TomTom on Kaiser how to

Getting TomTom to work on the Kaiser.

1) Install Tom Tom on your device the version I used was 6.030

2) When configuring the GPS select other NMEA GPS receiver Click select

3) GPS baud rate should be left on default which is 4800 click done

4) Kaisers GPS works on com4 if setup correct you will see a orange led light which flashes every 6-8 seconds.

There you have it enjoy TomTom on your Kaiser 

Screen captures below. I was in my house and it picks up two satellites which is pretty good.

You will require a GPS enabled rom, I had some good news this morning it looks like HTC are trying to get a deal with TomTom and the Kaiser will be released in to flavours standard/pro. Standard will included no GPS software but GPS enabled and the Pro will included TomTom and maps for you region so there will be two prices. This deal is not set in stone but very close. This deal will be great for HTC and TomTom :-)

Well I was out most of last night in the car testing it and it works perfectly HTC are on to a real winner. This phone is in a different league to the Iphone.

post-118474-1183819935_thumb.png

post-118474-1183819976_thumb.png

post-118474-1183819982_thumb.png

post-118474-1183819989_thumb.png

post-118474-1183819999_thumb.png

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...
Guest mhammega
Getting TomTom to work on the Kaiser.

1) Install Tom Tom on your device the version I used was 6.030

2) When configuring the GPS select other NMEA GPS receiver Click select

3) GPS baud rate should be left on default which is 4800 click done

4) Kaisers GPS works on com4 if setup correct you will see a orange led light which flashes every 6-8 seconds.

However, if you install the included TomTom Navigator 6 from the included CD (Installer_Kaiser_ttn_6_032_8351_HTC_WWE_20070716.exe) everything will work from the moment you install the program.

TomTom Navigator 6 version 6.032 included the option for a "Build-In GPS Receiver".

I tested it myself and it works like a charm ;)

P.S. The included Sprite Backup software is really nice too :wub:

Guest borg.cube
However, if you install the included TomTom Navigator 6 from the included CD (Installer_Kaiser_ttn_6_032_8351_HTC_WWE_20070716.exe) everything will work from the moment you install the program.

TomTom Navigator 6 version 6.032 included the option for a "Build-In GPS Receiver".

I tested it myself and it works like a charm ;)

P.S. The included Sprite Backup software is really nice too :wub:

TomTom is NOT working in the US. It wont let me download my one free map.

I entered NY City and it jumps to this link: http://htc-citymaps.tomtom.com/downloads/N...NY-10019434.cab

but then just hangs. I think it will only let you download European maps and without a map it wont initialize and it wont work...So I can't get it started up and then then run Google Maps.

Hi everybody,

Tomtom taster version works fine with my Tytn II and I would be very interested in buying West Europe maps. But what do I choose :

• The dvd version sold on the HTC europe web site ?
  • The downloadable version available on the Tom tom website ?

Waht are the difference between this 2 choices ?

But my main question is : how to install the maps in the Tytn ? Do I have to copy them on a sd memory card and Tomtom software (which is setting up in the Tytn) will find them automaticaly ? If yes, will I be able to put other stuff (file, images...) in the memory card ? Or do I need to install maps and tomtom software both on the sd card ?

Sorry for these "silly" questions but I'am not very comfortable with GPS's subtilities !

Regards,

Yorik

Guest Webreaper

Not sure what the point of this thread is. As mentioned above, just install the TT6 from the CD included with the handset, and away you go - it just works.

YMMV if it's an EU spec phone in the US.

Google Maps never gives the GPS a chance to get its first fix. However, install Live Search Mobile, and that works a treat - I got it working on the way home before I'd actually installed TT6.

Yorik,

TomTom Taster version will work fine with other maps.

You can just buy the download version and put the map folder in the SD card (root folder).

TomTom will be able to find itu automatically.

And yes, you can still put other stuffs in the SD card as long as there are free spaces.

I use the Taster edition (v6.0.32) and this maps :

- 1 free City map

- Western and Central Europe

And it works just fine.

Hi everybody,

Tomtom taster version works fine with my Tytn II and I would be very interested in buying West Europe maps. But what do I choose :

• The dvd version sold on the HTC europe web site ?
  • The downloadable version available on the Tom tom website ?

Waht are the difference between this 2 choices ?

But my main question is : how to install the maps in the Tytn ? Do I have to copy them on a sd memory card and Tomtom software (which is setting up in the Tytn) will find them automaticaly ? If yes, will I be able to put other stuff (file, images...) in the memory card ? Or do I need to install maps and tomtom software both on the sd card ?

Sorry for these "silly" questions but I'am not very comfortable with GPS's subtilities !

Regards,

Yorik

Yorik,

You can just buy the download version and put the map folder in the SD card (root folder).

And yes, you can still put other stuffs in the SD card as long as there are free spaces.

- 1 free City map

And it works just fine.

Many thanks for your clear answer Kapot !

Yorik,

- 1 free City map

And it works just fine.

At what point do you get the option to download a map? Is the option presented on the PC or the Kaiser?

