Samsung SGH-i600 -Firmware Updates here!!!

Guest humaxnet

Guest adiel
Hmmm... my final shot: try setting the regional settings (start->settings->more->more->1)on your I600 to "Dutch (Netherlands)" and your language to US English. That's how mine was configured. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas... Sorry.

Jawohl!

Tried that as well + changed my PCs regional settings to Dutch but still no luck.

Anyway, thanks fort trying to help!!

Guest Mizzle
no luck for me :-( tried on a new PC with the version of activesync and drivers and packaged from the samsung site but I still have the same error :-( perhaps my i600 has a curse - I guess I can wait for another few weeks for my update though!

Did you try switching your regional settings to Dutch? If so, then I guess patience is the key...

Edited by Mizzle

Guest adiel
Did you try switching your regional settings to Dutch? If so, then I guess patience is the key...

Yes I did.

It just seems a bit strange since you had the same setting as i do now before you updated yet it doesn't work for me.

Guest Extra Human

Successful upgrade to WM6 (Dutch ver.), work fine!

No Office 6 install, but according to Samsung web site it should be included. you guys get same problem or any idea?

Ok, no luck on the phone side, lets see how this updater do checking....

Opening the updater exe i600UXXupdater.exe (90.5 MB (95,001,535 bytes)) by tools like exeScope, we see the rsrc, forms, alert, header and diff resources in the exe...

by extracting a binary in the i600UXXupdater.exe under BINARY>158 (222 KB (228,344 bytes)), which seems to be an app on i600 side to let it goes into bootloader mode as the following screen

http://www.samsungmobile.com/promotion/i60...howto_img14.gif

the binary is actually a exe for SP, transfer it into your i600, I tried running it with my default region, no luck, so switching to Dutch(Netherland), and it did run asking user to hold 2 buttons as the above screen, 2 seconds later, phone reboots..

Afterwards I get to the bootloader screen on the i600, I am stuck at this point here where my XP side claims found new hardware, but fails to go ActiveSync (I suggest it is my XP problem, it does have problem on new hardware from time to time...)

*USB Downloader - Open v1.1

USB Initial: OK.

PC Connection : FAIL.

[Phone] Active OFF

[PDA] USB Cable Power OFF

and the updater on XP side complains active sync error (not connected)....

Anyone who did the update, can you confirm you get a black screen with text on screen says "USB Downloader - open 1.1"?

Can anyone please post more details procedure on steps during the update? (loading ROM)

Can anyone please post more details during the upgrade?

is almost 2am here, sleepy.............anyone wants to continue on the hack?

Little bit more thinking, as other suggest, ActiveSync from Samsung must be used for the upgrade, may it be related to the current problem XP side cannot connect to the device? as I am running M$ officials ones? (The FAQ of upgrade points to M$ officials ActiveSync 4.5 site anyway...)

Edited by utp_

Successful upgrade to WM6 (Dutch ver.), work fine!

No Office 6 install, but according to Samsung web site it should be included. you guys get same problem or any idea?

Yeah me too no office apps. Funny thing also is some of the folder icons are the same from wm5 OS eg. Utilities/Internet/Accessories and some others have been upgraded to a more vista look eg. settings/file explorer/games folders. Not the end of the world but consistency would be nice :)

Guest adiel
Ok, no luck on the phone side, lets see how this updater do checking....

Opening the updater exe i600UXXupdater.exe (90.5 MB (95,001,535 bytes)) by tools like exeScope, we see the rsrc, forms, alert, header and diff resources in the exe...

by extracting a binary in the i600UXXupdater.exe under BINARY>158 (222 KB (228,344 bytes)), which seems to be an app on i600 side to let it goes into bootloader mode as the following screen

http://www.samsungmobile.com/promotion/i60...howto_img14.gif

the binary is actually a exe for SP, transfer it into your i600, I tried running it with my default region, no luck, so switching to Dutch(Netherland), and it did run asking user to hold 2 buttons as the above screen, 2 seconds later, phone reboots..

Afterwards I get to the bootloader screen on the i600, I am stuck at this point here where my XP side claims found new hardware, but fails to go ActiveSync (I suggest it is my XP problem, it does have problem on new hardware from time to time...)

*USB Downloader - Open v1.1

USB Initial: OK.

PC Connection : FAIL.

[Phone] Active OFF

[PDA] USB Cable Power OFF

and the updater on XP side complains active sync error (not connected)....

Anyone who did the update, can you confirm you get a black screen with text on screen says "USB Downloader - open 1.1"?

Can anyone please post more details procedure on steps during the update? (loading ROM)

Can anyone please post more details during the upgrade?

is almost 2am here, sleepy.............anyone wants to continue on the hack?

