The "I've got my Orange P4550 TYTN II Thread"

Guest m3100tony

Guest m3100tony

Well almost, my order has been dispatched and I can track it via parcel line. Only problem is, thought I would save some time by letting them deliver my 2 TYTN IIs to work.... only problem is, I was so enthusiasitc, forgot I work at a different site on Friday mornings ;) Hope they look after it!

Guest m3100tony
Eeeek! ;)

Woo hoo... after my parcel line tracking said "Delivery Address Not Found".... I found the local depot using (the excellent) saynoto0870.com website... told them... how exactly can you not find one of the largest teaching hospitals in the world :( ... follow the red Accident & Emergency signs :D ".... may 2 kaisers have arrived.... cant wait to open them!

Guest puiumeu

Got mine yesterday! Dam orange customisation and cannot find Internet Phone yet. Really busy with work so no time to play yet.... The nav keys are loose also so may need to go back after I have had more time to play....

Guest jimbouk

Just picked mine up from the shop... and I like it!

1) Its smaller than the Hermes

2) Its faster than WM6 Black Majik rom I have on the hermes

3) The keyboard feels a lot better

4) It weighs more though!

5) The autofocus 3mp camera is very good!

Edited by jimbouk

Guest m3100tony
Just picked mine up from the shop... and I like it!

1) Its smaller than the Hermes

2) Its faster than WM6 Black Majik rom I have on the hermes

3) The keyboard feels a lot better

4) It weighs more though!

5) The autofocus 3mp camera is very good!

ditto to all the above. Cant wait to get rid of some of the orange stuff though. GPS worked out of the box with Windows Live Search and Google and it seems very good. As for DATA... 1000kbps out of the box with a good HSPDA signal. As for the radio, seems better than the Hermes with WM6 and the radio that came with that. The room that I sit in at work (surrounded by lead) doesnt have coverage for O, T2 or O2... but the first time ever I get 1 bar of 3G signal.

First impression very nice.

Guest m3100tony
Just a shame that you'll have crappy data tariffs on Orange. ;)

I get 1Gb fair use (which I have gone over with no penalty) for £8/month.

I did toy going to t-mobile, and in fact got a PAYG SIM to try it out. I tried it in 2g, 3g and HSPDA areas and Orange consistently gave me faster data, with HSPDA over twice as fast (in Leeds and Manchester).

Also Orange, for my £8/month, let me hook up to a PC or MAC via bluetooth (which I could do with T-mobile, but I should pay extra) and also let me Video Skype - I could not get this to work with T-mobile - they had blocked the ports - presumably so they can extort more money for VOIP.

So actually, I'm pretty happy to stay with Orange for data. It is much cheaper (like for like) than T-mobile, it is much faster and the coverage is better as well. :(

(Oh and as for the tarrifs and insurance, that was much cheaper on Orange too - 12 month contract, free insurance that is better than T insurance, 1200 mins, free broadband, 200 text - all for 35/month). So when you are all in your 18 month T contracts, I will be getting my 3G iPhone next christmas!)

Guest RichardK

Just got mine and not too impressed. Why must networks play with the rom.

1. Stupid stupid orange today rubbish

2. No live messenger

3. NO htc today

4. no remote desktop application

5. No voip

With points 2 4 and 5 --- i am paying (through the nose ) for data and i should be allowed to do what i like on my device.

I know i can download (although illegally) the software missing why should i

Phone looks nice though although my nav buttons have abit of play in them. Now do i get the nerve to update the rom to htc one?

Just my view

Richard

Guest RichardK

2. No live messenger

3. NO htc today

5. No voip

With points 2 4 and 5 --- i am paying (through the nose ) for data and i should be allowed to do what i like on my device.

Phone looks nice though although my nav buttons have abit of play in them. Now do i get the nerve to update the rom to htc one?

