Why I won't be buying the Kaiser ...

Guest Subliminal Aura

Guest Subliminal Aura

Firstly judge for yourself if you'd be happy with the performance usage as shown on this review...

Its 17mins long but well worth watching as you get to see some of the software in action eg skype, tottom etc... What I did find interesting is the light load test he did towards the end of the video.

Secondly

Screen Size ? What the hell is going on here have we taken a step backwards with technology ?

This device uses a 2.8" screen... Using tomtom with a 3.5"(min) screen is a gorgeous and a fulfilling experience(I love being able to see the road ahead via my PDA!). Let me put it this way would you prefer a 40" plasma or a 32" one ?

Thirdly

Keyboard. This is supposedly a big selling point for me but I had a close look at it and was shocked to find that it doesn't even have the $ sign ! Can it be reprogrammed ?

On the plus side its a great toy that will keep me amused for a few hours but after that its back to the drawing board in terms of finding new ways to support and port myself over to the quirks of the new device.

//edit for those interested I think I'm going to wait out for the HTC 65(5|0)0 or maybe an updated touch dual

Edited by Subliminal Aura

Guest nlhall
Firstly judge for yourself if you'd be happy with the performance usage as shown on this review...

Its 17mins long but well worth watching as you get to see some of the software in action eg skype, tottom etc... What I did find interesting is the light load test he did towards the end of the video.

Secondly

Screen Size ? What the hell is going on here have we taken a step backwards with technology ?

This device uses a 2.8" screen... Using tomtom with a 3.5"(min) screen is a gorgeous and a fulfilling experience(I love being able to see the road ahead via my PDA!). Let me put it this way would you prefer a 40" plasma or a 32" one ?

Thirdly

Keyboard. This is supposedly a big selling point for me but I had a close look at it and was shocked to find that it doesn't even have the $ sign ! Can it be reprogrammed ?

On the plus side its a great toy that will keep me amused for a few hours but after that its back to the drawing board in terms of finding new ways to support and port myself over to the quirks of the new device.

Well I see your point, but a 40" Plasma would be way to big for my room, size isnt everything, the screen size is a good trade off over the overall size of the device.

as for the keyboard, well, $ sign! there are a lot more currencies in the world that the USD, or are you just jealous as there is a pound sign... I know there isn't a real pound sign (£), but there is a hash sign (#) but them over there in the US for some reason refer to this as a "pound sign".

To be straight though, the easiest way to get any/most currency signs is to pres the Fn + Sys or bring up the on screen keyboard and click the 123 key.

Guest Subliminal Aura
the screen size is a good trade off over the overall size of the device.

I can just about re-program a new desination (full address and postcode) whilst driving with a 3.5" screen. There is no way I could do that with a 2.8"screen.

To be straight though, the easiest way to get any/most currency signs is to pres the Fn + Sys or bring up the on screen keyboard and click the 123 key.

Well the $ key is vital if you're a programmer nerd or someone who needs to SSH into your servers on a daily basis to fix 'stuff'

Guest Webreaper

LOL. What a silly post. If you're not buying one, why post here? And such trivial reasons?

Performance - I run tomtom, PIE, mail, mortplayer and other apps, and haven't noticed any performance issues. Sure, it's not a quad-core 2.5GHZ, but it's a phone in my pocket so I don't expect it to be. Want a super computer in your pocket? Buy an Amio or get a subnotebook.

Larger screens are fine, but they bring larger form-factors.

And the keyboard thing is just daft - you can install all sorts of keymappers etc., and it's easy to get the $ symbol from the onscreen keyboard.

Guest nlhall
Well the $ key is vital if you're a programmer nerd or someone who needs to SSH into your servers on a daily basis to fix 'stuff'

Fair point, just been playing and found if you hit the Fn key then Sys (Tab key) it brings up the Symbol Pad, if you then select $ it remembers what you selected, next time you need it you just press Fn, Sys, Return. ok its one more key press than on my old Wizard, but its not all bad.

Guest FloatingFatMan
I can just about re-program a new desination (full address and postcode) whilst driving with a 3.5" screen. There is no way I could do that with a 2.8"screen.

