my smt5600 DEAD! please help

Guest cococho_dps

Guest cococho_dps

hello, i update my smt5600 using sp3 rom (typhoon series) but in middle of upgrade ocurred an error with winxp and interrupted the upgrade.... now my smart don't turn on =(.

please please HELP ME.

Guest exodus187

Try to hard reset your phone, press both menu keys together and then keep them held. Press the power button for 1 - 1.5 seconds and release, but keep the menu keys (aka soft keys) held in until you see the HARD RESET SCREEN. Press 0 to reset your phone to maufacturers default settings, it will wipe all your contacts and new programs off your mobile (but keeps the programs that were present when you bought it new) so use this as a last resort.

Mate, I'd scan through all the posts on this site, there's tons of stuff about dead SPV's. I found it hard to search for things so you can use google to search Modaco.com, just type in the google site

site:www.modaco.com c500 dead

That will search the site for all pages showing the words "c500" and "dead", you can change those words for anything you want to search.

Edited by exodus187

Guest exodus187

My c500 died a couple of days ago, I was using Pocket Player to listen to MP3s and it just froze (the audio was looping in a stutter). So I tried to turn it off as normal but it wouldn't switch off so I pulled out the battery, that was it... dead! I can't get it to turn on nor to hard reset properly.

I've seen it display the initial screen "AUDIOVOX" and it just stays on that screen, I left it for 20 minutes. I've plugged it into the wall charger which make some difference in behavior, sometimes the LED turns red, other times it turns orange but still doesn't turn on. I managed to succesfully get to the HARD RESET screen once I pulled out the Memory card and SIM card, but once I press 0 it turned off. I managed to turn it on, it booted up and started to go through the clean up procedure but then stoped with "Invalid or Missing SIM card"!!!!!!! I left it on that screen and plugged it into the charger to ensure HARD RESET would work, after three hours the screen hadn't changed and it wouldn't turn off normally. I pulled out the battery again and it's still dead, not responding to the HARD RESET method, I've used the HARD RESET feature a few times before (when my phone was working fine) and was succesful everytime.

To be honest, I'd stopped using it as a phone since the low battery life and aweful reception with T-Mobile (in my area) was too much hassle. I use it as a media player instead, with TCMP to play every movie and Pocket Player to play MP3's it was perfect. Loud speaker and excellent screen.

Does anyone have any additional suggestions to hard resetting? I would flash the ROM with the Audiovox ROM again, but I can't find the ROM anywhere and I know it's the best one for the C500!!

Edited by exodus187

Guest awarner (MVP)
hello, i update my smt5600 using sp3 rom (typhoon series) but in middle of upgrade ocurred an error with winxp and interrupted the upgrade.... now my smart don't turn on =(.

please please HELP ME.

If the flash process was stopped at mid point and will not longer turn on there is nothing you can do to revive the phone apart from sending it to an HTC repair center so they can repair it.

Guest The Doctor
Any suggestions for me awarner?

There are a few things you can do, its depends whats actually happened to it tho...

Either the OS is completely buggered so you'll need to reflash an entire ROM (see my ROM compatibility guide in the smartphone information section HERE) The imate ROM is not a bad ROM to use, i quite like it :)

Another possiblity is that the bootloader fails to recongise the OS properly, in which case you can try the following:

disable USB connections in the connection settings in active sync

put your phone into bootloader (turn off, hold camera and plug into the USB)

open mtty.exe (attached)

type the command:

set 14 0

note you must TYPE this, otherwise you will get errors from mtty

Good luck :D

Phil

mtty.exe

Edited by The Doctor

• 1 month later...
Guest exodus187

Phil I have to say you've given me hope!! I couldn't find my miniSD adapter to SD and hence couldn't put any files onto my miniSD card. Thankfully I managed to borrow an adapter last week, I can now put files on my miniSD card.

I hate posts where people don't give updates/replies to wether suggested methods have worked or not. So to update, now that I have an SD adapter and can transfer my ROM image onto my miniSD card, I'm going to attempt the ROM flash using mtty.exe.

I think I'll have to find more instructions on how to use mtty, because I can't see where to type "set 14 0" but I'll keep you updated.

Edited by exodus187

Guest exodus187

NOOOO!! I think I have run out of battery power on my C500!!!!

I plug the wall charger into the phone and the orange LED doesn't even light up! It simply flashed RED once when I plug in the charger, hence it is not charging.

Any suggestions on alternate methods of charging it??

(I could send it to my mate in another country to charge it and send it back!!)

Edited by exodus187

Guest exodus187

For anyone having charging issues, you could try these steps (given for HTC Hermes) but non worked for my HTC Typhoon;

Battery Charging Problems

Background

Problems with charging are not Hermes or WM5 specific. Similar if not identical problems are reported across many models and platforms. The issues centre around the state of charge of the battery and the interpretive circuitry in the device and charger. Typically a device will show a Red light rather than an Amber charging light. (NB: Always shows RED LED when battery removed or not charging) see also http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=28

Getting the battery to start charging once the Red LED light is shown is not always straightforward and is as unpredictable and temperamental as priming a water pump (those that have done this will know what is meant). In other words, and to put it crudely, you need to kick start the system. Unfortunately those that have managed to do this have usually tried lots of things before it starts working again. This makes it hard to be absolutely certain about the solution other than perhaps the last 4 or 5 actions taken.

