Zune on Vista

Guest PaulOBrien

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shreder

YESS!

Worked great! only thing i had to do not outline (was in anothers reply tho) was show the computer where the driver was.. Many Many Thanx.. I sat on the phone with "Zune" support.. Only to listen to them run back and forth on the phone each time a XP command wasent present on my Vista Machine.. Kudos!

Guest Massimo Bono

:) Dear Paul... you are GREAT!

I'll tell you more. I am an italian user, so I have not the english SO as asked by the installation and I have Vista too.

Your system works GREAT but I add an... ad.

Instead to change the compatibility of the program launcher (the .exe file) you have to download the last installer you find on the Zune.net. In this way the software will find a new upgrade of Zune and will install it with the new features for Vista.

Thanks again... :D

Guest Sogellagepul
The proper Zune Vista app is now out!

http://www.zune.net/en-us/meetzune/software.htm

Finally!

Includes a new firmware update too...

P

Is that only for the Final Build? Or RC2 as well? Because I tried it on RC2 and it says my OS is not compatible. Ahh, anyways, I'll be getting my Final Build of Vista soon after call and redeem my free one that I got when I bought my laptop. :)

Guest SlakerBoi

Hey guys - problem with Live messenger...

i should have received my free upgrade for vista but for some reason it has not arrived yet.

well, im still using this evil RC1 and followed instructions to install the zune on it and yeah... it worked just great!

but....

windows live messenger simply stopped working.

it just not stopped working as it has become an "immortal" process which i can't just kill it, it sticks to the system and does not let me even turn the computer off unless i hold the shut down button for some seconds. i've managed to uninstall it but it simply can't be installed again, gives an error message and the boring roll-back in the end.

if it's not a bit late to get some help, you guys please post something, would help a lot.

by the way, im loving my zune... it's great!

Guest DavidJGross
Do a manual install, it hapened to me too. Go to devise manager an update the drivers. choose the location where Zune installed and it will find the drivers.

Thanks for the info. I tried it and finally got my Zune working. The question that I have is this: If you guys can get it working and post how to it to the internet, then why wont f***ing Microsoft do the same thing. I mean, the compatability issue can't be that bad if you had the time and energy to write a patch and post it for free. WTF?

Guest DavidJGross
You can just download the Zune software from the Zune site now... the official release is now Vista compatible!

P

That might be true, but I couldn't get it to work. The only thing that I have found that works is your patch.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest barfoo
i followed the instructions did the reboot and started the app in compatibility mode however the app just doesn't load.

It's there in the Task Manager when I view it, however nothing comes up, any suggestions?

Well, the same thing happens to me, except that the Zune Launcher.exe file appears in the task manager, but I don't see anything pop up on the screen or in the toolbar. Thanks for the hack though, even then 'official' fix didn't work for me.

I just hope Paul or someone else is still here to help me with this. ><

Guest Marquis3000

So I got the Zune Sofware to work on Vista, Thanks alot! But I was wondering if by any chance was there a Hard Drive Hack for the Vista version? The Registry Keys are different from those in XP.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chrissy d.

howdy

so, i was able to install the program...but i am having a helluva time trying to install the driver. i tried manually...but it doesn't want to recognize the info within the zune folder on the desktop..? <_<

thanks

Guest blacksea1

Hi, Thank you for the post, I followed your instruction, software installs and then rolls back, I'm loged-in as a administrator, Thanks

Guest RadicalxEdwardx

Forgive me for sounding Technologically illiterate, but I'm trying to run the msi from the cmd and it keeps telling me the file name is not a recognized internal or external command. Is there something I should type before C:\...etc. ? Thanks.

