Exclusive: nedge Previews... the Asus P750

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest Numetheus

Without a full qwerty keyboard, this thing really isnt a Tilt killer, and never will be. It is merely a different device to choose from, based on personal preference. I for one, would NEVER get one, because lack of a full keyboard is a HUGE turn off and highly unusable for anyone in a professional environment requiring lots of email correspondence.

I will say the specs are awesome! The device however, as a whole, sucks. Completely USELESS without a full keyboard. (for my device and work requirements)

Guest Numetheus
I use my device primarily to reply to emails on the road so for me QWERTY is essential.

So near to my perfect device now - just add a sliding QWERTY to this or GPS and WM6 Pro to the Wings and we're there.

When this was first rumoured earlier in the summer, Sirf III was touted for the GPS hardware, can you confirm this is the case?

Ya. There is absolutely no way this is a Tilt killer. No keyboard will be a decision killer for anyone that requires lots of email and other messaging correspondence. For me, I don't care if this has a 1 ghz processor, and 20 terrabytes of memory. That is not going to help me get pissed off at it when I realize I get frustrated because I have to send hundreds of email, and each are written slow as snot because of no qwerty.

Tilt killer? No way.

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Jeez....don't sit on the fence, tell us what you really think!

If you NEED a QWERTY keypad then no, this device is probably not for you. If, however, you have no real need of a QWERTY keypad and prefer to be able to use a device with one hand then this beats the Kaiser hands down. That's my opinion, I'm entitled to it etc. etc.

Guest samy.3660

Alex what do you say about performance, does it ever lag because of less memory. And battery life, how is it, does it run for a day.

I would really love this device if it only had the 128mb RAM.

Guest b-stevens
I use my device primarily to reply to emails on the road so for me QWERTY is essential.

So near to my perfect device now - just add a sliding QWERTY to this or GPS and WM6 Pro to the Wings and we're there.

When this was first rumoured earlier in the summer, Sirf III was touted for the GPS hardware, can you confirm this is the case?

There was a review posted somewhere where it mentioned that since the Wings has the same processor as the Kaiser, it does indeed have GPS capability, its just whether or not you'll easily be able to activate it.

Guest mikeeey
To be honest, I don't think it needs 128MB RAM, it's plenty fast with 64MB. There's battery life info on the previous page.

haha i have not once ever said that about a device. i will never speak of it being ok with less, but talk about how much better it could be with more. but who knows, the kaiser at first said to have 64mb of ram, and some early versions actualy did have that much, then it was upgraded later, i guess wel see what happens.

when roughly do you think this will be available then?

end of October or end of November time?.......ive noticed its now showing on expansys but not announced.

Guest Joshivivek
I really fear for 64MB RAM devices, every 64MB RAM device i've ever had has suffered with out of memory errors.

P

64MB ram wow

they are better off not even getting this unit into production, just kill it now, why bother.

Alex, hello,

Nice of you to bring some good news, i can't wait to see this device on the market. But a few questions until then :( ) So, since you have been given a pre-production model, you must have some Asus "strings" to pull ;) Do you know if this device is going to have 128MB RAM? That would make a huge marketing pro. I would also like to ask you about the touchscreen. I currently own an Asus P535, and some times i have to push the stylus a bit hard to get a response. Especially when i have to drag the stylus across the screen ( e.g. scrooling a map with iGO or a picture, but otherwise works fine while tap-ing ) Appart from this, i'm more than happy with the 535, but i'm curious if they got this sorted.

I do want UMTS, and gps as well, and + the keyboard for fast texing.. so the 750 sounds like a dream PPC...If only they'll add 128 RAM

Edited by Octave

Guest mortenandersen
hmm how can this be a kaiser killer when it has no qwerty keyboard??

I certainly agree: The main point of Kaiser is the qwerty keyboard and the tiltable screen. How on earth can Asus P750 be called a Kaiser killer if it lacks these features?!

The Asus P750 may be fine, but cannot reasonably be compared to Kaiser.

I certainly agree: The main point of Kaiser is the qwerty keyboard and the tiltable screen. How on earth can Asus P750 be called a Kaiser killer if it lacks these features?!

The Asus P750 may be fine, but cannot reasonably be compared to Kaiser.

I think this point has been made to death at this stage. Whether its a Kaiser killer or not is subjective. Tilt and QWERTY may be the main attractions of the Kaiser for you. 3G, GPS and good processor may be the main attraction for me.

Lets all either agree, or agree to disagree ;)

Guest mortenandersen
I think this point has been made to death at this stage. Whether its a Kaiser killer or not is subjective. Tilt and QWERTY may be the main attractions of the Kaiser for you. 3G, GPS and good processor may be the main attraction for me.

Lets all either agree, or agree to disagree ;)

OK, this is really not a big issue. But I think that 3G, GPS and "good processor" are features that Kaiser and Asus P750 share with quite a number of other phones. So what's really makes Kaiser special are the two features that I pointed out: qwerty keyboard (hardware-wise) and the tilting possibility of the screen. Comparison between Kaiser and Nokia E90 is in my opinion therefore much more natural.

Edited by mortenandersen

I don't see the big difference between a QWERTY keyboard and a phone style keyboard. What matters is that both the 750 and the Kaiser have hardware based keyboards. I personally like the 750 keyboard because it can be used with a single hand and without having to look at the phone ( so you can text and walk at the same time ). And + the Kaiser slide mechanism is just another thing that can get broken. And really i can text faster with a phone style keypad and without T9. i know exactly what key to press and how many times, without having to look at the screen or keypad.

Any info on that RAM? 128 or 64 ?

Guest mortenandersen
I don't see the big difference between a QWERTY keyboard and a phone style keyboard. What matters is that both the 750 and the Kaiser have hardware based keyboards. I personally like the 750 keyboard because it can be used with a single hand and without having to look at the phone ( so you can text and walk at the same time ). And + the Kaiser slide mechanism is just another thing that can get broken. And really i can text faster with a phone style keypad and without T9. i know exactly what key to press and how many times, without having to look at the screen or keypad.

Any info on that RAM? 128 or 64 ?

Octave, the two last sentences in the main paragraph of your post put you, in my mind, in a very admirable position: Such a skill is valuable! Personally, I perfer the hardware qwerty keyboard (although I have been beaten by some people who writes faster than me using T9!). For me, a qwerty keyboard and tilted screen (wide enough) give me more of the needed "total view" of the document. But, of course, this is a matter of personal preferances.

I really hope there will be more devices like the Kaiser, for instance in the Ultimate (i-Mate) series or HTC OMNI, that may come to the market during the winter.

Further, I also would like to have a regular phone keypad (numbers) on the front, and not only on the screen. The Nokia E90 could be such a device, but in my experience the keyboard has been far too crampy and small and the keys give very bad tactile feedback, among all the other problems with the E90.

Edited by mortenandersen

I really fear for 64MB RAM devices, every 64MB RAM device i've ever had has suffered with out of memory errors.

P

You must be running different devices to me then. I can't remember the last time I got such an error. But then I do reset every couple of days to keep things tidy.

Quick question, I have the Vario II which has an on screen keyboard which you can use to enter text.

Would this have the same?

Yes it will, all PPC have this method of text entry at a minimum.

hth

gr

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.