AT&T + iPhone bring WM users faster EDGE speeds!

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest nickcornaglia

The iPhone is only a 2.5G Phone using EDGE under AT&T. In an effort to give iPhone users a bit more speed, AT&T have boosted their EDGE speeds to what I see as being double or more. (From what I read this is also in the same timing as upgrading older technology towers with more T1 lines while completely turning off older technology like TDMA).

I tested this by turning off 3G on my Samsung Blackjack so I was just getting EDGE. After three tests on my phone I was reaching speeds of 160kbps, 180, then 200kbps. Others across the net have clocked a bit higher.

Now I can turn off my 3G and get longer battery life on my Blackjack and no cost to battery consumption. (That I know of yet).

So thank you iPhone for helping make my Windows Mobile Phone a bit better! :)

Have you tested this on your device? Getting higher speeds? Getting faster speeds with your 3G settings? Let us know by commenting here...AND , lets hope this lasts!

Guest thelostsoul

Hmm...I'll experiment a bit more. Those are around the speeds I usually get with some random drops to below 100 though.

Though I did notice EDGE and GPRS dropping out occasionally in the past few days. Could be them upgrading. I just tested and got 180, but the real question is will it continue to drop out on me.

Thanks for the news!

(for those who want to test btw: dslreports.com/mspeed - go there on your mobile)

Guest dgduris

Yeah! That's all really great and stuff. i can tell you, though, that since last week Wednesday, my cell phone on AT&T (an 8525) drops calls and drops dialing like a pigeon feasting on blueberries above a Ferrari garage.

I mean, I haven't had a call since early last week that I didn't have to redial once or twice during the conversation.

My understanding is that my experience with AT&T over the last few days is not atypical.

Yes, the iPhone may be a contract breaker!

Guest thelostsoul

Hmm...I've not encountered a single one of your problems dgduris.

Possibly a problem with your phone? Try a hardreset?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.