The official Orange SPV M700 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Well, if my memory serves me correctly, in the AKU3 version of Windows Mobile 5, Microsoft dropped support for the Bluetooth 'Dial Up Networking' profile... I wonder if that's what TomTom uses perhaps?

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Relevant:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=282780

Particularly:

"In AKU 3+, the Bluetooth DUN (Dial-up Networking) profile is no longer supported at all, only the PAN (Personal Area Network). Now, it’s via BT PAN’s that cellular-only network connections are shared and you have no access to DUN functionality any more.

This means clients discovering AKU3-based Windows Mobile phones will NOT see as modems, unlike with operating system versions prior to AKU3."

I mean, i'm no expert on this as I don't use a TomTom device in this way, but it sounds like it could be the problem?

P

Guest toprobroy

Unless your Dead, you can't be stuffed!!

I'm sure that folks in other places online, have got this working fine.

I've not much time left at the mo, but if I find anything soon, I'll drop by again.

Ciao!

Guest Paul (MVP)

I've had a good look, and I haven't seen any ways to get it working... so yes, it does sound like you might have a problem ;)

P

Guest toprobroy

Here's a comment from Coolsmartphone.com forums.

GPS works out of the box, it is built-in to the M700 and runs on Com 9. I use Tom tom 6 and it works brilliantly, though it does take a few minutes to locate the satellites (or vice-versa). Tom Tom 6 seems to work well, never used Tom Tom 5.

Guest chillpete
Here's a comment from Coolsmartphone.com forums.

I think they are refering to Tomtom installed on the phone, not using the phone with a bluetooh connection on to a Tomtom One device.

Peter

Guest toprobroy

OK, I stand corrected, or I just misunderstood.

If you now have the phone, why don't you just purchase the Software, which is aroun £67.00. Sell your Tom Tom and hey presto.

Bear with me here though, I may misunderstand something again, so I'm willing to learn.

Ciao! :-)

Guest Paul (MVP)

Remember people, we are not talking about installing TomTom on the M700, we're talking about using the M700 to enable a standalone TomTom unit to dial up for traffic updates... quite a different kettle of fish ;)

P

Guest toprobroy

Yes Paul. Understand that now, but can we be clear that The Tom Tom on the M700 is a cost effective option, and that it will work as well.

Cheers

Guest warrenpfo

Hey Paul im new to the website and forum but from what i have read it is a very well run site with loads of information so ty. Just a quick question, is it possiable to rremove the orange desktop/homepage theme and if so where would one find themes for the phone as i have googled for them but come up with nothing.

Many thanks

Guest Disco Stu

Welcome to the forum ;)

If you don't mind me answering on Paul's behalf, you could try our Downloads section - see link above.

You are looking for files with .tsk extension and you just need to copy them into the phone's My Documents folder.

Other good sites include www.pdagold.com

Guest warrenpfo

Hi Paul yes sorry its me again. What is the difference btw installing the cab file and installing the whole program. im not to sure what a cab file is. It is for skype. I also done know if the M700 is a smartphone or is it a pocket PC?

many thanks

Guest Disco Stu

I'm still here so... ;)

The M700 is technically a Pocket PC because it has a touchscreen and a stylus is used for input. A Smartphone has a hardware keypad for input. The name is being used for both though so it is easy to get confused.

Basically, a cab file is a collection of files along with the instructions for their installation. You can install software without a PC if you can transfer the cab to the phone. The MSI .exe files you would use to install software from your PC would create the cab file, transfer it to the phone and then run it from there. The end result on the phone should be the same.

Guest madasahatter

Hi Paul

I have an SPV M600 at the moment, and am well tempted by the M700 since I think it has a couple of things that the M600 doesn't. namely :

• Better battery life
  • Built in GPS
  • Newer version of Windows - the M600 crashes sometimes, particularly when I use it as an Alarm clock
  • Faster - the M600's slow chip makes Skype and using the phone while sync'ing a little tedious.

That aside a love the M600. Do you think the M700 will do the things above for me?

Also, the ringtones are quiet on the M600 and the vibration alert is more tremor than earthquake. Is the M700 any louder? I miss calls when the phone is in my pocket whatever I tried to do.

I'd welcome your thoughts.

Cheers

Guest jonbass
Hi Paul

I have an SPV M600 at the moment, and am well tempted by the M700 since I think it has a couple of things that the M600 doesn't. namely :

• Better battery life
  • Built in GPS
  • Newer version of Windows - the M600 crashes sometimes, particularly when I use it as an Alarm clock
  • Faster - the M600's slow chip makes Skype and using the phone while sync'ing a little tedious.

That aside a love the M600. Do you think the M700 will do the things above for me?

Also, the ringtones are quiet on the M600 and the vibration alert is more tremor than earthquake. Is the M700 any louder? I miss calls when the phone is in my pocket whatever I tried to do.

I'd welcome your thoughts.

Cheers

Hi, I got my M700 yesterday and it is much louder than my M600.

Cheers

Jon

Guest runnerbean

Hi everyone,

Has anyone managed to install a replacement keyboard input onto the M700?

I've tried al the ones I used to run on my M500 but although they install ok, when you select them for input they don't show up and you're put back on the standard "keyboard" option. Although I'm sure something has happened as the device will nearly always require a reboot after I try it as the screen and buttons stop responding.

I've contacted SPB as their Full screen keyboard is one of the applications I've tried without success, but I've not had an email back from them yet.

Hopefully someone here will have fixed it ;)

Guest madasahatter
Hi everyone,

Has anyone managed to install a replacement keyboard input onto the M700?

I've tried al the ones I used to run on my M500 but although they install ok, when you select them for input they don't show up and you're put back on the standard "keyboard" option. Although I'm sure something has happened as the device will nearly always require a reboot after I try it as the screen and buttons stop responding.

I've contacted SPB as their Full screen keyboard is one of the applications I've tried without success, but I've not had an email back from them yet.

Hopefully someone here will have fixed it ;)

I have had some problems with the SPB Full Screen Keyboard as well with my M600. I like the product, so I put up with it, but the only way I can make it work is the following.

1). Reset Device

2). First thing in, launch a new text message/e-mail

3). Change input type at the bottom of the screen (for me the keyboard loads)

4). Exit text message/e-mail.

From this time onwards, the keyboard works fine. It is just if you don't select it as one of the first things you do, it fails to load it up.

Steve

Guest madasahatter
I have had some problems with the SPB Full Screen Keyboard as well with my M600. I like the product, so I put up with it, but the only way I can make it work is the following.

1). Reset Device

2). First thing in, launch a new text message/e-mail

3). Change input type at the bottom of the screen (for me the keyboard loads)

4). Exit text message/e-mail.

From this time onwards, the keyboard works fine. It is just if you don't select it as one of the first things you do, it fails to load it up.

Steve

To put a little more detail on this now I have an M700....

You are quite right. nothing I have done as yet succeeds in getting the Full Screen Keyboard to become the default input method, so the only way I can continue using this is by allocating it to a button. I am using the voice tag button, since I don't use the feature - I intend to use it from my Bluetooth headset when that arrives.

Failing that, the rest of the phone seems to be working well...

Guest kame1986

Hey,

Im sure this has been askled already, i just couldnt find the thread.

I have recently ported my number across to Orange from 02 and when i go to Sim Manager it still shows my Orange temp number.

I know this is a stupid thing, but is there anywayz i can change it ???

EDIT- Never mind, found it. I really should try things b4 i ask.

Edited by kame1986

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.