Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Yuri Wuensch

Using HTC phone as a digital recorder?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello. I am new to the forum, so I hope this particular topic hasn't already been covered before. I did some looking and couldn't find anything.

I am looking to jump into an HTC smart phone (or a PDA phone of some kind), but the one feature I would most like to see addressed is whether the phone can also double as a digital recorder. I know there's a voice record microphone built directly into the phone itself, but I'm after something more along the lines of an external jack.

A bit of background:

I'm a writer and often find myself recording either a) in person interviews or :) telephone interviews. I am currently using a Sony MD to record both by way of a microphone that plugs in directly to the MD or a jack system that allows me to plug into a normal land-line phone. It usually works fine, but my MD is getting to be of age and is, as such, increasingly less reliable.

I don't want to record phone conversations that I'm having on my HTC itself (though that would also be beneficial), but rather as an option to simply plug into it (via a straight microphone or USB jack) and record.

Is this possible? That's the question. I've been doing a lot of research and haven't found anything conclusive and would appreciate some feedback to that end. And if not, why not? Between a smart phone's capacity to write word documents, take pictures and, hopefully, record (from phone, microphone, etc.) this would be the tool many journalists would undoubtedly want to have.

I gather there is a range of third-party software and shareware that can be used for recording, but is there a mic line in - that's the question.

Please hit me back. If this is possible, the Kaiser has my name all over it.

Guest GTOMX

I am new to your forum. Enjoyed your review. Also enjoyed the comments. It appears that the Kaiser should support the new HD expansion card format. Great news.

A question. Audible Books is a popular US online download retailer of recorded audible books. For a fee, Audible will download recorded books (and periodicals). These downloads are then replayed by the customer on various platforms including MP3 players, Ipods and cellphones. The recorded books are encrypted to protect copyright rights. The formats for download are available in three sizes, Format 2, 3, and 4 with 4 being the largest of the audible files. To my ears there is a significant difference in quality between the files, with Format 4 beings the highest quality. I have been inquiring of HTC (I had no real access) and Audible to see if the new HTC phones with mobile 6 pro would be supporting Audible's largest file. No one seemed to know or for that matter, seem too iterested. At present the new Iphone is the only cell phone shown on the Audible site that is supporting the large Format 4 file. Audible is the premire recorded book company in North America and I think handing this business to Iphone (Ipod already has much of the business) is a mistake. Can you suggest any contact at HTC which might be more accessible for consideration of this matter. I was told by Audible that this was a Windows Mobile problem, but do not have much confidence in that response.

Guest mikeeey
I am new to your forum. Enjoyed your review. Also enjoyed the comments. It appears that the Kaiser should support the new HD expansion card format. Great news.

A question. Audible Books is a popular US online download retailer of recorded audible books. For a fee, Audible will download recorded books (and periodicals). These downloads are then replayed by the customer on various platforms including MP3 players, Ipods and cellphones. The recorded books are encrypted to protect copyright rights. The formats for download are available in three sizes, Format 2, 3, and 4 with 4 being the largest of the audible files. To my ears there is a significant difference in quality between the files, with Format 4 beings the highest quality. I have been inquiring of HTC (I had no real access) and Audible to see if the new HTC phones with mobile 6 pro would be supporting Audible's largest file. No one seemed to know or for that matter, seem too iterested. At present the new Iphone is the only cell phone shown on the Audible site that is supporting the large Format 4 file. Audible is the premire recorded book company in North America and I think handing this business to Iphone (Ipod already has much of the business) is a mistake. Can you suggest any contact at HTC which might be more accessible for consideration of this matter. I was told by Audible that this was a Windows Mobile problem, but do not have much confidence in that response.

hm? explain more about this HD expansion card format?

is it a whole different card? other than SD, Mini, or Micro? or is it just a format? Like how the name sounds? whats so different about these cards?

Edited by mikeeey

Guest moparman

quote GTOMX

"It appears that the Kaiser should support the new HD expansion card format"

I must be blind..I can`t find anythin about HD expansion card in the review.

Can you tell me what HD expension card is ?

Never heard about it before :)

Guest tupeu
hm? explain more about this HD expansion card format?

is it a whole different card? other than SD, Mini, or Micro? or is it just a format? Like how the name sounds? whats so different about these cards?