Guest Shorti2382

I'm absolutely frustrated with Vista in general. There should definitely not be soooooooooooooooo many freaking hoops to jump through just to DL a program. I bought a Zune today because I let my Zen player go swimming in a soda. I bought my gateway laptop last month and it came with vista home premium of course. I tried to hook up my Zune via the install cd....no go. Then I went to Zune's site.....no go. Each time it says software not found. I called Zune customer service. After sitting on the phone explaining things they told me to remove adobe flash9 active x blah blah. They state it should run smoothly....surprise surprise no go. The lady proceeded to tell me to call Vista and find out if I "have the beta version"....which I don't. I came online to this website and attempted to do what everyone else was saying is working. That doesn't even work for me. I can't even begin to DL it to even pull the msi up on the command prompt. It never loads successfully. WHAT IN THE WORLD IS WRONG WITH THIS CRAP. I should have gone back to my ipod or zen but I thought they bothed sucked. Please help....I'm beyond frustrated.

Guest barfoo

Ok, Windows Update won't let me get the 1.3 firmware update (due to Error 529, which means Windows thinks the software isn't legit). Is there any work around for this?

Edited by barfoo

Guest thebrooster

ok i got a brand new computer with windows vista already installed on it and when i go to the zune website to get the vista update it says it cant detect my opperating system what the heck do i do?

Guest egypt2
As many of you will know, I recently purchased a Microsoft Zune player (to replace my lost iPod, which never surfaced no thanks to crappy Iberia!). Unfortunately, days before the arrival of my Zune from the USA, I made the switch to Windows Vista. This meant that, when the Zune arrived, I couldn't sync it up with my media-stuffed laptop, as in their infinite wisdom, Microsoft have decided NOT to make a Vista friendly version of the software available yet.

post-1-1164190118_thumb.jpg

DOH!

So I set about seeing if the XP software could run happily on Vista! It does... and here's how I did it!

Prerequisites

You need 3 things to carry out this process.

1. Zune CD - You need the CD that came with your Zune ;)

2. WinRAR - You need WinRAR installed, the trial version is fine. Get it here

3. My Zune.msi install patch - You need the all important installer patch, from here: zunevista.exe

Before we start

Usual caveats apply, if your PC / Zune blows up, don't blame me (but it's working fine for me!)

The process itself is dead easy, and i've broken everything down to be as simple as possible... so don't be daunted that there's a lot of steps (well, only 10!) :D I have UAC enabled on my Vista build (the default), if you don't, then you can ignore any steps related to running things as an administrator.

Finally, don't actually plug in your Zune until prompted to do so by the Zune software.

Let's get started!

Instructions

1. Create a directory on your desktop called 'Zune'. You can delete this at the end, it's a temporary storage area.

2. Copy the 'zunevista.exe' file you downloaded above to this new directory.

2. Put your Zune CD in the CD drive. In the 'Packages\ZUNE' directory you'll find a file called 'Zune-x86-ENU.exe'. Copy that to the folder you just created.

3. This bit is why you need WinRAR! Right click the file you've just copied, and select 'Extract Here'.

4. You now have 'Zune.msi' right? Great! You can now delete 'Zune-x86-ENU.exe'.

5. Now we're going to patch the MSI to install on Vista using my patch. Double click 'zunevista.exe'. You'll get prompted by Windows to allow the application to run. Allow it :)

6. You'll see the patch run, and it will tell you it's successfully completed. Hurrah! You now have a Vista friendly zune.msi! You can delete zunevista.exe now.

We now need to run the MSI, but with elevated permissions, which is a bit of a pain. You can't just right click an MSI and do 'run as administrator', so you have to jump through some hoops.

7. Click the 'start orb' or press the windows key, and type 'cmd'. You'll see the cmd application is selected, but DON'T hit enter. Hit CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER instead! You'll be instantly prompted for permission to run the application, indicating that it will be running with elevated permissions.

8. We need to run the MSI now. Type the following 'C:\Users\Paul\Desktop\Zune\Zune.msi', obviously replacing the path as appropriate for your configuration.

I tried typing it in but it always had some errors except when I tried typing it in the regular cmd

You'll now be led through the Zune setup! Hurrah! Just install as normal, and when the install is finished... REBOOT. This is not an optional step, you MUST do this!

There is only one step left now, and that is to set the Zune software itself to run in XP Compatability mode. This is because MS have implemented an OS check in the software.

9. Click the 'start orb' or press the windows key, and type 'Zune'. You'll see the Zune application itself on the list - right click it, and select 'Properties'. Select the 'Compatability' tab and check 'Run this program in compatability mode for'. Click OK.