Just my view

Richard

One more point - The traffictv crap will UNLESS you tell it not too will be charged at £4 per month automatically. I think i am saying bye bye orange tytn 2

Guest jimbouk
Just a shame that you'll have crappy data tariffs on Orange. ;)

other than my OWU 1gb that Orange confirmed will remain on my account for £8 per month... I suppose you are right... lol

ditto to all the above. Cant wait to get rid of some of the orange stuff though. GPS worked out of the box with Windows Live Search and Google and it seems very good. As for DATA... 1000kbps out of the box with a good HSPDA signal. As for the radio, seems better than the Hermes with WM6 and the radio that came with that. The room that I sit in at work (surrounded by lead) doesnt have coverage for O, T2 or O2... but the first time ever I get 1 bar of 3G signal.

First impression very nice.

Am waiting for the sim to be activated before really playing - but its good.

2. No live messenger

3. NO htc today

5. No voip

Just my view

Richard

Really easy to install all of those - XDa dev's kaiser area has lots of them in one handy thread called kaiser cabs and Paul has a Kaiser must have software thread here too.

Guest rickyburke

1gb just isnt enough though, i use that in a week i reckon.

I was on the £5 1gb that was introduced when Orange introduced their 3G service, as i never changed phone or talk plan i retained it up until last month when i left Orange.

I find customer services, signal and 3G speed all vastly superior on T-Mobile to be honest.

The best part of the T data tariffs is that if you go over the allowance, you get informed.

On Orange you get charged something stupid like £1.50 per MB.

They are in the dark ages, I'm just glad I've seen the light.

Mine just arrived, the unboxing was nice, I like the HTC design of the inside box. On charge and being activated as we speak. In all honesty it does look 100 times better than the Vario III. Just a pitty about the Orange homescreen etc and lack of software as mentioned above.

Guest jimbouk
1gb just isnt enough though, i use that in a week i reckon.

I was on the £5 1gb that was introduced when Orange introduced their 3G service, as i never changed phone or talk plan i retained it up until last month when i left Orange.

I find customer services, signal and 3G speed all vastly superior on T-Mobile to be honest.

The best part of the T data tariffs is that if you go over the allowance, you get informed.

On Orange you get charged something stupid like £1.50 per MB.

They are in the dark ages, I'm just glad I've seen the light.

Other people have posted on here that they have gone over the 1gb with O and not been charged anything...

Guest Mr.Clark
In all honesty it does look 100 times better than the Vario III.

It must be a thing of pure beauty then, as my Vario III is very good looking indeed. Maybe I'm just happy with the girl next door when you'd rather go for a supermodel... ;)

Guest bomberh

OK you lucky lot where and jow did you get them??? Every Orange shop around here (Hitchin) doesn't have them. I was told only the top 100 stores have them and that the nearest (Watford) doesn't have them..GRRRRRR ;)

Have a nice day now...

It must be a thing of pure beauty then, as my Vario III is very good looking indeed. Maybe I'm just happy with the girl next door when you'd rather go for a supermodel... :(

It is true that the photos of the VIII just don't do it justice, it's pretty good looking when it's in your hand ;)

Not as sexy as the Touch though :D

Guest Subliminal Aura
OK you lucky lot where and jow did you get them??? Every Orange shop around here (Hitchin) doesn't have them. I was told only the top 100 stores have them and that the nearest (Watford) doesn't have them..GRRRRRR ;)

Have a nice day now...

Just rang up orange who said there is 1 in stock.... Unfortunately it seems to have now gone :( *wink* *wink*

Soooooooooooooo I'll be getting this piece of junk sometime next week. I better start coding an app to exploit the WAP AP so that I can get full tcp/ip access to the internet for free :D

Guest Subliminal Aura

To those who have got this on orange or as part of an Orange upgrade can you confirm if it was bundled with a stick of microSD ?

Cheers

Guest m3100tony
To those who have got this on orange or as part of an Orange upgrade can you confirm if it was bundled with a stick of microSD ?

Cheers

No micro sd card that I have seen