SD HC expansion card , this HC that bouthers you all is the ultimate tehnology for SD cards... (in my opoinion, and my researches) and with the help of this HD tech, the card manufacturers happily touched the great record of 4gb for microSD or 16gb for SD cards

I repeat, I'm not sure for this explanations, but it will help you :)

Edited by tupeu

Guest tupeu

I have some questions for Paul (hope it will be answered :) ). I have a Nokia 7710 and I can't stand it anymore, is very slow, and I want to upgrade to a Kaiser, 

I need the GPS , 3g, wifi, qwerty etc ;) . On my Nokia I liked the fact that it was very good for a music player,

and I understand that Kaiser has a miniUSB headset, and I think I'll not find a replaceable headset, if the original one brokes.

The best way to solve this problem is to buy a Stereo bluetooth Headset

And the question comes like this:

HTC Kaiser supports A2DP? this A2DP lets a stereo bluetooth headset to connect to the phone

I saw on the web a sort of bluetooth reciever with 3.5mm jack that recieves via BT the stereo music from the phone... is that possible for this HTC device??

How does the music sound like when listened from his integrated speaker?

Did you played a full time movie? Is this phone good to play movies on it? :P 

And the last question, how does it Record videos? refered to the frames and resolution.

thank you very much, I hope you will answer me

Guest Paul (MVP)

I have to say I don't know a massive amount about the Audible books, but do you know why the 'Format 4' isn't compatible exactly? What happens when you try to use it? To say it is a HTC problem seems unlikely - does it work on non HTC devices?

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
I have some questions for Paul (hope it will be answered :) ). I have a Nokia 7710 and I can't stand it anymore, is very slow, and I want to upgrade to a Kaiser,

I need the GPS , 3g, wifi, qwerty etc ;) . On my Nokia I liked the fact that it was very good for a music player,

and I understand that Kaiser has a miniUSB headset, and I think I'll not find a replaceable headset, if the original one brokes.

The best way to solve this problem is to buy a Stereo bluetooth Headset

And the question comes like this:

HTC Kaiser supports A2DP? this A2DP lets a stereo bluetooth headset to connect to the phone

I saw on the web a sort of bluetooth reciever with 3.5mm jack that recieves via BT the stereo music from the phone... is that possible for this HTC device??

The Kaiser does support A2DP, I haven't tested it yet though, I'll dig out my BT headphones and see how it goes :D

How does the music sound like when listened from his integrated speaker?

Average, the speaker is not really designed for high quality music playback.

Did you played a full time movie? Is this phone good to play movies on it? :P

Not yet, watch this space, i'll try TCPMP and CorePlayer.

And the last question, how does it Record videos? refered to the frames and resolution.

thank you very much, I hope you will answer me

Only up to 352x288 at the moment sadly :D

P

Guest kathryncheng

hello paul,

iam quite new to these posting bit and i just clicked on one of the reply as i dont know how to get and ask you a question :)

anyway the question is

1. I have a hw6915 and it has a software to take pictures with gps tagging can kaiser do this as well?

2. I live in Norfolk as well in kingslynn... and I often visit norwich... could I come and have a look at the htc Kaiser? only if possible.... :P ;) :D

thanks,

dennis

Guest Paul (MVP)

1. GPS tagging doesn't seem to be in the build I have, I would expect it to make the final release however. Well, more HOPE than EXPECT. If HTC don't add it, a 3rd party easily can too.

2. There seem to be a few people around this way, I was thinking we could do a pub meet and i'll bring some toys along :)

P

Guest jim.mason
1. GPS tagging doesn't seem to be in the build I have, I would expect it to make the final release however. Well, more HOPE than EXPECT. If HTC don't add it, a 3rd party easily can too.

2. There seem to be a few people around this way, I was thinking we could do a pub meet and i'll bring some toys along :)

P

You can count me in, nothing more exciting than beer and gadgets!!!

I will be up for this would love to come up north for a drink got a few friends up that way too. So could kill 2 birds with one stone.

Just trying to get some new phones to play with. Kaiser is taking a lot of my time up though.

post-118474-1184675786_thumb.jpg

post-118474-1184675807_thumb.jpg

Guest ethibault

Hello

I have a question :

Is the cpu powerfull enough so that it is possible to make the most of HSDPA speed ?

The reason of my question is : what would be the point of having a HSDPA connection but a CPU not fast enough to render the difference of speed with say a standard UMTS connection.