That's it! You're done! :( You can use the Desktop or Start Menu shortcut for Zune to launch the software, and get syncing! :)

I hope this is useful, and worked, so please post below with feedback!

P

zunevista.jpg

Guest egypt2
As many of you will know, I recently purchased a Microsoft Zune player (to replace my lost iPod, which never surfaced no thanks to crappy Iberia!). Unfortunately, days before the arrival of my Zune from the USA, I made the switch to Windows Vista. This meant that, when the Zune arrived, I couldn't sync it up with my media-stuffed laptop, as in their infinite wisdom, Microsoft have decided NOT to make a Vista friendly version of the software available yet.

post-1-1164190118_thumb.jpg

DOH!

So I set about seeing if the XP software could run happily on Vista! It does... and here's how I did it!

Prerequisites

You need 3 things to carry out this process.

1. Zune CD - You need the CD that came with your Zune ;)

2. WinRAR - You need WinRAR installed, the trial version is fine. Get it here

3. My Zune.msi install patch - You need the all important installer patch, from here: zunevista.exe

Before we start

Usual caveats apply, if your PC / Zune blows up, don't blame me (but it's working fine for me!)

The process itself is dead easy, and i've broken everything down to be as simple as possible... so don't be daunted that there's a lot of steps (well, only 10!) :D I have UAC enabled on my Vista build (the default), if you don't, then you can ignore any steps related to running things as an administrator.

Finally, don't actually plug in your Zune until prompted to do so by the Zune software.

Let's get started!

Instructions

1. Create a directory on your desktop called 'Zune'. You can delete this at the end, it's a temporary storage area.

2. Copy the 'zunevista.exe' file you downloaded above to this new directory.

2. Put your Zune CD in the CD drive. In the 'Packages\ZUNE' directory you'll find a file called 'Zune-x86-ENU.exe'. Copy that to the folder you just created.

3. This bit is why you need WinRAR! Right click the file you've just copied, and select 'Extract Here'.

4. You now have 'Zune.msi' right? Great! You can now delete 'Zune-x86-ENU.exe'.

5. Now we're going to patch the MSI to install on Vista using my patch. Double click 'zunevista.exe'. You'll get prompted by Windows to allow the application to run. Allow it :)

6. You'll see the patch run, and it will tell you it's successfully completed. Hurrah! You now have a Vista friendly zune.msi! You can delete zunevista.exe now.

We now need to run the MSI, but with elevated permissions, which is a bit of a pain. You can't just right click an MSI and do 'run as administrator', so you have to jump through some hoops.

7. Click the 'start orb' or press the windows key, and type 'cmd'. You'll see the cmd application is selected, but DON'T hit enter. Hit CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER instead! You'll be instantly prompted for permission to run the application, indicating that it will be running with elevated permissions.

8. We need to run the MSI now. Type the following 'C:\Users\Paul\Desktop\Zune\Zune.msi', obviously replacing the path as appropriate for your configuration.

You'll now be led through the Zune setup! Hurrah! Just install as normal, and when the install is finished... REBOOT. This is not an optional step, you MUST do this!

There is only one step left now, and that is to set the Zune software itself to run in XP Compatability mode. This is because MS have implemented an OS check in the software.

9. Click the 'start orb' or press the windows key, and type 'Zune'. You'll see the Zune application itself on the list - right click it, and select 'Properties'. Select the 'Compatability' tab and check 'Run this program in compatability mode for'. Click OK.

That's it! You're done! :( You can use the Desktop or Start Menu shortcut for Zune to launch the software, and get syncing! :)

I hope this is useful, and worked, so please post below with feedback!

P

zunevista.jpg

I followed all the steps but when i click on the zune shortcut it doesnt do anything. its like it just ignors my command. what did i do wrong?

Guest nike62

help paul please.

i followed your directions but when i run cmd with the file zune.msi appears a message: "an error ocurred while applying security settings users is not a valid user or group. this could be a problem with the package or a problem conecting to a domain controller on the network". it appears at the end of the installation. im logged as administrator thanks in advance