Random Screen turn off!

Guest JamminJP

Guest JamminJP

My phone is doing strange things!

I can be tying a txt, or just using the phone, all of a sudden the screen just goes blank

sometimes it looks totally black, other times as if the back-light is off

any ideas?

Thanks

Guest Coppernob

I'm having the same problem - suddenly the screen just goes black - and yes, i have just done a hard reset... Any one else with the same problem?

Guest dgcorp

Not sure if this is related at all but...

I have what is almost certainly a hardware fault with my Orange SPV E650 whereby the backlight seems to turn off when pressing certain keys and the screen image corrupts (goes a funny half-monotone colour).

It's been quite intermittent, even getting better for a while before getting worse again, but it makes the phone extremely hard to use.

I've notified Orange by email and they have told me to call 150. I would do except that I'm working in Denmark at the moment and won't be back in the UK until October :)

I'll hopefully be able to get my phone replaced as soon as I'm back in the UK.

If you think you have hardware faults it is probably worth contacting your suppliers to see if you can get replacements!

Cheers, DEZ :>

-

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Disabled

i am having the same problem. it seems to only happen when the phone is in my pocket and locked. the phone even sometimes restarts. when i first recieved the phone it was not doing it but it seems have to gotten worse. i on the other hand do not have an orange phone. i have the HTC S710, so it seems to be a fault in the phone itself and not something the provider did to it. i am hoping i can get it replaced cuase its really really annoying.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tstaiano
sounds just like mine, looks like a call to orange!

done a hard reset today and its been the same grrrr...

I've just had the same problem with mine yesterday. The phone seems to be operating (can hear keytones, phone rings, etc.) except the screen is black.

Question...how can I do a hard reset without seeing the screen? I have know idea to find the combination of keystrokes (and since WM6 has that 'reset' option in the 'expert' folder, it does me no good if I can't see how to get to that screen.)

TIA...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pepijn26
My phone is doing strange things!

I can be tying a txt, or just using the phone, all of a sudden the screen just goes blank

sometimes it looks totally black, other times as if the back-light is off

any ideas?

Thanks

I'm having the same problem. Very random, but more often with the keyboard slided out then in. First time I noticed this I was using internet explorer. It looks like the backlight is on though in some situations

I did notice that using the keyboard lock/un-lock feature when the screen went black, it comes back to me in the homescreen with a locked keyboardor or when un-locking the screen, it also comes back again.

Anyone seen this behaviour too?

Guest Pumatex
I'm having the same problem. Very random, but more often with the keyboard slided out then in. First time I noticed this I was using internet explorer. It looks like the backlight is on though in some situations

I did notice that using the keyboard lock/un-lock feature when the screen went black, it comes back to me in the homescreen with a locked keyboardor or when un-locking the screen, it also comes back again.

Anyone seen this behaviour too?

Sounds like mine. But only when I slide the keyboard. I did not try the keylock open/close, but next time I will. Any idea why?

Well my e650 seems to have a similar problem, apart from it's permanently blank. I can turn on the phone but cannot see the screen. It started a couple of nights ago when it randomly went black while using it. Turning it off then on again fixed it for a few minutes but then it went black again. I took the battery out and left it overnight thinking it maybe got slightly wet or something. The next day I tried to turn it on, the Orange splash screen showed and it even showed the OS loaded, with the alarm going off (A pet hate of mine about WM, alarms build up while turned off, sometimes barraging you with 3 or 4 if it's been turned off for a few days.) Anyway, back on track - I dismissed the alarm but then the screen went black. I turned it off and back on again, this time it went black after the splash screen. Again I left it overnight with no battery, and today when I turned it on it doesn't even have the splash screen, it's just stuck on being a blank screen. The phone is still "working" as I can receive calls and such but as you can imagine it's pretty useless without a screen.

I'm going to give it a few days to fix itself (or perhaps someone might know a fix) but after that I will have to phone Orange. Thankfully I have insurance.

EDIT: I just turned it on it's working again! When loading the screen kept switching between being fine, being on but corrupted and being blank, but now it seems to be alright. Hopefully the problem has passed, but I'm not overly optimistic.

Also, Elisha, I am not using anything called Tornado Power Control.

Edited by ewliin

Maybe it's the lcd connector that's becoming loose after a while... I've seen this problem on a few Nokia N95's aswell... I think it's a typical problem with slider phones... It shouldn't be very hard to fix though.

Edited by owziee

• 5 months later...
Guest celsol
I just turned it on it's working again! When loading the screen kept switching between being fine, being on but corrupted and being blank, but now it seems to be alright. Hopefully the problem has passed, but I'm not overly optimistic.

Identical problems, phone works fine but the backlight is extremely temperamental, can work one minute and not the next, do find that it 'blacks out' more often than not right after a call.

Anyone found a solution or know what the problem is?

Guest owziee

Oh damn, now it's started to happen with my HTC S710 aswell... Was browsing with opera mini last night and suddenly the display just went black... Works again after a soft reset though...

Edited by owziee

Guest Fizz_daz

Mine started doing this and I investigated the registry and found for some stupid reason that the timout for the backlight was set to 4 seconds!!!!! change the the entry and it fixed it for a few days and then went two or 3 times... however it's all ok again now... very odd!!!

Guest samsonice

Does/did any of you overclock your phone?

