-Weight: 3.5 ounces
-Dimensions:4.4 x 2.3 x .05 inches
-Talk Time: Up to 5.5 hours
-Standby Time: Up to 11 days
-Dual-band domestic UMTS/HSDPA - 850/1900 MHz
-Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE - 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
-220 MHz TI processor
-128 MB ROM / 64 MB RAM
-Large 2.2" 320x240 65k color screen with backlight
-MicroSD expansion slot supports up to a 2 GB card
-Bluetooth® v2.0 for up to six Bluetooth connections simultaneously
-Warranty: 1 year on the phone and accessories
-All talk, data and standby times depend on network configuration

CLICK HERE FOR THE CINGULAR WEBSITE (Enter in 90210 if it requires a zip code)

Guest nickcornaglia

Here is a promotional video I found on Cingular while scouring their site and modifying URLs to try to find the launch pages!

Copy and paste this into your browser. (I can't make this post NOT add a "http://" in front of it):

mms://a1720.v16731c.c16731.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1720/16731/1163360/stream-1.onstreammedia.com/cdn_stream/multivu/6008/26058_56-150k.wmv

Here is a fact sheet:

CLICK HERE

And here is the reviewer guide:

CLICK HERE

All from this page:

CLICK HERE

-Mobile versions of Microsoft® Office applications

-Windows Media Player® 10 Mobile

-Bluetooth v2.0® wireless connectivity

-Simultaneous voice and data capabilities

-Quad-band world phone with dual-band UMTS/HSDPA

-Slim design PDA with full QWERTY keyboard

-1.3 megapixel camera with 2x zoom and video

-Cingular Music, Cingular Video and MEdia Net capable

-Microsoft® Direct Push for real-time email delivery

-Mobile Outlook®, Word®, Excel®, PowerPoint®, and PDF support

CLICK HERE FOR THE CINGULAR WEBSITE (Enter in 90210 if it requires a zip code)

I am not sure I understand but on the smartphone Windows 5.0 Edition there are no excel and word editing application available today or has this now changed?

keen to know.

Guest Pondrew

It's got HSPDA! :D Excellent! Now I still don't think this is the device for me but it's close...

Been waiting ages for this processor... no more will we have to put up with poor battery life due to having the 3G chip seperate from the processor. Texas Instruments battery life combined with mobile broadband will leave me a happy man :)

If I could get this in a conventional Smartphone candybar style or this spec in a decent Pocket PC Phone I'd be happy...

Guest Sonicr360

Ok now THIS is the device I have been looking for.

I own a D900 as well, which is great.

Shame there is no Wi-Fi here! Thats a shame.

Now, I am in the UK - so whats the deal... is it coming over here? It seems to refer to a service provider from the US.

My opinion - a Great Device. Always likes Samsung since the D500 - this is the must have.

Problems I see - No WiFi and possibility of latest version of Windows Mobile coming soon, which may make this OS look slightly dated.

Comments? BTW, I want Wi-Fi because its what I use at work, at home and on the go - others may disagreee, but I dont know what 3G costs are these days.

Regards

Simon

Look forward to your thoughts once you get your hands one one these encece, given the rate you change phones I figure your hard to please :)

gr

Edited by Guest

Guest Pondrew

Yeah, still surprised the HTC Tornado didn't win him over as it's probably the best all round Windows Mobile device I've ever used. Still not enough to make me give up the benefits of the Pocket PC Phone, especially not since the MDA Vario II (HTC Hermes) came out...

Yeah, still surprised the HTC Tornado didn't win him over as it's probably the best all round Windows Mobile device I've ever used. Still not enough to make me give up the benefits of the Pocket PC Phone, especially not since the MDA Vario II (HTC Hermes) came out...

have to agree with you on the Tornado, its the best phone I ever had although the more I use the dash the more I'm likeing it :) it could move up to no 1

Guest Pondrew

The Dash appeals but for the fact I've decided to have two devices these days, one Pocket PC Phone and a smaller Smartphone, and the size of the Dash puts me off. Still rather fond of the traditional candybar phone design...

Guest nickcornaglia
The Dash appeals but for the fact I've decided to have two devices these days, one Pocket PC Phone and a smaller Smartphone, and the size of the Dash puts me off. Still rather fond of the traditional candybar phone design...

To tell you the truth....I'd rather have a candybar too. Not 100% sold on the need for keyboards...but I want to give it a shot. Plus I'd like to really try out a landscape screen to see how comfortable I am with it on the apps I use. Soon, soon, soon. Waiting for my local stires to get their shipments in.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Believe it or not, HTC S620 is my main device atm.

The missus really loves her MDACIII, and I have to say, having the integrated GPS is awesome... and i'm thinking of some great applications for it!

I think the Glofiish X500, Eten P535 or GPS-fixed-trinity could really be great for me... i'm a bit tired of the Herme's size (even tho I love the keyboard).

