BoyGenius unboxes the HTC Kaiser

Guest PaulOBrien

Do you know if that's a production device or if it's still pre-prod?

Also - to the poster worried about Photon....we won't be seeing that for a *long* time...

Good question not to sure, All I know that these are hard to get at the moment very sort after.

Specs On this units is as follows;

Currently Locked To Tmobile - Thats what I have been using in It and it works a treat both version do. I am

so tired just came of night shift :-)

This Is the white box version made in Taiwan.

Rom Version 0.92.00.00

Rom Date 04/20/07

Radio Version 0.26.01.208

Protocol Version 22.29.64.00.b_N

Hardware

CPU Qualcomm® 7200

400mhz

Ram Size 128MB

Flash Size 256MB

Date Bus 32 bits

Storage Size 145.12 MB

Display 240 x 320

Colours 65536

Edited by Guest

Guest nav007_2000
Good question not to sure, All I know that these are hard to get at the moment very sort after.

Specs On this units is as follows;

Currently Locked To Tmobile - Thats what I have been using in It and it works a treat both version do. I am

so tired just came of night shift :-)

This Is the white box version made in Taiwan.

Rom Version 0.92.00.00

Rom Date 04/20/07

Radio Version 0.26.01.208

Protocol Version 22.29.64.00.b_N

Hardware

CPU Qualcomm® 7200

400mhz

Ram Size 128MB

Flash Size 256MB

Date Bus 32 bits

Storage Size 145.12 MB

Display 240 x 320

Colours 65536

One thing I have noticed about T-mobile is that they are disabling wi-fi from all their new pocket pc phones. MDA MAIL, MDA COMPACT III. It seems that they want everyone to have web n walk instead. Thats like an extra £7.50 a month.

Does you kaiser have wifi enabled or disabled?

Guest nav007_2000
MDA Vario II - Hermes - is WiFi enabled.

P

Yes vario ii is wifi enabled but that has been out for a while. You will have a full review of the HTC Kaiser within the week. I just need to pop to glamourous slough to pick it up from my friend. I'm still a bit upset that this Kaiser only has WM5 on it as I really wanted to see how WM6 runs on it and if HTC really did do something to improve battery life.

Guest mjamalm
what difference is there in photon? i know wm6 sped up a few things such as internet.

As i heard it will be a major realese...new UI and higher speed maybe...

to the poster worried about Photon....we won't be seeing that for a *long* time...

Thanks ... hope it will not be that late>>>>

Guest Gerald.D
is the fact it's locked to t-mobile a clue to which network is going to pick this beauti up frist?

I hope so.

I'm due an upgrade (was offered an Ameo for £200) and may well hang on for a couple of months for a Kaiser.

Guest Ovie
the only difference i can think of is if u were playing a game or something that created a huge cache, but i think 128 is enough for that.

just running more programs is about it i think.

as far as the graphics chip it uses, you can read about it here. it's actuallya multimedia chip.

http://www.cdmatech.com/products/msm7200_c...et_solution.jsp

you may have known of the highly talked about Intel 2700 graphics chip the dell pocket pc's use. it's supposed to make a huge difference.

if u compare the two, the dell's intel graphics chip supports up to 84 million pixels per second fill rate, and 831 000 triangles per second. the kaiser's qualcomm 7200 chip supports 133 million 3D pixels per second fill rate (notice the intel one wasnt even 3D pixels), and up to 4 million triangles per second. (the dell's wasn't even in the millions lol)

Thanks for that very interesting, the problem I have is that I use SPB Shell, Wisbar Advance and Pocketbreeze - so my home screen is always qutie laggy. When I don't run these apps I've noticed a significant amount of difference in speed. I've always had 64mb RAM though, so hopefully 128mb should be a noticeable change.

here are some screen dumps :-) And a quick picture takn with the device, I will take some more and post.