I installed the version that came with the CD but never got an option to download a map. Even when using TomTom on the device, there are no options to download a map. (not that I can see anyway) Anyone offer help with this?

Cheers,

FrankyG

Guest NuShrike
TomTom is NOT working in the US. It wont let me download my one free map.

I entered NY City and it jumps to this link: http://htc-citymaps.tomtom.com/downloads/N...NY-10019434.cab

but then just hangs. I think it will only let you download European maps and without a map it wont initialize and it wont work...So I can't get it started up and then then run Google Maps.

Works fine for me. I downloaded my SoCal map just fine. I did take a bit of time for the map to download. Did you try waiting?

FrankyG,

Go to Switch map and click the Voucher button.

At what point do you get the option to download a map? Is the option presented on the PC or the Kaiser?

I installed the version that came with the CD but never got an option to download a map. Even when using TomTom on the device, there are no options to download a map. (not that I can see anyway) Anyone offer help with this?

Cheers,

FrankyG

I'm looking to upgrade to the Kaiser from a Wizard, which I have TomTom Navigator 5 Bluetooth installed on.

I've read other threads about the struggle people have getting the new code from TomTom support to move the software to another device and also that the Kaiser doesn't support below v6 so, as I obviously won't need the TomTom bluetooth receiver with the Kaiser, just wondered if anyone else has been in a similar position?

I couldn't see any obvious upgrade option on the TomTom website.

I'm guessing I won't be able to use (copy over) the maps I have currently?

Probably best to try and uninstall it from my Wizard and sell both items on Ebay?

I got the program working like a charm. My problem is that Tomtom traffic generates an error message: "An error occured on your device. Please try again" this message always comes when trying to update traffic. Any ideas?

Guest borg.cube
Works fine for me. I downloaded my SoCal map just fine. I did take a bit of time for the map to download. Did you try waiting?

Yes. No luck. It keeps saying the link for the New York City cab is not found (and everyone knows you can always get a cab in NYC! ;). At this point I'm just going to wait for CoPilot Live 7 for Windows Mobile 6 which is due to be released on October 1st. Might as well keep some of my spending supporting a US GPS company.

Guest Neil5459
I'm looking to upgrade to the Kaiser from a Wizard, which I have TomTom Navigator 5 Bluetooth installed on.

I've read other threads about the struggle people have getting the new code from TomTom support to move the software to another device and also that the Kaiser doesn't support below v6 so, as I obviously won't need the TomTom bluetooth receiver with the Kaiser, just wondered if anyone else has been in a similar position?

I couldn't see any obvious upgrade option on the TomTom website.

I'm guessing I won't be able to use (copy over) the maps I have currently?

Probably best to try and uninstall it from my Wizard and sell both items on Ebay?

There are a number of possible answers!

How many times have you activated your copy of TTN5? If only 1, then you are allowed another activation, as long as you have the original product code for the map. Go to ttcode.com and follow the prompts once you have installed TTN5 on the Kaiser.

TTN5 installation can be a pain, but it can be done. Look for details on the various forums.

There is no 'upgrade' path from TTN5 to 6- you have to buy a new copy.

TTN5 maps won't work in TTN6, so no point in copying unless you stick with TTN5

You could sell the Wizard on Ebay, but the TomTom T&C won't allow selling TomTom, as the buyer won't be allowed to activate it.

You could sell the Wizard on Ebay, but the TomTom T&C won't allow selling TomTom, as the buyer won't be allowed to activate it.

Thanks for the info.

I've been watching a few o2 XDA Mini-S on Ebay which seem to go for around £100.

There's also people selling TomTom5 bluetooth, and some do say used, so I guess they're just taking the risk.

I have only installed the software once, but based upon your comments it looks like I might need to perhaps sell it with the Wizard.

Have to say, I think it's a bit poor on TomTom's part to have no upgrade path AND say you can't sell the old software. I paid about £170 for the software and official bluetooth adapter, whereas a friend has gone the other route, paid under £50 for a 3rd party bluetooth GPS and has progressed from TomTom5 to 6, both of course he paid nothing for. It's great they look after their paying customers so well. ;)

Edited by LeiChat

Guest Neil5459

You can certainly sell the TomTom Bluetooth receiver, as that's an item you've purchased, as oppsoed to a 'license fee'.

You could also sell the Wizard, with bTomTom Receiver, and software, and although technically against the T&C, no-one will know.

You could also stick with your copy of TTN5, and use your 2nd official Activation on the Kaiser, but bear in mind that TTN5 is getting pretty old now!

With regard to the Upgrade position- TTN6 bought 'new' is actually cheaper than TomTom's previous upgrade price from TTN3 to 5; The downloaded TTN6 with UK Map is only £42, and the whole of Europe £69, so not a bad deal overall.

Guest kathryncheng
Thanks for the info.

I've been watching a few o2 XDA Mini-S on Ebay which seem to go for around £100.

There's also people selling TomTom5 bluetooth, and some do say used, so I guess they're just taking the risk.

