BBC Mobile Newstracker

Guest stevo_knuckles

Guest stevo_knuckles

Not seen this posted before so I thought I would mention it. The BBc News tracker gives you access to the latest top stories from World, UK, Entertainment and Sports straight to your mobilephone.

_41070026_headlinesindex.gif_41070030_headlinesstory.gif

What does it do?

The application will grab the latest headlines for you, either on demand or automatically (depending on the capabilities of your device).

Why are we launching it?

The BBC is seeking to raise awareness that BBC News and Sport content is available on mobile devices and also make it as simple as possible for users to get to BBC content using their device.

How do I get the application?

It is free to download. If you text HEADLINES to 88822 we will send you a link.

What content is available in the application?

The top stories from World, UK, Entertainment and Sport.

When does it update?

You can update the headlines at any time at the click of a button. Where your device supports automatic updates, the headlines will update at 0800, 1200, 1630 and 2000 GMT.

How do I switch off updates?

If your device supports automatic updates you can switch them off at any time by selecting Stop Updates in the application's Options menu.

Do I need this application to get BBC News on my mobile?

No. BBC News is universally available for connected mobile devices. Just go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/news/ on your device or text NEWS to 81010 and we'll send you a link.

Will it work on any network?

Yes, although you need to be able to access the internet from your device. If you are unsure, ask your network provider about accessing the internet from your device and what data charges apply. Warning! Some network data charges are high.

What technology is this using?

The application is available in either Java MIDP 2.0 or Flash Lite, depending on your device. The Mobizines concept (which the BBC News Headlines Tracker is part of) has been developed by independent company Refresh Mobile Ltd. The Flash version does a timed pull 4 times a day on the BBC's WAP RSS feeds. The Java MIDP 2.0 version currently provides on-demand updates only.

The list of devices supported according the BBC website are as follows

What handsets will it work on?Sony Ericsson

SE K700

SE K750

SE D750

SE V800

SE Z800

SE V600

SE K608i

SE K600

SE W800

SE S700

SE F500

SE K500

SE Z1010 Nokia

Nokia 6630

Nokia 6680

Nokia 6681

Nokia 6682

Nokia 7610

Nokia 6670

Nokia 6260

Nokia 6600

Nokia 6230

Nokia 6020

Nokia 6230i Motorola

Motorola E1000

Motorola RAZR

Motorola V980

Motorola V545

Motorola V400

Motorola V300

Motorola V180

Motorloa E398

Motorola C980

Motorola C975

Windows Mobile

T-Mobile SDA

T-Mobile SDA Music

Orange SPV C550

Orange SPV C500

i-mate SP3i

i-mate SP3 Samsung

Samsung SGH-D500

Samsung SGH-Z500

LG

LG V8330

LG V8380

Now the list isn't exhaustive as my N70 isn't mentioned but it installed fine and is working well(FLash Edition). Basically it seems as long as you have a Java enabled handset as mentioned above, then it will install.

Just thought I would mention it as it's quite a nice little feature to add to the handset. And it's free (apart from your own data costs of course)

The Full details are here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/help/4457508.stm

Guest pd.ryder

To be honest I just use the BBC's PDA site which sizes nicely onto my 550's screen :)

I guess this is some sort of webcrawler? RSS feeds? Does it use/support graphics? Those of us not yet on 'unlimited' data need to be mindful of such trivialities :D

Good find though. I might well take a look...