T-Mobile start Port Blocking on Web'n'Walk

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Confucious

@markukcouk - Don't know where you are Mark but I find T much better than O and you are one of the very few lucky people that managed to get OWU from O - best of luck to you - if they oferred it to everyone they'd have a lot more customers.

@hunnyando_uk - You were never allowed to use IM with basic W'n'W - if you were then you were breaking your T&C - you ccan't complain because they have stopped you breaking your contract! Well, you can but don't expect much sympathy!

Guest hunyango_uk
Ahh I tried so hard not to post this post, but I just can't help myself....

MUWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAH

I stuck with orange, and pay £8 a month for unlimited, portblock free access. Its really quick, with no pathetically slow DNS servers.

Let the flames begin.... I'm ready to back up every last thing I've said.

ei markukcouk, can you please post the link where i can read the £8/month unlimited co'z i did cancel my other contract from t mobile and did move to orange. :rolleyes:

cheers.

Edited by hunyango_uk

Guest MARKUKCOUK
@markukcouk - Don't know where you are Mark but I find T much better than O and you are one of the very few lucky people that managed to get OWU from O - best of luck to you - if they oferred it to everyone they'd have a lot more customers.

Confucious... Congrats at being a gentleman and not rising to my abuse! I realise OWU was a bit of a joke, but its worth knowing that Orange now offer this to everyone, including PAYG (although this deal is slightly different I believe)

Guest mandt

I think some of the criticism aimed at T-Mo for this is a little unjustified.

Regular visitors to this site (most of us) know that IM isn't allowed on standard W n W, if you need it then upgrade.

Lets face it T-Mobile deserve a little credit for not just hitting us with a huge data bill.....which I'm sure they could have done, then you'd be angry

Guest Confucious
Confucious... Congrats at being a gentleman and not rising to my abuse! I realise OWU was a bit of a joke, but its worth knowing that Orange now offer this to everyone, including PAYG (although this deal is slightly different I believe)

If someone has a deal they are happy wit, best of luck to them! I am very happy with T nut realise others have different mneeds. The new O £8/month offering is capped at 30Mb which is even more of a joke! :rolleyes:

I would probably have stayed with O had I been able to get OWU - but then I would have missed out on Flext and decent CS so....

Guest hunyango_uk
@hunnyando_uk - You were never allowed to use IM with basic W'n'W - if you were then you were breaking your T&C - you ccan't complain because they have stopped you breaking your contract! Well, you can but don't expect much sympathy!

i did maybe miss the part where it says i can't use IM, but surely it's kinda annoying. what's the use of unlimited data? i know that i can't use it on my pc but that part i miss, but still pain in the neck.

and by the way my username is hunyango_uk ===>>> hunnyando_uk :P

My apology, if i started a fire in this thread but my only point is why put unlimited data tariff if we can't use the IM, and come to think of it that they have the pocket msn before.

and i do agree with the data tariff compares to O, there's is a big ede on T mobile.

well probably someone's listening from T and can do something bout this. :rolleyes:

Edited by hunyango_uk

Guest Paul (MVP)

My IM still works fine on standard WnW.

I wonder if those for who it doesn't are using dodgy hacked messenger clients that could have expired or whatever?

P

Guest nforsans

As some of us can connect to IM and others can't, maybe T-Mobile is experiencing difficulties at the moment? In which case they may not even do port blocking...

I think T-Mobile is the best UK network around - the first one to bring us unlimited data at reasonnable rates (that was two years ago, at a time when no other networks would even consider doing this) unlike Orange which is a complete joke. As for the customer service, I've never had any problems with them - and one can do most things online using their excellent My T-Mobile web portal. I've done all UK networks over the past 8 years, and T-Mobile is the only one I stuck to for more than one 12/18 month contract.

As for coverage, I travel up and down the country every week on the east cost main Line and it is as good as any other network - even better actually, with the added benefits of HSDPA in and around London, peterborough/Grantham, yorkshire, etc.

I am on the original webnwalk at £7.50 (on top of my Flext something) and I use my hermes as a modem with my laptop when I travel (using internet sharing on Wm6) and this works great - I have not noticed any changes to the quality of the service, although my radio could not establish a 3G connection (at times) yesterday afternoon in yorkshire - GPRS worked fine though. maybe that's all it is: tech difficulties, not port blocking..!

if they were doing port blocking, we would all experience the same problems.

Guest Confucious

Possibly - BUT My normal internet access remains unaffected, it's ONLY Live messenger I can no longer access (Last time I did was 12/05/07). Could the be blocking access on different cells and rolling out the blocking? Or maybe it is just coincidence?