Little bit more thinking, as other suggest, ActiveSync from Samsung must be used for the upgrade, may it be related to the current problem XP side cannot connect to the device? as I am running M$ officials ones? (The FAQ of upgrade points to M$ officials ActiveSync 4.5 site anyway...)

you need to uncheck the USB option from activesync's connection settings.

Guest BigBlue007

This trick ain't gonna work, at least not like this.

This USB loader on the device was being used for some of the WM5 upgrades I saw in the past. But the flasher on the PC didn't need an AS connection. It couldn't need one, because when the device is in this USB bootloader mode, the AS portion that needs to run on the device in order to connect to AS on the PC isn't running. Therefore, no AS connection can be established.

By the way, you don't need that tool to get into bootloader. Just press these 2 keys and hold 'em down while switching on the device. Will do the same trick.

If someone would be smart enough to extract the firmware file from that update, it might be possible to use it together with the flasher tool from the older (inofficial?) WM5 updates.

Guest kuvulmaz

Could someone tell us the effect of the upgrade on the performance (speed etc.) if there are any?

Also it would be great if you could give us a list of languages available in the WM6 update.

Thanks

Guest Mizzle
This trick ain't gonna work, at least not like this.

This USB loader on the device was being used for some of the WM5 upgrades I saw in the past. But the flasher on the PC didn't need an AS connection. It couldn't need one, because when the device is in this USB bootloader mode, the AS portion that needs to run on the device in order to connect to AS on the PC isn't running. Therefore, no AS connection can be established.

Well, when upgrading to WM6 it DOES use the bootloader. In fact, the phone shows the same screen as it did wwhit previous updates to WM5 roms...

So, I can't figure out why the ActiveSync is that important...

Also it would be great if you could give us a list of languages available in the WM6 update.

Well, it's very long so I'm not going to repeat it here... but I guess it is the same as in the WM5 ROM. Any particular language you're looking for? That would be easy to check.

Edited by Mizzle

Guest kuvulmaz
Well, it's very long so I'm not going to repeat it here... but I guess it is the same as in the WM5 ROM. Any particular language you're looking for? That would be easy to check.

Turkish by any chance?

How about performance? any changes positive or negative?

Thanks

Guest Mizzle
Turkish by any chance?

How about performance? any changes positive or negative?

Thanks

No Turkish included.

Performance: overall it's faster. Much better bluetooth functionality. New icons. Looks good!

Guest kuvulmaz
No Turkish included.

Performance: overall it's faster. Much better bluetooth functionality. New icons. Looks good!

Thank you.. guess I will have to wait for Turkish language then..

Guest bryanz
Thank you.. guess I will have to wait for Turkish language then..

Mizzle, you have a Dutch phone right? If not, how did you manage to update it?

Guest bryanz
I bought mine from DUBAI, will I be able to update it now?

Following page has only link to Russian by the way.. Where is the Dutch version?

http://www.samsungmobile.com/promotion/i600/index.jsp

It has been removed for unknown reasons. But what I cannot understand is that when you dowuload the updater, it seems to be a generic one for all languages, not a specific one for Dutch or Russian

We need someone to extract the Rom as a bin file from the exe, so maybe we could flash it with the old tool

Guest kuvulmaz
But what I cannot understand is that when you dowuload the updater, it seems to be a generic one for all languages, not a specific one for Dutch or Russian

Is the installer/updater interface in English?

Guest kuvulmaz
Yes, you can select the language of the installer

Well then as you have said, all flag selections etc at the update site seems pretty meaningless :) since they all direct to the same file...

Guest BigBlue007
Well, when upgrading to WM6 it DOES use the bootloader. In fact, the phone shows the same screen as it did wwhit previous updates to WM5 roms...

So, I can't figure out why the ActiveSync is that important...

Because you're missing the point... :)

You're probably right that the WM6 upgrader uses the bootloader as well. Actually it has to, because this is the only way to flash the device.

The difference between the various WM5 upgraders and the WM6 upgrader is that the WM5 upgraders didn't need a AS connection to begin. Instead, the device had to be in bootloader mode from the beginning. The WM6 upgrader however, since this is an official and "enduser-friendly" tool, wants to "see" the device via AS first. Then it puts the device into bootloader mode automatically; something you had to do manually with the inofficial WM5 upgraders. And while being connected via AS, it obviously also checks the model and SW information of the device - something the WM5 upgraders did not really care about.

Guest bryanz

You're probably right that the WM6 upgrader uses the bootloader as well. Actually it has to, because this is the only way to flash the device.