P

Guest nickcornaglia

Got it! \o/ Just came back rom the store. They messed up my new contract info and cant make calls for some reason....so I'm calling right now to get it straightened out.

Beautiful phone though. Alot smaller than I thought. Feels like half the weight of my SP5m.

More deets later! :)

Got it! \o/ Just came back rom the store. They messed up my new contract info and cant make calls for some reason....so I'm calling right now to get it straightened out.

Beautiful phone though. Alot smaller than I thought. Feels like half the weight of my SP5m.

More deets later! :D

lucky £"$"£%$£ :)

keep us posted!

Guest rklosinski

Well, got mine. I have and i320, so its very simular. Basically, its very cool. For some reason, it cost me 179.34 out the door. What a deal.

I did not pay the $40/mo for the high speed data (yet).

The screen is a bit bigger, and for some reason, sharper.

Its charging right now while Im loading all my favorite programs.

Report back when I use it a bit.

Edited by rklosinski

Guest nickcornaglia

For everyone's information...

You DO NOT need to get the $49.99 Data plan the store reps say you need to get.

I called as soon as I got back to the office and changed the data plan to "Smartphone Unlimited All 4" which the phone rep said was burried in the system a bit. I still have 3G speeds and all is well.

That plan includes 1000 text messages/month. There is a $19.99 Unlimited plan that only includes 200 text messages/month.

There seems to be some confusion at Cingular whether to lable this as a Smartphone or a PDA. (I personally dont see a difference, but since their PDA plans are more expensive....I'm not complaining about the switch). :)

Guest nickcornaglia

Lots of cool little extras built in including Picsel Viewer (like clearview), an RSS Reader (not sure which one this is, it's not one I've used before), Smart Search app (by SyncData), Notepad (by MITs), D-Day (by MITs...a date countdown app), A Stopwatch app, A Conversion App, And an Alarms app that hold 7 alarms.

As well as Cingular Music, Video, & Music

....more to come.

Guest rklosinski

An odd thing is happening... I have had the phone connected to my computer for 2+ hours, and the battery is still not fully charged.

Also, I just have the media net unlimited at 19/mo. They did not try to sell me the upgrade at all, which is odd. They did say that the phone will not be provisioned for the 3g network... we will see.

Guest Paul (MVP)
An odd thing is happening... I have had the phone connected to my computer for 2+ hours, and the battery is still not fully charged.

Also, I just have the media net unlimited at 19/mo. They did not try to sell me the upgrade at all, which is odd. They did say that the phone will not be provisioned for the 3g network... we will see.

My i320 is the same... doesn't seem to get a real good charge via USB.

P

Guest nickcornaglia

Oooooo....some nice homescreen features

There are a few nice homescreens that include some proprietary plugins.

One has a Analog clock.

The next has a calendar.

The last has a POPUP screen that you can hide additional plugins. So you can probably have two homescreens in one!

(Screenshots to come later)

All three screens also include a media player plugin that shows what's playing.

Last there is a Black Scheme that make the top and bottom bars COMPLETELY black. Does it work on other phones...'cause here it is!

They also have outlined text (black text outlined in white) so you can see text when in front of a pic!

black.scheme.xml

Guest nickcornaglia
wow... I just did a speed test using dslreports.com... got a rate og 193kbits/second...the best I ever got with edge in this area was 53kbits/sec.

Ha! That's a crawl compared to my 824 kbit/sec on the 1M test! :)

Anyone know where to get an audio adapter (to standard 2.5mm or 3.5mm) for this phone?

alot of stores carry them, not sure where your based? If you've got an electrical/computer store near you you should find them there.

just google

3.5 to 2.5 headphone adapter

and it'll turn up a few

Guest dpbaker
alot of stores carry them, not sure where your based? If you've got an electrical/computer store near you you should find them there.

just google

3.5 to 2.5 headphone adapter

and it'll turn up a few

I've found them, but not sure if they fit the connector of this specific phone. Do you know if the connector on this phone match other previous Samsung phones?

Guest rklosinski

Well, my frist complete day with the phone and two charged batteries. It was a complete loss.

First, I had to go to Portland OR from my home in Sacramento CA (about 500miles). When I got there, my phone would not work consistently. I could make a phone cal or two, then I would loose service. Power cycling the phone would give me another call or two, then that was it.

Then there was battery life. about 8 hours per battery. Since the phone was acting screwy, it may have been prematurely draining the battery.

As usual, calling Zingualr support gave no help. Usual stupid suggestions (power cycle phone even after I told them I have done it 100 times, remove the battery, etc).

Now that Im back home, the phone is in working order. Today, Im off to San Fransisco CA, so I hope my phone does not go crazy again.

Personally, I think Zingular has a problem either with the 3g phones, or correctly provisioning my phone.

I'll report back latter on battery and phone usage.

Rich

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.