I tried a HSDPA connection on a PC an after you don't wan't to surf in UMTS, because HSDPA is DSL (I have a more than 4 Mbtis/s DSL connection) like speed

Guest GordonTGopher
I will be up for this would love to come up north for a drink got a few friends up that way too. So could kill 2 birds with one stone.

Just trying to get some new phones to play with. Kaiser is taking a lot of my time up though.

LOL @ RH picture, Confucius say Man with one Kaiser always knows the time, man with two never quite sure! Best box one up and send it to me, I don't mind the one with the faulty clock :)

Guest Paul (MVP)

Sounds like a plan then, i'll just determine a suitable venue and we'll go from there!

Norwich centre on a weekday evening?

P

Guest Shuflie
Using HTC phone as a digital recorder?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello. I am new to the forum, so I hope this particular topic hasn't already been covered before. I did some looking and couldn't find anything.

I am looking to jump into an HTC smart phone (or a PDA phone of some kind), but the one feature I would most like to see addressed is whether the phone can also double as a digital recorder. I know there's a voice record microphone built directly into the phone itself, but I'm after something more along the lines of an external jack.

A bit of background:

I'm a writer and often find myself recording either a) in person interviews or :) telephone interviews. I am currently using a Sony MD to record both by way of a microphone that plugs in directly to the MD or a jack system that allows me to plug into a normal land-line phone. It usually works fine, but my MD is getting to be of age and is, as such, increasingly less reliable.

I don't want to record phone conversations that I'm having on my HTC itself (though that would also be beneficial), but rather as an option to simply plug into it (via a straight microphone or USB jack) and record.

Is this possible? That's the question. I've been doing a lot of research and haven't found anything conclusive and would appreciate some feedback to that end. And if not, why not? Between a smart phone's capacity to write word documents, take pictures and, hopefully, record (from phone, microphone, etc.) this would be the tool many journalists would undoubtedly want to have.

I gather there is a range of third-party software and shareware that can be used for recording, but is there a mic line in - that's the question.

Please hit me back. If this is possible, the Kaiser has my name all over it.

As it comes with a headset that you can use for phone calls then there is a line in, the problem is that HTC have moved away from the more common 2.5mm/3.5mm jack setup to their EXTUSB connection. I know you can get adaptors for the standard jack setups, but I don't know if anyone has brought out an EXTUSB one yet. If not then you would need to cut up your headset and put standard sockets onto it, or get someone more experienced with a soldering iron to do it for you if you aren't confident you can do it yourself.

EDIT: your headset will be safe, ORA make an adaptor that you can even use to charge and sync with at the same time. Expansys sell it for £9.95 - LINK.

EDIT2: Maybe I spoke too soon, looks like it doesn't provide a standard line input socket, just brings the extUSB socket out to attach your standard headset to.

Edited by Shuflie

Guest kathryncheng

P

That would be good... just email us and you could count me in....

thanks,

dennis

Guest mikeeey

xxnoelziexx,

have you found out if the kaiser supports multiple presses on the D-pad for gaming yet?

or the problem i was mentioning with 110mb of missing Rom?

Only up to 352x288 at the moment sadly :P

P

even tho it CAN support up to VGA 30fps, the HTC camera software wont let us record any higher. however Ateksoft Coolcamera will let us when its supported :)

even tho it CAN support up to VGA 30fps, the HTC camera software wont let us record any higher. however Ateksoft Coolcamera will let us when its supported :)

Perhaps but I wouldn't buy the phone on this basis, just in case! (at least not until a supporting version of Cool Camera is released and you've checked their forums to make sure that it's working).

Guest sub69
...have you found out if the kaiser supports multiple presses on the D-pad for gaming yet?...

I haven't got one yet, but I'm 99.9% certain this won't be a problem. All of the compact QWERTY devices these days need to be able to recognise multiple presses.

That's mainly in order for the user to be able to hold the "Caps" or "Shift" (Blue Dot) button down whilst typing out a word in caps or a phone number (without having to use the Caps/Shift lock every time).

Certainly this is the case on the TyTn, P4350, and Toshiba G900, so it'd make no sense at all to cripple the typing capability of the P4550. The nice little side effect is the improvement in gaming usability.

K-Rally is a great little game in landscape with the keyboard slid out. I wonder if PDA Mill have finally sorted out Flux Challenge for QWERTY keyboard control...?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.