@hunyango_uk - appologies gfor mis-typing your username - as you might have nooticed, typing is not my strong point....

Guest Wam7
can't access most of the times my IM's (i'm using windows live messenger & IM+). the good thing about t mobile was the unlimited data tariff but what's the use of the unlimited data tariff if you can't access the service you want to use.

glad that i cancel my one contract with them one to go, in few months.

is there any good service around?

edited!!! :rolleyes:

I think you will find that for the time being the best service is still the W&W Plus if you want to use instant messengers!

Guest UndeadDevil
I stuck with orange, and pay £8 a month for unlimited, portblock free access. Its really quick, with no pathetically slow DNS servers.

and... heres the best bit.... a 2G GSM Network THAT ACTUALLY WORKS.

I came from T-Mobile from Orange PAG, there internet is awfull, I payed £1 a Day for 3G Access, when it worked it was ok, if you like 20kb/s but most of the time it couldn't connect. It also dropped out alot. Then go to GPRS, omg don't ever use Orange GPRS. Connection drops every couple of minutes.

Maybe its my area or something because everyone I know had the same problems with Orange. I suppose we could also add the insanly frequent call drop-outs, credit disapperaring and other mysterys that are Orange.

Lastly Oranges DNS Server are fast? I found them alot slower the T-Mobile's, pages took at least 2-3 seconds before the DNS server responded. And also Orange Broadband is the worst in the UK, mainly because of there DNS server problems. (You can check this at http://www.dslzoneuk.net)

My future is alot Brighter since I left the pathetic excuse of a mobile network.

Guest markdotpeters5

I think some of the comments are a little harsh towards Tmobile. I've got standard WnW, and for my area, the signal has been rock solid, just as Orange was.

At least Tmobile didn't wait for months, even years after the competition had started offering flat rate access!

Oh, and surfing over 3g where I am is perfectly fast thanks :rolleyes:

It's the shameless lack of respect for their customers that cost Orange my custom, and I will never go back. Tmobil have been fine, so far! *fingers crossed*

Guest hunyango_uk
Possibly - BUT My normal internet access remains unaffected, it's ONLY Live messenger I can no longer access (Last time I did was 12/05/07). Could the be blocking access on different cells and rolling out the blocking? Or maybe it is just coincidence?

@hunyango_uk - appologies gfor mis-typing your username - as you might have nooticed, typing is not my strong point....

@confucious same weakness as i am. that's why i got too many edited replies and posts. :rolleyes:

Guest Jasonkruys

LIVE Messenger? Unless you have WM6 then that is still in Beta and might possibly be the cause? I know you are a more 'experienced' member than most mate, so don't be offended if it sounds like I am teaching you to such eggs :rolleyes: I'm assuming you are an official tester and have the latest build, so maybe there are just problems..

I am an official tester, but currently am running WM6 and I can connect to Live Messenger fine

Guest Confucious

Maybe it is my unofficial WM6 which seams to have accidently found its way onto my Universal while I wasn't looking (honest guv!) that is causing the problem...

Like I say, I'm on standard W'n'W so shouldn't use it anyway so am not to fussed but it would be interesting to find out if a) T are blocking certain things (that we shouldn't be using anyway) or :rolleyes: there are network problems or c) there is a problem with my device (WM6?) or d) some other problem

I have accessed Live messenger occasionaly up until 12/05 but probably hadn't tried since then until a week or so ago and haven't been able to access it since.

Guest Confucious

I can't find a way of deleting my account - I have managed to delete hotmail from outlook - and now can't get it back! But am trying to delete my Live account completely so I can re - add it.

I'm failing miserably!

Guest adchaffey

Just to add to the debate, I'm also on the poor mans Web n Walk (Standard) and am having no problems at all connecting to MSN on my Vario. It is the original MSN messenger though, not the Live messenger and certainly not WM6!

Guest Rob.P

Since first post in this thread I have tested all my usual uses for data on the Vario and I'm not so sure they are port blocking, I'm more inclined to think they are either messing around with their network or theres a glitch somewhere.

Live Messenger works ok, laptop > modem working fine, and file sharing across net to home server seems ok too and I'm on the WnW basic.

The one bit of software that refused to work though was FizzTravellers weather update, althoug it works fine if I use WiFi or pass-through, so dfinitely gremlin in the network methinks.

Guest UndeadDevil

If you don't think there port blocking phone them up and ask one of the tech people. One things for sure, the FTP port is blocked.

Guest Paul (MVP)

That's what I don't get tho, how is that not allowed in the T&Cs? It's not peer to peer file sharing is it, or IM, or VOIP etc. etc.

I will phone them when I get a chance.

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.