Those that have managed to recommence charging have not reported that the problem recurs on a frequent basis. (possible exception of in-car charging issue). This issue requires patience and time, (time maybe critical, it is possible the issue would resolve itself perhaps as charges dissipate within battery and circuitry involved). However the following points seem probable solutions and were thought to work by some who resolved the problem, including some receiving brand new devices with completely discharged batteries that refused to charge.)

Ref: observations of cieplowski, bigtal, mikechannon et al.

Failure to Charge (Red LED Lit when charger connected)

Causes of this problem are unclear, but in practical terms events leading up to this issue have included:

* Leaving Hermes on charge overnight (possibly but not necessarily with certain programmes or connections running) It seems a fault occurs in the charging system, which causes the battery charge to drain rather than increase. Resulting battery charge is very low. (Can be due to an Active Sync Scheduling issue causing charge to drain faster than it accumulates, resulting in a more or less complete draining of the battery. A fix for this is available using the “Fake Server method” to prevent Active Sync starting overnight.)

* Through heavy use, or not re-charging often enough the battery is permitted to reach a sub 10% charge (not precisely known but likely to be very low)

Possible Solutions:

1.) Remove battery

2.) Connect Hermes to charger or USB

3.) Insert the battery while Hermes is connected to charger

4.) Red light should turn Amber

5.) Soft Reset

If this does not work immediately it is suggested that the battery be removed from Hermes for around 1 hour and the above steps repeated.

In Car charging(May be relevant to USB/Mains charging also)

Problem: Hermes will only charge when switched off

* Pulling out charger lead (or interrupting power supply) while charging in car (with device on or off ) may result in Hermes only charging while turned off

Possible Solution:

a.) Connect charger with power on

b.) Switch on Hermes

c.) Soft reset whilst connected

Hermes should now charge whilst on or off.

Edited by exodus187

Guest exodus187

I'm going to try the following method and will update on it's results (this method is directed towards HTC Typhoon devices);

I had problems with this also. Basically if the SPV C500 goes COMPLETELY flat then it's almost game over ;o)

What I did to fix the problem was to buy a mains charger for £5 or so, cut the mini-USB plug off. This reveals two wires, a red (positive power) and black (negative power / ground).

Remove your battery from the phone (cell in US ;o)) and place the red wire onto the + terminal and the black wire onto the - terminal for 30-60 seconds. Now charge as normal.

Note that to get a better connection with the battery terminals it is easiest to strip the two wires about 2 inches or so and wrap them each round two mini screwdrivers (i.e. like oscilloscope leads) and use the ends of the screwdrivers to press onto the battery terminals.

The rumour for the reason for the problem, is that there's an internal controller / regulator inside the batteries to control overcharging or to stop someone charging a dud battery. If the batteries become completely flat then sometimes the controller malfunctions. However performing the set of steps above seemed to fix the issue for me.

Hope you have good luck. Talk about a useless design though... sometimes technology seems to go backwards, but I understand if it's for safety reasons, i.e. lithium batteries are said to be volatile if overcharged etc. Although over safety on the manufacturers part means more money! i.e. let's all buy new batteries :roll:

Edited by exodus187

Guest exodus187

Nope, I tried that exact method and I'm still getting nothing. I pluged in a 5V DC charger, connect the positive and neutral connections to the battery for 60seconds and then tried popping the battery into my Typhoon and charging... nothing! NOT EVEN A FLASH OF THE RED LED!! If I connect the Typhoon to the charger without the battery inside, it flashes RED so the internal firmware must still be in tact.

Doesn't anyone have any suggestions for me (excluding buying a new phone/battery)?

Guest aristweed

Hey Phil.. I tried your method below and after I type it in and enter, I get Cmd> What next?? Here's my situation:

My phone is stuck on the Windows Mobile Screen. I can't even hard reset.. I get to the press '0' screen, I press '0' and then I get the Audiovox screen, then onto the Windows Mobile Screen. I got the phone off eBay, no waranty and I don't even know who the provider is. I was told I need a ROM but everywhere I've checked the links are broken.

I can only hook up by USB in the Typhoon three-color screen (can't do Activesync).

Please HELP!!!!!!

Thank you!

There are a few things you can do, its depends whats actually happened to it tho...

Either the OS is completely buggered so you'll need to reflash an entire ROM (see my ROM compatibility guide in the smartphone information section HERE) The imate ROM is not a bad ROM to use, i quite like it ;)

Another possiblity is that the bootloader fails to recongise the OS properly, in which case you can try the following:

disable USB connections in the connection settings in active sync

put your phone into bootloader (turn off, hold camera and plug into the USB)

open mtty.exe (attached)

type the command:

set 14 0

note you must TYPE this, otherwise you will get errors from mtty

Good luck :D

Phil