Web N Walk - using phone as modem

Guest timpharrison

Guest timpharrison

Hey guys & gals,

I recently bought an MDA Compact III on T-Mobile in the UK. I moved from Orange, due to T-Mobile's unlimited internet access for £7.50 a month.

I noticed in the Programs menu of the phone, an option called "Internet Sharing". I turned this, attached my handset to my laptop (via USB) and lo and behold I have pretty quick internet access on the laptop.

So what's the problem? Well nothing, except I'm not sure I'm supposed to being doing this. The fair-usage policy below suggests that my package (Flext + web n walk) does not allow your mobile to be used in this way.

I am going to get a nasty bill? How can T-mobile tell the difference between data used from the handset and used as a modem.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/personal/pages.d...eeplink=fairuse

Cheers,

T

Guest magic_peanuts
So what's the problem? Well nothing, except I'm not sure I'm supposed to being doing this. The fair-usage policy below suggests that my package (Flext + web n walk) does not allow your mobile to be used in this way.

I am going to get a nasty bill? How can T-mobile tell the difference between data used from the handset and used as a modem.

In short there are no procedures in place to detect non standard use on a regular basis and you should not be charged for data used like this. However, they can detect it and if they do, you could find your bandwidth restricted or terminated.

If you're going to use it a lot, why not pay the extra £2.50 a month which allows you to use it as a USB modem.

Edited by magic_peanuts

Guest PayableOnDeath
If you're going to use it a lot, why not pay the extra £2.50 a month which allows you to use it as a USB modem.

also allows the use of MSN,etc, Streaming Media and loads more, basicly everything apart from VOIP, the 7.50 package only allows web browsing and emails

or at least thats what they tell you.

Guest Confucious

You are breaking you T&C - they might not find out but if they do they could screw you like you are screwing them - like magic_peanut says, if that's what you want to do , why not pay for a tariff that allows you to do it.

The ocasional use will probably go un-noticed but are you willing to risk the fact that they could ban you completely if they do find out? It could end up costing you a lot...

Guest spacerace
but if they do they could screw you like you are screwing them

a tad harsh! sounds like an innocent question about how to proceed to me. he now knows his options.

Guest Confucious
a tad harsh! sounds like an innocent question about how to proceed to me. he now knows his options.

Maybe it was a tad harsh - appologies timpharrison

Guest flyswat

I am on Tmobile Walk and Web Plus and have been using my phone as a modem via my PC. I have just received my bill so I thought I would check how much data I have used over the month, but I have been unable to find this info. I have logged in to the website to see if I could find this information, but have failed miserably. Surely I should be able to check the amount of data I have used? Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks

Guest magic_peanuts
I am on Tmobile Walk and Web Plus and have been using my phone as a modem via my PC. I have just received my bill so I thought I would check how much data I have used over the month, but I have been unable to find this info. I have logged in to the website to see if I could find this information, but have failed miserably. Surely I should be able to check the amount of data I have used? Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks

I haven't got my my bill on me but try the back of the pages for the data breakdown, I seem to recall it's printed on the back.

Guest PayableOnDeath

Hi

just looked at my last bill and online, seems it does show it anywhere, but if you click in seen unbilled usage then that will take you to another page and you can view current data usage and download it as an excel sheet, if you do that just before your next bill it should tell you how much you used in the month

other than cant see a way of finding out last months data useage unless you contact them and ask them

Regards

David

Guest flyswat

Thanks all, for your help. I will have to look on the back of my bill to see if there is anything of note on it. Failing that, I will log into my account a couple days before my next bill and have a look. It seems a bit daft to me, they set a fair usage policy but do not list on your bill how much data you've used. :rolleyes:

Guest PayableOnDeath

yeh it does, it used to show it on mine, but thats when i was on the old WnW with 40mb usage, thats before i changed the new WnW due to them saying i had used about 80mb in a month and the next month saying i had used 83mb in 1 day :rolleyes:

which there is no way i had may normal usage was about 20-30mb a month and had never gone over the 40mb for over a year, but thats another story lol

• 2 months later...
Guest austinmitchell
Hey guys & gals,

I recently bought an MDA Compact III on T-Mobile in the UK. I moved from Orange, due to T-Mobile's unlimited internet access for £7.50 a month.

I noticed in the Programs menu of the phone, an option called "Internet Sharing". I turned this, attached my handset to my laptop (via USB) and lo and behold I have pretty quick internet access on the laptop.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/personal/pages.d...eeplink=fairuse

Cheers,

T

I've just got off the phone with T-Mobile. I was told by the rep (who contacted his manager; was gone for about 5 minutes) that if you can use your mobile as a modem on the web 'n' walk tariff there will be no extra charges. This does seem to go against the fair use policy: http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/uk/fair...T.mc_id=fairuse

However, I've got the name and team number of the rep I spoke to should there be any charges applied. So, it seems that there is some confusion here. I'll be using my Nokia N770 heavily next week with my k800i (I'm away on business) and I'll report back when I get my bill.

Cheers,

Austin.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Damiantmc

Hey, just wondering on this topic, I got my flext35 with web and walk through "the link", is it still possible to upgrade it to plus?

Cheers