Most definitely NOT something you should even be thinking of doing whilst driving, on ANY size screen!

Secondly

Thirdly

//edit for those interested I think I'm going to wait out for the HTC 65(5|0)0 or maybe an updated touch dual

Amazingly Dave's you tube video and corresponding review over at mobility today prompted me to buy a Tilt yesterday. Dave also indicates that it's the fastest Smartphone Device he's tested, and one of the few usable with Skype. I'm surprised your read was the opposite.

As to screen size, I migrated from an IPAQ 3630 (I mention this as it's in your device list) to an HP IPAQ 6515 3 or more years ago - so I went down to 2.25 inch square screen. It was very usable, although incompatible with some older PocketPC apps. The tilt will be a step up for me in screen size. Perhaps you're not factoring in the increase in screen resolution compared to the old Compaq IPAQs? It's not a 32" to 40" plasma, more like 32" plasma to 40" NTSC. No way I'd go back to a 3630, even my kids won't use that hand me down anymore. I can certainly understand why you're looking around for a replacement, quite the pocket brick.

I know you must be used to on screen keyboards, as that's all the 3630 offers, apart from external keyboards. Certainly external keyboards will come available for the Kaiser, although again Dave indicated it's one of the most comfortable keyboards he's used on a Smartphone device.

I certainly don't regret my 6515 purchase. I bought it before the US release date, and have had many years of service from it. It also had the good grace to die (actually I accidentally killed it) right at the US release date for the AT&T Tilt, which I should receive tomorrow. Guess my long winded point is that there always seems to be a 'perfect' device just around the corner, but this shouldn't stop one from enjoying the best that's around today.

Edited by Jim_R

Guest Swampie

Well, that would be in breach of the user license then of TomTom which states at first startup that you agree to never adjust or touch the device whilst the vehicle is in motion... ;)

Guest Webreaper

Yuk. Can't find exact dimensions to do a sizeasy.com against the Kaiser, but if that screen is 3.5", then the device itself must be about 5-6" tall, and 4" or more wide. Which means the HTC 6500 will be approximately twice the size of the Kaiser. So not pocketable, ridiculous to use as a phone, and only slightly smaller than the HTC Shift. So a massive compromise on form-factor vs functionality.

The touch dual looks nice, but I don't really understand where you're coming from; you slate the Kaiser for not having a $ symbol on its QWERTY keyboard, and then suggest you're going to buy a 6500 (no keyboard at all) or a Touch Dual (keypad-style keyboard) - neither of which have a $ key on their keyboard?!?! ;)

...Thirdly

Keyboard. This is supposedly a big selling point for me but I had a close look at it and was shocked to find that it doesn't even have the $ sign !...

Just got my AT&T Tilt, it has the $ over the tab key. Now you're down to 'firstly' and 'secondly'. ;)

Guest ravage

Have you ever tried to fit a TomTom device in your pocket?

You got to remember this is a phone at the end of the day. You carry it around with you all the time. Anything larger just would be too big. Look at the Iphone, that screen is boarderline on size for one's pocket.

Also for TomTom on the Kaiser, you can use the keyboard for entry remember, you don't have to use the touch screen. This makes life a little easier.

Guest Webreaper
Have you ever tried to fit a TomTom device in your pocket?

You got to remember this is a phone at the end of the day. You carry it around with you all the time. Anything larger just would be too big. Look at the Iphone, that screen is boarderline on size for one's pocket.

Also for TomTom on the Kaiser, you can use the keyboard for entry remember, you don't have to use the touch screen. This makes life a little easier.

...although actually, in the car I find the touchscreen easier to use.

And the screen is perfectly large enough for navigating with TT6. If you can't see well enough on a 2.8" screen, you probably shouldn't be behind the wheel. ;)

troll? is this a serious post? ill humour it...

1. the unit ranks up there in terms of speed - considering its a new operating system on a new chipet its does pretty well, as im sure the o/s hasnt yet been optimised for the hardware its running on.

2. larger screen = larger device - guess you have big pockets or poor eyesight.

