Samsung Blackjack II GPS... ACTIVATED!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest mike665
that error did pop up on my Blackjack but I didnt think it was related. My data connection ended...but started right back up again. Only happened once during a restart.

I have tried it 4 times so far... As soon as I restart it I can't seem to connect. Once I uninstall and restart, everything is back to normal.

Guest Paul (MVP)
Still nothing.

However this thing is supposed to app unlock the phone as well right?

What's Policy#1005 supposed to be 16 or 40?

Mine is 40

but I pulled the file that was installed and opened it up in notepad. This is copied and pasted straight from it:

"HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies" cfgnodetype="characteristic">

so which one should it be 40 or 16?

The app unlock sets it to 40, but it's purely for convenience and in no way related to the GPS functionality.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
I tried this on my Q9h and as soon as I reset the phone, I am no longer able to make a data connection.

I get the error message "The remote party has ended this connection"...

Once I reset the phone, the I am able to make a connection again. Anyone else have this issue?

Unforunately I don't have a Q9H to test, although I plan to get one ;)

If someone else can validate this behaviour on their unit too, perhaps we can work through looking for a solution. Perhaps COM4 is in use already, or there is a different clash of some description.

P

Guest pbarick167

I am in the same boat. the app loaded ok, and then i selected com4 within mapopolis, which is the program i use, then nothing. Paul, if you know what's up, the promise of this working is poerful!

PB

Guest pbarick167

Sorry for being dense, but I dont understand where in google maps i can set the com port or the baud rate? there are no options that i can find for them from within the program.

thanks to those more expert than me for the help.

PB

Guest nickcornaglia

GoogleMaps Settings....

Menu>Options>MyLocationSettings

The two box fields there the COM seltions and Baud Selection.

They dont have labels on those fields to tell you what they are...don't know why.

(FWIW...It took me a few looks to before I realized where those fields were...so youre not alone.)

Guest Jnowak1981
The app unlock sets it to 40, but it's purely for convenience and in no way related to the GPS functionality.

P

yah i know but the must be a reason why the filed installed by the cab says 16 on mine and 40 on other people's file. my reg edit says that policy 1005 is 40 but that's simply because i app unlocked the phone before.

what im trying to say is that the modaco file ran into some issues on my device as that tmp file is different han other people's file.

so far thats the only difference i notced.

when i get home later tonight ill post the full content of the file for comparison.

Guest DevTodd

Hey all-- new here but wanted to share my experience and see if anyone had any tips.

I too could not get the GPS working on the Blackjack II until using Paul's GPS activator HOWEVER, just as soon as I had it working, it stopped again.

Summary:

- Tried everything to get the GPS working with no results

- Installed the GPS Activator

- GPS worked immediatly with no restart or changing of ports. Got great reception indoors.

- 2 hours later, tried GPS againa and couldn't do anything to get it working again.

- Have tried changing ports, re-installing the GPS activator....

I'm stumped. Feels like a faulty device.

Any suggestions?

Thanks to everyone for their help!

GoogleMaps Settings....

Menu>Options>MyLocationSettings

The two box fields there the COM seltions and Baud Selection.

They dont have labels on those fields to tell you what they are...don't know why.

(FWIW...It took me a few looks to before I realized where those fields were...so youre not alone.)

You know, I've been wondering about this myself. I have no such settings anywhere in the version I'm using, which begs the question: which version of GMM are you (and everyone else) using to get access to these settings? I thought I had the latest version, which says v1.7.1.4 in the program's startup screen.

Could you please point me in the direction of the version that gives you access to changing the GPS settings? This is one of my gripes about GMM's site; there never seems to be any version information.

Thanks!

P.S. - I'm still waiting for someone to tell where in the registry they can alter the COM port settings after installing that GPS enable .cab file.

Guest nickcornaglia

goto http://www.google.com/gmm to get the latest version of google maps.

Also, if you want to see the registry settings, just open the cab file with WinRAR, then open the XML file within with NotePad on your PC.

As far as changing the COM to a different port...I tried 1, 2, 3 and 9 and none of them worked (for me). COM4 may be the only correct port to connect GPS to on the BJ2.

Guest mike665
Unforunately I don't have a Q9H to test, although I plan to get one ;)

If someone else can validate this behaviour on their unit too, perhaps we can work through looking for a solution. Perhaps COM4 is in use already, or there is a different clash of some description.

P

I found a post with others having the same problem. I edited the registry to change it to COM5 on my Q9h and it works great! Thank you very much!

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1282537

Guest cnynrpr

I installed the fix and immediately changed to COM5. Google maps seems kind of slow in downloading images and it would time out and quit on me several times, although GPS acquisition is fast indoors. WLS has absolutely no problems at all getting GPS location and downloading map images. Also having no problems web browsing with opera. Will wait until in better reception area to retest Google maps.

Have latest version of Gmaps and WLS, btw.

Guest cagrino

Ok, I'm chiming in with what I found using the COM4 setting on BJ II.

If I change GMaps' settings to use COM4, it can't find the satellites.

If I use Windows Live with the COM4 settings it works great.

If after using Windows Live, I go back to GMaps it has no problem using the GPS even with the COM4 setting. I guess WLS initializes it.

