Life after WM smartphones

Guest moonshot

Guest moonshot

Having been loyal to Orange and Windows Mobile Smartphones for over three years and now feel let down from the lack of light Smartphones, I have been looking at Symbiam.

While Nokia, SE, Blackberry, Samsung and others have been making there phones lighter Wm smartphones have been putting on weight.

I have been using the SE M600i for a month now and it is really good, much more features than a WM Smartphone.

So there is life after WM.

Guest chucky.egg

Don't know the M600 - is that the UIQ device with the hardware keyboard (not quite QWERTY, but similar)?

I looked at the Nokia N95, but didn't like th "bulk" of the thing. Great features though.

I plumped for the Samsung SGH-I600 in the end. WM5, QVGA landscape, 3G HSDPA. Cr@p camera and non-standard connectors though.

Guest moonshot
Don't know the M600 - is that the UIQ device with the hardware keyboard (not quite QWERTY, but similar)?

Yes, it has qwerty keys but there are two letters per button, so only half the amount of keys, it works well. No camera, but the new M600i will have. Weight is only 112grams and its 3g and has a landscape option and a lot more software as standard.

Guest rikwebb

Well, I was in the same boat and ventured for the Nokia N95

Fantastic features, takes a little getting used to.

Email client is crap.

First phone just kept re-booting

Second phone re-boots less BUT

BATTERY LIFE IS $HIT (my appologies, thats the only word for it)

After being on charge all night (min 7 hours), it lasted a total of 2.5 hours (yes thats two and a half) today - no email, no pictures, no media, no GPS, just 15 mins of calls !!!!

My O2 Graphite will last 3 days, and displays my emails in a form you can read!

My third (and possible final) N95 will be delivered in the morning - if this one is no good, I might have to swap for the AMEO (and buy a packpack to put it in).

My advice is that if you are used to WM Smartphones, Dont buy a symbian phone!

Rik

Guest chucky.egg

The Stuff.tv podcast had a thing about the N95 and the reviewer said that his was down to 2 bars after 2 days of use.

I guess it could be affected by coverage (seeking networks can drain the battery as I understand it, so if you're on the edge of a cell then that could do it)

Guest rikwebb

Well,

I am pleased to say (touching wood, crossing fingers), that this one (my third) seems to be a lot better.

It has been recieving email (every hour), 20 mins of calls, 4 - 5 texts, 15mins GPS, and connect to the car kit via BT for 2.5 hours. Since this morn at 11 am to now its not dropped one bar yet !!!!!

And even better - its not re-booting itself all the time.

So it seems Nokia quality control may have been the issue.

I still prefer the WM smartphones though.

Rik

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chucky.egg

Not sure that is still true (certainly used to be though)

Some of the apps on Symbian are very neat ideas - baby monitor, SIM-change alerting etc - and a few have made it onto WM but there are still some things that Symbian can do that WM (like on-device call recording)

I always quite liked the S60 interface - very easy to use - but I've been with WM so long now that I doubt I would go back because S60 devices tend to be bulky, and the cost of sw licences as much as anything else.

Guest conan_troutman

Vito audio notes records all inbound and out bound calls

and i belive WM6 has the option built direct into the standard software

I have not seen anything that would make me want to go to a symbian phone yes they do have a lot of feature but they are all the same as WM features if you know what to install, symbians phone to me are just ugly I love my Qtek 8310 and if it wasn't for redundancy last year and the fact that my new job half the wage of my old one I would be kicking it with the new HTC VOX

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ken_i607
none of those recorders work on the Blackjack :rolleyes:

Not true. I got Vito Audionotes and it works perfectly well. In fact, I've NEVER had any problems with it.

Guest nickcornaglia

didnt know that....never gave it a try as I thought the Samsung had something funky going on that didnt allow "standard" recording. Will give it a try.