sounds/notifications via speaker with USB headset on?

Guest research12

Guest research12

when the USB headset is connected, I can't hear the notifications for incoming emails/SMS, etc. anymore on the phone's speaker. only via the headset. as nobody wears the headset all the time, this is pretty nonsense. any tweaks there?

Guest research12

of course, there are. it is not such a problem, software wise to make a difference between reminders and playback music, etc. you hear the ringing tone when the USB headset is connected, right? so why not the reminders? don't think, this is a stupid question, all nokia devices perfectly work this way.

Guest Swampie
of course, there are. it is not such a problem, software wise to make a difference between reminders and playback music, etc. you hear the ringing tone when the USB headset is connected, right? so why not the reminders? don't think, this is a stupid question, all nokia devices perfectly work this way.

Seems a bit stupid to have audio coming out the speakers whilst in headset mode. For example, if I'm using my laptop somewhere which requires me to be silent, I use headphones or put the audio into mute. I don't then expect Skype to override this and put the audio, ringer or anything out on the speakers. Similarly I don't expect Outlook reminders to popup and play the noise through the main speakers.

In the exact same way, I would expect and hope that when using a headset, no audio comes out the main speakers. If you're not using the headset, unplug it.

I do remember once with my old SPV C500 that even when using the headset, the Media Player sound came out the main speaker. Pretty embarrassing doing this on a tube full of people with my trying to work out why it was so quiet on my headphones. From that point on, I've had the opinion that, just like with laptops and practically ever other piece of electronic audio equipment where inserting a headset physically and electrically disconnects the main speakers, that the same should be done on mobiles - meaning the audio only comes through the headset and is impossible to get it going through the external speaker with a headset connected.

Guest research12
Seems a bit stupid to have audio coming out the speakers whilst in headset mode. For example, if I'm using my laptop somewhere which requires me to be silent, I use headphones or put the audio into mute. I don't then expect Skype to override this and put the audio, ringer or anything out on the speakers. Similarly I don't expect Outlook reminders to popup and play the noise through the main speakers.

In the exact same way, I would expect and hope that when using a headset, no audio comes out the main speakers. If you're not using the headset, unplug it.

I do remember once with my old SPV C500 that even when using the headset, the Media Player sound came out the main speaker. Pretty embarrassing doing this on a tube full of people with my trying to work out why it was so quiet on my headphones. From that point on, I've had the opinion that, just like with laptops and practically ever other piece of electronic audio equipment where inserting a headset physically and electrically disconnects the main speakers, that the same should be done on mobiles - meaning the audio only comes through the headset and is impossible to get it going through the external speaker with a headset connected.

sorry, but this is total nonsense. I do not expect to get sounds like playing music out of the speakers, but I do for the phone linked noises like ringing and sms notification. If I carry my phone in the pocket and I have my hedset connected, because I want to use the once a phone call gets in, I still want to hear the phone noises. There are differences between phone alarms and music playing. The one is phone/radio linked (not available on pocket pc and normal laptops but on Pocket pc phones only) the others are device linked. There are also two different loudness sliders (one for phone one for device) and again: every othe phone I know (nokia, samsung, etc.) is able to make a difference here. so it is definitely something to think about. a phone is not a PC, so your comparison is not very accurate. If you don't want to hear any noises on phones, you put it on silent mode! but if I have my headset connected, I still want to hear the phone alarms.

Guest Swampie

Does the ringer/alerts play through the headset?

if so, then there's absolutely no need for external speaker to repeat it. if not then I would suggest that it should. if you have a headset connected all audio should go out the headset. if it's not connected then all audio comes out the speaker.

again, headsets are used when you don't want everyone to hear the sound - eg a library/train etc.

remember, wasn't it Ken Livingstone who banned (or at least suggested/tried banning) all noise generating equipment from being used on london buses etc without a headset etc. if you phone will still play ringtones and alerts whilst using headphones then that is a seriously annoying and limiting problem.

Guest research12
Does the ringer/alerts play through the headset?

if so, then there's absolutely no need for external speaker to repeat it. if not then I would suggest that it should. if you have a headset connected all audio should go out the headset. if it's not connected then all audio comes out the speaker.

again, headsets are used when you don't want everyone to hear the sound - eg a library/train etc.

remember, wasn't it Ken Livingstone who banned (or at least suggested/tried banning) all noise generating equipment from being used on london buses etc without a headset etc. if you phone will still play ringtones and alerts whilst using headphones then that is a seriously annoying and limiting problem.

of course it plays ringtones. what are you talking about? ever used a headset?

Guest Swampie
of course it plays ringtones. what are you talking about? ever used a headset?

yes I've used a headset but not to make/receive calls since WM2003SE on my SPV C500. so I don't have first hand experience of knowing whether the ringers etc go through the headset.

the reason I asked is it sounded from your complaint as if they they didn't.

As they do play through the headset fine then I cannot see the problem. when you're using the headset you'll hear everything and when you don't just unplug it and everything will work as before. you seem to be complaining that you're forgetting to unplug when you're finished using the headset.

anyway, I just checked on a Nokia we have here. plugging in the headset switches it to headset mode and disables the external ringer.

Guest research12
yes I've used a headset but not to make/receive calls since WM2003SE on my SPV C500. so I don't have first hand experience of knowing whether the ringers etc go through the headset.

the reason I asked is it sounded from your complaint as if they they didn't.

As they do play through the headset fine then I cannot see the problem. when you're using the headset you'll hear everything and when you don't just unplug it and everything will work as before. you seem to be complaining that you're forgetting to unplug when you're finished using the headset.

anyway, I just checked on a Nokia we have here. plugging in the headset switches it to headset mode and disables the external ringer.

sorry to say, but this is absolutely not true!! even the Kaiser is ringing via the speaker when a headset is connected. My complaint was about the alerts not being audible over the speaker and NOT the ringing tone. with all 5 Nokia devices, I checked (E90, E 61, N95, 6310i and 9300) it is standard that you hear the voice of a call only over the headphone and the alerts on the speakers. It is typical Microsoft crap that Windows Mobile has no feature to enable this. It is theory that you unplug your headset all the time, when you are using it mainly for calls. If you have to do so, you will throw your device out of the window after 2 days of frustration, promised.

And by the way: If your theories would be correct then you would not hear any alerts when connected with a bluetooth headset, which you are certainly not wearing the whole time, do you? but with bluetooth. Microsoft enabled all the features I am asking for as well fort the USB headset. you put on the headset when a call comes in and put it off again when it is finished. then the device lies on your table or somewhere else and you don't hear when a SMS is coming in. GREAT!!

• 11 years later...
Guest Rossami

To all you folks saying that you can't imagine wanting things to come through both a headset and the speakers, I ask if you've ever tried wearing a headset for 12 hours a day.  Unless you're willing to pay way more for a top-end headset than I can afford, it hurts.  Especially if you wear glasses and the headset presses against the arms.  The pain starts at about hour 3.

What real people do then is to take the headset off.  But I still need it connected to the computer so that I can quickly answer a call when one comes in.

If the ringtones and other notifications only play through the headset (that I'm not wearing right now), then the call gets missed.  Wearing the headset just to hear the ring defeats the purpose of taking the headset off to let my ears recover.  So, yeah, an option to have notifications ring through differently than all other sounds makes a lot of sense still.