I am almost sure that the problem is your battery which has become defective from too much heat/too fast power drain. Overclocking is one of the sources to make the battery defective. The defect then shows (black screen, freeze, restart) each time the phone is reaching a certain temperature - either through usage of the phone (heavy cpu use makes the phone hotter) or by placing it in a warm place like a pocket close to your body.

Try buying a new battery (or lend one from a friend/collegue) and see if your phone works again.

It would be nice to hear your feedback...

Guest Ţhę Æňęmý

I've been working with phones for quite some time, and I'm pretty sure it's one of two things.

1. Over time, the usually substandard screen connector cable will crack/break or become loose. this will cause an incomplete/distorted picture and/or a blank screen. The most common phones that do this are LG, Samsung, and Motorola.

2. ANY water damage can cause corrosion in the phone's tiny board, causing anything from a slower response all the way to a complete digital death of your phone. Remember, water damage includes high humidity and condensation (i.e. moving your phone from a warm, humid place to a cool, dry place too quickly)

The only way to fix these problems is to take in your phone, unless you really, really know what you're doing and for some odd reason have the spare parts. If you have insurance on your phone, like everyone should, it can get fixed for free or for a usually small deductible.

Well don't get too down about it, at least you didn't buy a 5.0 Motorola Q two days before the new 6.0 Q came out (d*mn it!). Now I have to find a way to break my phone.

Edited by Ţhę Æňęmý

• 4 weeks later...
Guest douglasc_uk

This random screen turn-off (and sometimes screen corruption) started happening to my Orange SPV E650. I called up Orange, who told me that I was outside the 6 month handset warranty and it would cost £70 to have it fixed. Alternatively, I could add Orange Care for £6 per month onto my contract and pay £30 to have it repaired (works out as £70 either way really!).

I had no idea that the warranty for contract handsets was so pathetically short! I suppose it's to try to encourage people to pay for extra insurance each month instead.

I've decided to take neither option, as I'd found the E650 to be rather limited compared to the iPAQ 3970 which I had used for the previous 5 years. Instead of handing over £70 to Orange, I've decided to put it towards purchasing a new Mwg Atom Life instead.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest yorit

I also have this problem. I tried different rom versions, different powersaving settings, different homescreens (i'm desperate). I even heated up the battery (to body temprature) to see if the problems increased (as Samsonice suggested). Nothing worked and still irregular screen outages.

Has someone made any progress in solving this problem?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Niz1
This random screen turn-off (and sometimes screen corruption) started happening to my Orange SPV E650. I called up Orange, who told me that I was outside the 6 month handset warranty and it would cost £70 to have it fixed. Alternatively, I could add Orange Care for £6 per month onto my contract and pay £30 to have it repaired (works out as £70 either way really!).

I had no idea that the warranty for contract handsets was so pathetically short! I suppose it's to try to encourage people to pay for extra insurance each month instead.

I've decided to take neither option, as I'd found the E650 to be rather limited compared to the iPAQ 3970 which I had used for the previous 5 years. Instead of handing over £70 to Orange, I've decided to put it towards purchasing a new Mwg Atom Life instead.

Wait hold on you can get it rapaired by HTC for cheap! This is my story:

I got my E650 last August. Then last November my phone started playing up with the screen blackouts bla bla. So I called Orange and they sent a delivery guy who picked up my old phone and gave me a new one, great cool.

Now about 3 weeks ago my phone started playing up (screen blackouts again) so i called Orange (about a week ago) and they said that I could pay for insurance (per month) to get it fixed or call HTC which they then gave me the number. I was wondering why Orange did not handle it. Anyway i called HTC and asked them why, and they told me that Orange only handles it for the first 6 months and that i might have passed 6 Months, even so they said they would do it and i only had to send it to them. But I called Orange again (yes because i wanted to save on shipping ) and i was apparently a few days after 6 months gone since November.

So yeh i have to call HTC again but i have been busy (lazy) ill probably call them on Tuesday, this screen blackouts are really annoying, they mainly happen why i want to read/write texts/make calls pretty much the major basic functions of a phone. I do get lucky sometimes!

The number for HTC Europe 08458900079 (12p/min to 0845 from Orange handset) <- yeh i checked lol im cheap!

Edited by Niz1

• 3 months later...
Guest maserras

I am having the same problem. Please can you tell me where the problem is and the possibles solutions.

Thanks

miguel

[email protected]

Identical problems, phone works fine but the backlight is extremely temperamental, can work one minute and not the next, do find that it 'blacks out' more often than not right after a call.

Anyone found a solution or know what the problem is?

• 1 month later...
Guest djsioukas

I have the same problem. It started all of sudden and I really can't find any one reason that causes it. The screen (actually I think it is only the backlight sometimes) just turns off and back on again some time later. I did also notice that the green light by the earpiece now flashes green and then orange, which indicates a low battery...I think. However, the battery is fully charged and the battery status indicator also shows fully charged. I just did a fully reset back to factory and all of the same issues are present...including the green / orange flashing light. I am not using tornado. I was thinking maybe it does have something to do with the battery, but it just happened again with the phone plugged in and charging. I am out of ideas.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest djsioukas

I think I figured it out. It seems to be the battery, which fits with the fact that light by the earpiece was flashing "green" then "amber". I borrowed a battery from a friends S710, swapped it into my phone, and I have not had the problem since. Just as a point of information, my brother's S710 had the infinite boot loop problem where the phone would constantly restart. HTC recommended a new battery and sure enough, it solved his problem as well. I would have never thought that the battery would cause those problems.