directional pad does not "enter"

Guest GoMatt

Guest GoMatt

Hello everyone, it has been a long time since I have posted on this board. I use the Cingular 2125 (HTC Tornado) and love it. I couldn't live without it. The other night, after many many sake bombs, found my phone, cracked, missing the cover plate, and with no rom installed. After updating it with the newest off of HTCs site, It works, except for the "enter" function (when pushing down) of the directional pad.

Is there any way to fix this, or map the key to the "back arrow" button? I can't read any text messages, I can see them, but can't click them. everything seems fine....

Thank you, Matt

Guest dropofdreams

One of the major issues with this phone is how the "directional stick" gets all retarded after a while. The issue you are having has nothing to do with the ROM I am sure but instead is due to the hardware. As for remapping, I don't know how to help you with that. The point however is primarily to infrom you that I seriously doubt that it is the ROM.

Guest Snooginsguy
One of the major issues with this phone is how the "directional stick" gets all retarded after a while. The issue you are having has nothing to do with the ROM I am sure but instead is due to the hardware. As for remapping, I don't know how to help you with that. The point however is primarily to infrom you that I seriously doubt that it is the ROM.

You can try to lubricate the stick with some graphite lube to get it to work again. I had the same problem, where certain directions stopped working, and after lubing it a little it fixed it right up. Use a liquid lube, such as Lock-Ease, not a gel type, and use a toothpick to apply a drop right into the top of the joystick assembly (you'll have to take the phone apart to get at it.) That should fix any problem, unless the joystick is totally broken. I don't think it is the ROM either.

Edited by Snooginsguy

• 7 months later...
Guest swooshno5
Hello everyone, it has been a long time since I have posted on this board. I use the Cingular 2125 (HTC Tornado) and love it. I couldn't live without it. The other night, after many many sake bombs, found my phone, cracked, missing the cover plate, and with no rom installed. After updating it with the newest off of HTCs site, It works, except for the "enter" function (when pushing down) of the directional pad.

Is there any way to fix this, or map the key to the "back arrow" button? I can't read any text messages, I can see them, but can't click them. everything seems fine....

Thank you, Matt

You could also install Smart Toolkit. It allows you to use the key pad as directional and 5 as the "Enter" button.

• 2 months later...
Guest Phynesse

Thank you, Matt

Matt,

my SP5's joystick broke the other day. I ordered a replacement keyboard on ebay from seller franderik (search for 'sp5 keyboard')

despite his email saying 15-20 business days, it took only a week to get to California. if i would have to guess, i would think the part is not HTC original, or they are factory drop-outs. mine has a back-key that is a tad lazy. otherwise I am super pleased.

disassembly instructions for the phone can be found here. here are some pictures

all in all, piece of cake. after that, flash to WM6.1 ROM and its like having a new phone :D

good luck