The difference between the various WM5 upgraders and the WM6 upgrader is that the WM5 upgraders didn't need a AS connection to begin. Instead, the device had to be in bootloader mode from the beginning. The WM6 upgrader however, since this is an official and "enduser-friendly" tool, wants to "see" the device via AS first. Then it puts the device into bootloader mode automatically; something you had to do manually with the inofficial WM5 upgraders. And while being connected via AS, it obviously also checks the model and SW information of the device - something the WM5 upgraders did not really care about.

OK, but if the updater is generic, I mean, it's the same for all languages, as the link to download it was the same fro Russia and Netherlands, why if I select Spanish language it tells me incorrect SW version???

So the only way would be extracting the ROM from the .exe and using the old updaters right?

Guest BigBlue007
OK, but if the updater is generic, I mean, it's the same for all languages, as the link to download it was the same fro Russia and Netherlands, why if I select Spanish language it tells me incorrect SW version???

Besides of the fact that you are obviously don't really know the meaing of the language selector of the upgrade tool, you are right. It is indeed strange that the file looks like being generic for almost all variants, but still contains a check for specific models. I suppose that later on, there might be different filenames from the samsung website, depending on what language you choose. Or the file name stays the same, but they will extend the built-in SW check to cover more versions.

As for the language selector of the upgrader: You only select the language of that upgrader, i.e. in which language the status messages and dialogs are being displayed on your PC during the upgrade. The selection has nothing to do with what is being flashed to your device, or with the model check. So it doesn't really matter which language you select there, you would always get the "Wrong software version" error.

So the only way would be extracting the ROM from the .exe and using the old updaters right?

Yeah, that's what I think.

Guest bryanz
Besides of the fact that you are obviously don't really know the meaing of the language selector of the upgrade tool, you are right. It is indeed strange that the file looks like being generic for almost all variants, but still contains a check for specific models. I suppose that later on, there might be different filenames from the samsung website, depending on what language you choose. Or the file name stays the same, but they will extend the built-in SW check to cover more versions.

As for the language selector of the upgrader: You only select the language of that upgrader, i.e. in which language the status messages and dialogs are being displayed on your PC during the upgrade. The selection has nothing to do with what is being flashed to your device, or with the model check. So it doesn't really matter which language you select there, you would always get the "Wrong software version" error.

Yeah, that's what I think.

What I mean is that as for the Russian and Dutch, the download link was the same for both downloads, ergo it is the same updater for both and probably for the rest of them.

Guest Mizzle

Wow, how friendly. No offense meant. I did by the way update both using the unofficial updater for previous WM5 releases and this WM6.

Ah, I see, I'm probably right. Well that's a start... thanks!

The difference between the various WM5 upgraders and the WM6 upgrader is that the WM5 upgraders didn't need a AS connection to begin. Instead, the device had to be in bootloader mode from the beginning. The WM6 upgrader however, since this is an official and "enduser-friendly" tool, wants to "see" the device via AS first. Then it puts the device into bootloader mode automatically; something you had to do manually with the inofficial WM5 upgraders.

No it doesn't. You have to put the device into bootloader manually. The difference is that you are guided by on screen instructions how and when to do so.

Mizzle, you have a Dutch phone right?

Yep. And unbranded, which seems to be important.

Besides of the fact that you are obviously don't really know the meaing....

Oof, it's not a personal thing... :P

Or the file name stays the same, but they will extend the built-in SW check to cover more versions.

That seems highly unlikely. Try to manage that from Samsung's point of view.

If you have the direct link to the Dutch updater (and - Like bryanz states - the Russian updater since it links to the same file as the Dutch one), you'll find out that it is still online at Samsung.

IMHO, the other "flags" will be activated when the countries involved have there website in local language finished. Or there might be some other things that should be organised before launching the site (and thus recieving requests for support...)

Edited by Mizzle

Guest bryanz
Wow, how friendly. No offense meant. I did by the way update both using the unofficial updater for previous WM5 releases and this WM6.

Ah, I see, I'm probably right. Well that's a start... thanks!

No it doesn't. You have to put the device into bootloader manually. The difference is that you are guided by on screen instructions how and when to do so.

Yep. And unbranded, which seems to be important.

Oof, it's not a personal thing... :)

That seems highly unlikely. Try to manage that from Samsung's point of view.

If you have the direct link to the Dutch updater (and - Like bryanz states - the Russian updater since it links to the same file as the Dutch one), you'll find out that it is still online at Samsung.

IMHO, the other "flags" will be activated when the countries involved have there website in local language finished. Or there might be some other things that should be organised before launching the site (and thus recieving requests for support...)

I agree with you Mizzle.

So, there is no way I can update my vodafone branded i600 (but upgrades to GD1) is it???

I need a solution! :P Don't want to wait. Maybe there isn'r spanish update as there is no flag (don't know why) and vodafone won't release an update