W810i - Web'n'walk message confusion

Guest mupwangle

Guest mupwangle

I've just got the W810i on T-mobile. When you try and go into Opera Mini it gives the following message - "

The web'n'walk phone that you are using is designed to access the internet using a new network technology that is planned for launch on the 1st of May".

The w810i isn't UMTS compatible (AFAIK) but does have EDGE, although I'd heard that EDGE wasn't coming to the UK. Anyone any ideas? It is a tad annoying as I can't use the net on it at all. :)

Guest dr who
I've just got the W810i on T-mobile. When you try and go into Opera Mini it gives the following message - "

The web'n'walk phone that you are using is designed to access the internet using a new network technology that is planned for launch on the 1st of May".

The w810i isn't UMTS compatible (AFAIK) but does have EDGE, although I'd heard that EDGE wasn't coming to the UK. Anyone any ideas? It is a tad annoying as I can't use the net on it at all. :)

Was Opera preinstalled? That message could only be supplied by T-Mob - Opera isn't going to know that you are on T-Mob. The GPRS network should be available though. You may need to change which network it is using to access mobile data, although I have no idea where you would find the settings.

BTW, EDGE has limited availability on Orange but I don't know about other carriers.

Guest petencl
Was Opera preinstalled?

Yep, T-Mob phones are coming pre-installed with a T-Mobile branded Opera Mini (called "Web'N'Walk" in the menus). Looks like T-Mob are going to be running their own Opera Mini gateway, starting May 1st, which is nice, saves having to install the Opera one!

• 2 months later...
Guest mupwangle
I asume you got it sorted? What was it?

Not sure what was really going on but it Opera Mini just became active mid-may. No idea whether it is just GPRS or EDGE or whatever. Works OK though.