So, my solution is to take the COM4 setting out of Gmaps and use the "Set by Windows" setting. With this setting, GMaps finds the satellites with no problem.

Also, I have no problems with data connections.

OFF TOPIC: If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

I'm trying to set mail so that it uses my storage card. From what I've gathered, I need to make the following registry changes:

1. Go to "HKLM\System\Inbox\Settings"

2. Then add these strings

PropertyPath = \Storage Card\Inbox

AttachPath = \Storage Card\Inbox\Attachments

The problem is, whenever I try to add these strings, I get an error and it won't let me add the strings.

The message simply says "Error" and nothing else. I am using Resco Registry Editor 2007.

Moreover, I can't seem to add any values to the "HKLM\System" area even though I can add values for "HKCU".

Am I missing some kind of Registry Lock on "HKLM"?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Guest cnynrpr

Just an update, it's been about 6 or 7 hours since I installed on my Q9h and I'm seeing some major battery drainage. I tested it earlier today for a few minutes and put the phone down and haven't used it/charged it since. I checked just now and my battery level is 1/3 full. Normally it would be 2/3 full or more.

Paul, Thanks for the fix it’s greatly appreciated.

Can you document what you did? Did you set the com port to com4 for was that a default? Is there a registry value to change the com port?

I installed the app and tried it with Google Maps set to com4 and baud set at blank and also set at 19200 and neither worked. When I set it to ‘Set by Windows (Via Start -> Setttings)’ it worked perfectly.

For those debugging with Google Maps I found that if its set for the wrong com port or settings are wrong you will see the message ‘8KB Initializing GPS’ for a long time then a screen will tell you it can not connect. If it does find the com port you will get the message ‘8KB Seeking GPS Satellites (0)’.

The (0) is how many satellites it has locked. You need at least three for a lock (3). If you see this message things are working just wait, it should lock fast.

I could not get Microsoft Pocket Streets to find the GPS. It does not let you set the com port. I think it looks through all of them for a GPS. Has anyone been able to get it to work with Pocket Streets?

Thanks for the help,

SeanH

Guest Jnowak1981

Ok. Update. Mine still doesn't work

I try GMAPS. If I set to COM4 - 19200 - it can't initialize GPS and times out. If I set to Automatic (Windows->Start) it initializes GPS but does not lock in any Satelites and times out after a while of searching.

I try WinLive. If I set it to COM4 it searches and searches and then times out. If I set it to Intermediate driver it cannot initialize gPS.

WTH? LOL

ANyhow - here's a PASTE of teh CAB file

"

Can someone with a BJII who has theirs working post a copy of theirs to compare? Maybe the problem lies in this somewhere. Thanks.

Also why was COM port 4 chose for the BJII? If 5 seems to work for the Q? Is there a reason. What other ports could it be set to -or what other ports might work?

Edited by Jnowak1981

I try GMAPS. If I set to COM4 - 19200 - it can't initialize GPS and times out. If I set to Automatic (Windows->Start) it initializes GPS but does not lock in any Satelites and times out after a while of searching.

Try it outside in open air. If it’s searching for satellites it’s probably configured correctly. No matter how good a GPS is today, they still not work in the basement of a steal building.

SeanH

Guest Jnowak1981
Try it outside in open air. If it’s searching for satellites it’s probably configured correctly. No matter how good a GPS is today, they still not work in the basement of a steal building.

SeanH

;)

I've tried it everywhere. Inside my house, outiside of my house, on the roof of my house, at my gf's place 30 miles from my house, outside there, today in another state (lol - I had to go to St. Louis). Nada - doesn't work anywhere.

Guest nickcornaglia

A QUESTION FOR EVERYONE WHO HAS THIS WORKING:

Which GPS Apps have you been able to get working other than GoogleMaps and WIndows Live Search???

WORKING:

CamerAware

GPSTest (Free GPS Testing App available on Smartphone.net)

NOT WORKING:

Mapopolis

Efficasoft GPS Tools

Guest Jnowak1981

so i tested mine with GPS TEST from smartphone.net

scanning com 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 "gps starting up" and it just sat there for a good while until i exited the app after 10 mins or so

Guest nickcornaglia

Another App NOT WORKING:

Vito Smart Navigator

SIDE NOTE:

The registry was not fully unlocked after I ran the cab. I could not edit the registry until I ran the SDA Unlocker.

Guest Jnowak1981
Another App NOT WORKING:

Vito Smart Navigator

SIDE NOTE:

The registry was not fully unlocked after I ran the cab. I could not edit the registry until I ran the SDA Unlocker.

sda_application unlock? thats what i used on my phone. but im not sure it fully unlocked it. are there newer versions of the sda unlock app?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Argh, let me dive in and set a few things straight.

- we tested this CAB on a freshly hard reset Blackjack II (encece's), and it worked

- there's no point posting the settings from the CAB, all the links above are built from the same CAB, and it won't change between downloads

- the policy changes are an added bonus and are in no way related to the GPS functionality

- the COM4 settings is because that's what seemed to work on the BJII, i'm going to put up a Q9H version (COM5) shortly

- the GPS is only using power when something is connected to it, that's the way it's designed to work

;)

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.