My solution to joystick problems

Guest soalle

Hi guys,

as many others here I had problems with the joystick on my tornado.

Now it is almost as new doing these two following things:

- upgrading to wm6: it has been known that somebody solved the problems with firmware upgrade. This helped me too but it didn't solve the problem completely.

- using WD40 product on the joystick. This has done the job. I put a bit of WD40, move the joystick in _all_ directions and also lifted it several times.

Now it is not perfect but almost :D

I started to enjoy my phone again... finally... :(

Hope this help somebody else

• 2 weeks later...

I have a different solution (excuse me for my bad english, please...)

Upgrading to WM6 caused the problem with the joystick, and returning to WM5 solved the issue, so in my case it's not a hardware problem. I read a post in this forum (I can't find it!!!) about simmilar cases and that pressing another button makes joystick works fine.

MY SOLUTION: In the latest WM6 ROM there is an option in phone-> options -> hardware keys that allows to disable CommManager key (the key above volume controls). Well, I've disabled CommManager key, and then inserted a small piece of plastic inside the button (between the external plastic key and the internal switch) to mantain the button pressed.

I't has been running since last week without problems :( and the joystick works as new!!!!!!

Edited by josse

It is my belief that many of the problems with the stick are caused my dirt, or a software issue to do with the backlighting for the keypad.

When the keypad light goes out, the stick becomes unresponsive. It is most prominant with autlock.

I've noticed this because I do a fair bit of reading on my phone and the lights timeout very often. I have resorted to assigning keyboard keys to change pages.

Some people will notice that disabling the light sensor will resolve the problem, but after a reboot, it comes back. It may be that regularly toggling it on/off will do the trick.

There was reportedly was a short-lived ROM I have read about that allowed for tweaking the keybad backlighting timeouts, but I've never seen it. It would be nice to play with those drivers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1caspian
MY SOLUTION: In the latest WM6 ROM there is an option in phone-> options -> hardware keys that allows to disable CommManager key (the key above volume controls). Well, I've disabled CommManager key, and then inserted a small piece of plastic inside the button (between the external plastic key and the internal switch) to mantain the button pressed.

I't has been running since last week without problems :) and the joystick works as new!!!!!!

It seems that holding a button works for my bad joystick as well, but putting a bit of plastic inside the phone seems a bit drastic... But I' willing to try. But what I'm curious about is; is it still working?

If it's still working, how did you manage to insert the plastic?

• 3 weeks later...

I've got my own solution! (And it works right after I read this thread) My fix works and it's working perfectly now.

Whatever button you have that is not responding, lets say the up button, just hold that in the up position all the way and hold it pretty hard and then wiggle it side to side while still maintaining that up position. Just keep on jostling it side to side and hopefully the phone will finally respond. I did it to both my non-functioning left and up buttons and now they work fine!

Hope it works!

• 4 months later...