3. sigh

Edited by fusi

Guest Nuke NiNe

If you're a programmer, program a small app that gives you $ on the keyboard.

This post is nonsense, if you don't like it you're in the wrong forum.

Guest Swampie
If you're a programmer, program a small app that gives you $ on the keyboard.

This post is nonsense, if you don't like it you're in the wrong forum.

lol - that's one big assumption you're making there.

For example, being a Perl developer (I think that makes lots of use of $ char), or someone who SSH to a Linux box, does not make a Windows Mobile PDA app developer (nor gives you the tools and dev software to do it - note that the free editions of VS2005 do not include support for developing WM apps).

Guest Nuke NiNe
Wait, i'm a developer and SSH a lot, and don't use $. What am I missing? :wub:

P

Maybe ur not using ur TyTN to invoice? ;)

Honestly, I like the funny discussion that this turned into. But would anyone actually 'program' on a TyTN?

Edited by Nuke NiNe

Guest Subliminal Aura

Jeeeezzzus guys - I aint trolling it was a serious post.

The TYTN II is an 'OK' phone but will have its faults and as you've all now gathered it will be with me early next week not because I need the features but I really need an updated PDA.

The price I got it for as an upgrade makes it cheaper than buying a PDA ;)

Wait, i'm a developer and SSH a lot, and don't use $. What am I missing? :D

P

You're not a vi man I take it :( plus ^ and $ are vital if you know your bash shell.

@others : Yes $ is used a lot in coding.

Edited by Subliminal Aura

Lol - "you wouldn't program on a phone"

I get the impression Sub uses his phone like I do - to get to a web server when it plays up, he is out somewhere and customers/support are screaming at him to get back to the office and fix it. Of so it's the web server scripts that get programmed via Terminal Services or similar, not the phone and it's usually going to be a patch of a few lines rather than a complete program. i.e. the phone is usually just a a gateway.

Guest Subliminal Aura
Lol - "you wouldn't program on a phone"

I get the impression Sub uses his phone like I do - to get to a web server when it plays up, he is out somewhere and customers/support are screaming at him to get back to the office and fix it. Of so it's the web server scripts that get programmed via Terminal Services or similar, not the phone and it's usually going to be a patch of a few lines rather than a complete program. i.e. the phone is usually just a a gateway.

True true but who remembers the perl port for wince years back - yes it was teadious but with todays uber processor and the 'that' keyboard surely I see no issues in syncing up an eclipse workspace and coding up on the move - esspecially if all you are doing is refactoring code.

Once back at base you resync your workspaces and let a SVN/CVS sync do all the hard work of checking your changes.

Guest Subliminal Aura

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhh

Been playing with my orange Kaiser for an hour now and it is RUBBISH.

My 3630 was and still is the fastest and most responsive PDA I've ever owned - and I've owned a fair few.

Why is this thing so bloooming slow ? Is it the orange rom ?

OK Think I have seen the problem : Task manager reports no tasks running whereas memory manager shows them ! Quick kill and things start to run smoothly but again not as smooth is my cherished 3630.

These things are getting slower and slower to boot up also.

I am dreading to see how slow tomtom works on this thing - I guess I can still try tomtom 3 to speed things up ;)

Overall : 7/10 (which is pretty good coming from me)

Guest Rush242
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhh

Been playing with my orange Kaiser for an hour now and it is RUBBISH.

>snip<

Overall : 7/10 (which is pretty good coming from me)

"Ladies and gentlemen, I've been to Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq, and I can say without hyperbole that this is a million times worse than all of them put together." --Kent Brockman

• 2 weeks later...
> My 3630 was and still is the fastest and most responsive PDA I've ever owned - and I've owned a fair few.

Why is this thing so bloooming slow ? Is it the orange rom ?

Definitely agree on the slowness. I've come from a trusty Orange M500 (Magician running WM2003) and it feels at least 50% faster than this thing (Orange ROM). Gonna do some TCPMP benchies tonight to see. Really, are people just insensitive to slow devices? I read and watched a whole bunch of reviews on this thing and hardly anyone commented on the lack of speed.

James