Edited by Guest

Guest mikeeey
here are some screen dumps :-) And a quick picture takn with the device, I will take some more and post.

thanks xxnoelziexx! what quality setting is that? can it get even better? if not im sure coolcamera could make it better.

now i just wanted to see a photo of how it looks at night, and see if htc has improved their cameras for night time use and dark photos.

btw you said it only had wm5 on it. i see wm6 in those pictures. had you just put a new wm6 rom on? if so what was it for? the hermes? im assuming they dont even have a kaiser rom yet

Edited by mikeeey

thanks xxnoelziexx! what quality setting is that? can it get even better? if not im sure coolcamera could make it better.

now i just wanted to see a photo of how it looks at night, and see if htc has improved their cameras for night time use and dark photos.

btw you said it only had wm5 on it. i see wm6 in those pictures. had you just put a new wm6 rom on? if so what was it for? the hermes? im assuming they dont even have a kaiser rom yet

My mistake if i said it had wm5 on it I don't think I did though. This has always had wm6 on it. I will take a picture tonight when it gets late and post it up. This rom is not complete by a long shot look at the version on the device its a beta/test so I am sure everything will be better in the rom that get shipped on the device.

Guest nav007_2000

Wow, the pics are good. I cant wait to get mine. I wish mine had WM6 on it. Whats the possibility of get the ROM from you.

Guest Michael Pang

Besides night shoot, can you also take some indoor photos and does it support marco mode? i would also like to see the quality of marco mode. many thanks!

Guest mikeeey
Besides night shoot, can you also take some indoor photos and does it support marco mode? i would also like to see the quality of marco mode. many thanks!

it has autofocus. so im not sure how it would look upclose, but i am also interested in how up close things look too.

just a night photo and a upclose photo and i think we got everything we need to know about it's camera. i already know video will look great cuz the qualcomm 7200 chip lets it record up to 30fps VGA =)

Edited by mikeeey

Guest xerxes
My mistake if i said it had wm5 on it I don't think I did though. This has always had wm6 on it. I will take a picture tonight when it gets late and post it up. This rom is not complete by a long shot look at the version on the device its a beta/test so I am sure everything will be better in the rom that get shipped on the device.

Hi xxnoelzixx,

Can you tell us if the Kaiser can shoot VGA res video, and if so how many frames per second you get? Video recording is the main thing I really like about my N95.

Thanks,

Xerxes

Guest Kausor

Hello Paul,

Does the Kaiser have a light or is this excluded as per the flash?

Thanks

KAA

No flash on Kaiser camera is surprising, doesn't bother me tho.

P

Guest davidjtaylor

Was looking at tmobiles downloads section (games) earlier today and spotted, listed under tmobile devices the MDA III, a posible hint maybe that the kaiser maybe released on tmobile sooner than expected?

d

post-15111-1180389934_thumb.jpg

Guest magic_peanuts
Was looking at tmobiles downloads section (games) earlier today and spotted, listed under tmobile devices the MDA III, a posible hint maybe that the kaiser maybe released on tmobile sooner than expected?

d

Good spot. On reading your post I first thought you'd got mixed up with the MDA Compact III, but no, that's definitely a Vario III. I still think it'll be July but that's only a few weeks away now.

Guest mikeeey
Hi xxnoelzixx,

Can you tell us if the Kaiser can shoot VGA res video, and if so how many frames per second you get? Video recording is the main thing I really like about my N95.

Thanks,

Xerxes

supposably the qualcomm 7200 chip allows it to do this. hopefully the kaiser takes full advantage of the chip. if not then coolcamera definatly will.

Guest mikeeey
Good spot. On reading your post I first thought you'd got mixed up with the MDA Compact III, but no, that's definitely a Vario III. I still think it'll be July but that's only a few weeks away now.

i thought the exact same thing as you. but the following words i would say would be repeating your exact post so im gonna leave it at that.

Guest leshemnoam
i thought the exact same thing as you. but the following words i would say would be repeating your exact post so im gonna leave it at that.

it's the some on the German t-mobile site

Guest magic_peanuts

Can someone who has one test the GPS for me?

Is it as bad as the Ameo / M700 for TTFF? I don't understand why they haven't put a Sirf Star III GPS chip in like in the MDA Comapct III (Armetis)

Guest cgcmd

Hi Thanks for your great photos. I just wonder does the Kaiser's keyboard has a backlight and is it blue like its predecessors? Also I am wondering is the integrated 400MHz CPU in 7200 capable of matching the mainstream samsung or intel CPUs. Any views guys?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.