I have only installed the software once, but based upon your comments it looks like I might need to perhaps sell it with the Wizard.

Have to say, I think it's a bit poor on TomTom's part to have no upgrade path AND say you can't sell the old software. I paid about £170 for the software and official bluetooth adapter, whereas a friend has gone the other route, paid under £50 for a 3rd party bluetooth GPS and has progressed from TomTom5 to 6, both of course he paid nothing for. It's great they look after their paying customers so well. ;)

hello i just received my tomtom specifically for p4550 and works like a treat and i only got it very very cheap ...from a mate around here ... works like a treat with whole EU and Aus map ... email:[email protected]

You suggest what to do with TTN5, but what about TTN6.

I have TTN6 installed on my old MDA Vario II with the UK map on SD card.

I have installed the TTN Taster TTN6.032 on my newly bought HTC TyTN II and have dowmnloaded my one free map of Leeds to the SD card.

The Leeds map works fine.

Can I now activate my UK map to work on the TyTN?

Thanks

Mike

You can certainly sell the TomTom Bluetooth receiver, as that's an item you've purchased, as oppsoed to a 'license fee'.

You could also sell the Wizard, with bTomTom Receiver, and software, and although technically against the T&C, no-one will know.

You could also stick with your copy of TTN5, and use your 2nd official Activation on the Kaiser, but bear in mind that TTN5 is getting pretty old now!

With regard to the Upgrade position- TTN6 bought 'new' is actually cheaper than TomTom's previous upgrade price from TTN3 to 5; The downloaded TTN6 with UK Map is only £42, and the whole of Europe £69, so not a bad deal overall.

Guest Neil5459
You suggest what to do with TTN5, but what about TTN6.

I have TTN6 installed on my old MDA Vario II with the UK map on SD card.

I have installed the TTN Taster TTN6.032 on my newly bought HTC TyTN II and have dowmnloaded my one free map of Leeds to the SD card.

The Leeds map works fine.

Can I now activate my UK map to work on the TyTN?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike: As long as you have not used your 2nd Activation, and you still have the Product Code for the UK map, it should work fine.

Copy the UK map to your MicroSD card for the Kaiser, then fire up TomTom6. Go into Change Preferences, and Manage Maps/Switch Map. You should see your UK map in the available list- tap it and it should then open up into the 'Map Needs Activating' Window (I can't remember the exact wording!). Choose 'Manual Activation' and you will see the 'Device Code' screen.

Now go to TT Code click the UK Activate link, and enter your Product Code for the UK & IE Map. You will see a screen with your current device, but you should be able to add a new Device Code, and will then be given the required Activation Code, which you tap into the relevant boxes in TTN on the Kaiser.

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...
Guest sameerabedi

Hi all

Just upgraded to the HTC TyTn II on Orange, but can't get TomTom to work.

I've installed TTN6 from my SPV M3100 and set it to baud rate 4800, COM4 but it still doesn't pick up a signal.

Anyone able to help?

Guest Neil5459

What message are you getting from TomTom (on the status screen below the map): No GPS Device, or No Valid GPS Signal?

If the former, there is something wrong with the setup, or the GPS isn't working. If you have TTN6.03 (or the new 6.032 included as the TomTom Taster Edition on some TyTn II's, and specific to this device) try changing the GPS to 'Built In GPS'

If the latter, you simply need to go outside with a clear view of the sky, for up to 20 minutes (but more usually 5-10) to obtain an initial satellite fix.

Guest sameerabedi

Managed to get it working after standing outside in the cold for 10mins, it picked up a satellite. Ever since it's much quicker and picks up a signal with 2mins or so!

Guest fulleke
Hi Mike: As long as you have not used your 2nd Activation, and you still have the Product Code for the UK map, it should work fine.

Copy the UK map to your MicroSD card for the Kaiser, then fire up TomTom6. Go into Change Preferences, and Manage Maps/Switch Map. You should see your UK map in the available list- tap it and it should then open up into the 'Map Needs Activating' Window (I can't remember the exact wording!). Choose 'Manual Activation' and you will see the 'Device Code' screen.

Now go to TT Code click the UK Activate link, and enter your Product Code for the UK & IE Map. You will see a screen with your current device, but you should be able to add a new Device Code, and will then be given the required Activation Code, which you tap into the relevant boxes in TTN on the Kaiser.

Hope this helps!

I have a TomTom Rider, where the Western Europe Map is located on the SD in a subdirectory. I've copied the entire subdir to the SD of the HTC. But TT6 (installed from the CD that came with the Kaiser) doesn't see the map, just the one that i downloaded when i first started TT6.

Any ideas ?

Guest Phil Lee

The folder structure on my Vario III is as follows:

\TomTom - contains TTToday.dll

\Program Files\Navigator - contains the Navigator software

\Storage Card - contains Start.exe, ttdesk.ver and ttnavigator.bif

\Storage Card\voices - contains the voice files

\Storage Card\Western Europe - contains all the map files (no sub-folders)

Edited by Phil Lee