Palringo for Pocket PC (Professional) / Smartphone (Standard) CAB Install

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

index.php?automodule=downloads&req=display&code=sst&id=2440
File Name: Palringo for Pocket PC (Professional) / Smartphone (Standard) CAB Install

File Submitter: Paul

File Submitted: 25 Dec 2007

File Updated: 24 Apr 2009

File Category: Featured Downloads

Palringo is an Instant Messaging program with push-to-talk functionality that runs on Windows Mobile phones, Symbian phones, and PCs. Palringo allows you to instantly exchange text, photos and vocal IMs with an individual contact or even a group.

The multiple platform support enables you to stay in touch with your contacts whether you are working at your PC or on the go with your mobile phone. Further, Palringo also lets you send photos, vocal messages and exchange text IMs with other IM systems such as AIM, Yahoo!, Google Talk, MSN Messenger, and more. Thus, its excellent IM interoperability ensures you can at least IM other popular IM programs. Signing into any one of these is a synch; you simply "Add Service" from the main menu, pick your desired protocol and enter your log-in credentials, it's that simple!

One of the coolest feature is the push-to-talk (PTT) feature, which lets you instantly VoIP your buddies like a walkie-talkie. Palringo supports IRC-like chat rooms known as "Groups" in which users can share photos, meet-and-greet new friends and converse about a shared interest. It's easy to create and join groups, and the groups you've joined stay in your groups list so you can remember and access them anywhere from your mobile phone, desktop PC or read group history/view photos on Palringo.com.

Sending a voice or image message is easy, you simply tap to the relevant tab and either tap the "Push to Talk" or "Capture Photo" button. The latter will switch to your phones camera application and let you take a quick snap to send to your contact list; this sort of integration makes chatting to friends and showing them things extremely easy and an awful lot cheaper and more efficient than video calling. Sent photos will pop up on your friends' screens as photo messages and can be opened on demand or viewed via the Palringo website later.

In a nutshell, albeit a large one, Palringo is a chat, instant messaging, voice and photo sharing application which allows it to save all of your conversation history, photos and voice messages for you to access anywhere in the world and anytime.

Oh, and it's FREE!

This is a CAB installer, for installing directly onto your device.

Click here to download this file

Guest pd.ryder

This might sound mighty newbie of me <cringe> but I can't get this 'ere Palringo thingy to sign-in, log-on nor nuffink :D

I'm on the verge of binning it!

How on earth are you supposed to sign-in? There's nowhere to activate a specific Palringo account and whenever I try to sign-in using either Live Messenger or GoogleTalk log-in's it just won't have it. It won't let me add a service because I'm not signed in and I'm back to the beginning again!

Aaarrgh!!!

What can I do?? I have to admit, I'm absolutely befuddled by it :(

Does this (or any other WM messaging app) recognize the difference on AIM of being signed on normally and having mobile forwarding on? All the ones I've tried so far show mobile forwarding the same as being signed on, so there's no way to know when someone is actually signed on or not.

Guest pd.ryder

Kchrpm - not quite sure what you mean??

Both Win Live (mobile) and Palringo indicate when someone is on a mobile device, if thats what you're getting at.

Sorry if I've misinterpreted what you're on about... :D

:(

EDIT - typo username

Edited by pd.ryder

Guest Kchrpm

pd.ryder-

palringo doesn't for AIM, which along with Yahoo are the only services I really use.

Also, how do you switch between IM conversations in palringo? I couldn't see any way to go from a conversation back to my buddy list or to another convo without closing it out and losing everything that had been said up to that point.

Guest pd.ryder
pd.ryder-

palringo doesn't for AIM, which along with Yahoo are the only services I really use.

Also, how do you switch between IM conversations in palringo? I couldn't see any way to go from a conversation back to my buddy list or to another convo without closing it out and losing everything that had been said up to that point.

Yeah, I've noticed that too & its a bit of a pain especially when its a long chat I've been having.

I've not found a way to do that :(

Guest Kchrpm

It's kind of funny, I've been looking at a bunch of different IM apps to use on my Advantage over the last week and none of them have been good enough for me to use going forward, not even the pay ones, but for many different reasons.

-palringo has no archiving (for non-palringo conversations) or switching

-IM+ and Mundu have very poor landscape VGA support (IM+ shows only 4 lines of text in the message window and won't scroll menus, Mundu renders buttons partially or completely off screen or under another button)

-Agile is way too expensive

-Octrotalk would only connect to GoogleTalk and then want me to confirm every single contact I had on every service

-ebuddy is still J2ME only for WinMo

-fring worked great for a day (except for no copy/paste or link clicking), and then has refused to connect ever since

Any other suggestions?

Guest squilla
Kchrpm - not quite sure what you mean??

Both Win Live (mobile) and Palringo indicate when someone is on a mobile device, if thats what you're getting at.

Sorry if I've misinterpreted what you're on about... :D

:(

EDIT - typo username

Palringo doesnt show my mobile status, and it doesnt show when I put a message next to my name on msn. Having 2 conversations at the same time is virtually impossible but I like this program, it runs lightly in the background, its nice and simple and functions as it should.

I do miss Windows Mobile now im on WM6! Does anyone know why it doesnt work on WM6? (or is it just me?)

Guest Confucious
I do miss Windows Mobile now im on WM6! Does anyone know why it doesnt work on WM6? (or is it just me?)

Do you mean Live Messenger? Works fine on My Athena with WM6 (Black Touch Dual)

Guest squilla
Do you mean Live Messenger? Works fine on My Athena with WM6 (Black Touch Dual)

Yep, Live Messenger, I have tried over and over to install it via different methods, no luck, its probably the T-Mobile upgrade disallowing it. :(

Guest squilla
On which phone and which ROM are you using?

Ooh I dont know about ROM but im T-Mobile, Ameo, with the recent T-Mobile WM6 upgrade. It worked fine on WM5.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pd.ryder
Ooh I dont know about ROM but im T-Mobile, Ameo, with the recent T-Mobile WM6 upgrade. It worked fine on WM5.

Squilla - Google duttythroy (fixed) Windows Live 10.6.33.0600 which should install fine once it's unzipped. Just run the cab on your Ameo :)

Personally, I prefer Palringo. WinLive is a bit of a behemoth in comparison.

:D

Edited by pd.ryder

Guest squilla
Squilla - Google duttythroy (fixed) Windows Live 10.6.33.0600 which should install fine once it's unzipped. Just run the cab on your Ameo :)

Personally, I prefer Palringo. WinLive is a bit of a behemoth in comparison.

:D

Thanks! Im going to do a search right now! :D

EDIT: to add - Looks like from what has been said it could be because I was installing it on to the microdrive, I install most things on there, im going to give this one a shot though. W Live is handy if you want to chat to 2 people at the same time, although Palringo seems to run fine, nice and light in the background and has the benefit of putting all my IM in one program. Nice to have the variation. :D

Thanks again.

Edited by squilla

• 3 months later...