POP3 SkoogleMail

Guest pd.ryder

Guest pd.ryder

Hi Guys,

I upgraded to T-Mo's WM6 (minus the T-Mo 'customization') last week. I have been completely unable to setup Pocket Outlook to access my Sky email account. Sky have recently adopted what is lovingly referred to as SkoogleMail - that is they've off-loaded all their email onto Google's servers.

I have a Gmail a/c, complete with SSL, encryption and port numbers in the same way that the SkoogleMail servers are configured (how odd :D ). The setup for this a/c was a simple process of autoconfiguration and it's never skipped a beat.

However, there is no autoconfig available for the new Sky pop and smtp servers so, having all the settings, I set about putting them in manually. All well and good until trying to find somewhere to put the SSL port numbers -- there is nowhere to put them!

I remembered the Gmail a/c settings and was able to add the port numbers as a suffix to the pop and smtp server names, i.e. pop.tools.sky.com:995 and smtp.tools.sky.com:465

My username includes the Gmail prefix of recent:[email protected] which ensures all email is downloaded rather than just that not viewed by Outlook 2007 (a constant issue I have with not having IMAP access to this a/c).

Anyway, I can't access the account at all. I've tried evey configuration know to man and even the very enthusiastic Sky Tech drew a blank.

So, to my plea for help :(

Does anyone use Sky Broadband and their delightful SkoogleMail? Have you managed to access the email account from your WM6 device?

Guest Ramsfan_Jim
Hi Guys,

I upgraded to T-Mo's WM6 (minus the T-Mo 'customization') last week. I have been completely unable to setup Pocket Outlook to access my Sky email account. Sky have recently adopted what is lovingly referred to as SkoogleMail - that is they've off-loaded all their email onto Google's servers.

I have a Gmail a/c, complete with SSL, encryption and port numbers in the same way that the SkoogleMail servers are configured (how odd :D ). The setup for this a/c was a simple process of autoconfiguration and it's never skipped a beat.

However, there is no autoconfig available for the new Sky pop and smtp servers so, having all the settings, I set about putting them in manually. All well and good until trying to find somewhere to put the SSL port numbers -- there is nowhere to put them!

I remembered the Gmail a/c settings and was able to add the port numbers as a suffix to the pop and smtp server names, i.e. pop.tools.sky.com:995 and smtp.tools.sky.com:465

My username includes the Gmail prefix of recent:[email protected] which ensures all email is downloaded rather than just that not viewed by Outlook 2007 (a constant issue I have with not having IMAP access to this a/c).

Anyway, I can't access the account at all. I've tried evey configuration know to man and even the very enthusiastic Sky Tech drew a blank.

So, to my plea for help :(

Does anyone use Sky Broadband and their delightful SkoogleMail? Have you managed to access the email account from your WM6 device?

I have exactly the same problem. I upgraded my Vario II to WM6 in order to sync with my car (BMW) - which works perfectly - but now cannot access my sky email accounts from the device. They worked fine on WM5 (with SSL) and my other email accounts are accessible - but not Sky.

Is there a certificate that needs downloading or similar in order to use SSL?

Jim.

Guest pd.ryder
I have exactly the same problem. I upgraded my Vario II to WM6 in order to sync with my car (BMW) - which works perfectly - but now cannot access my sky email accounts from the device. They worked fine on WM5 (with SSL) and my other email accounts are accessible - but not Sky.

Is there a certificate that needs downloading or similar in order to use SSL?

Jim.

I don't think there's an SSL issue Jim as Gmail (not surprisingly) uses exactly the same SSL ports to interogate the a/c via POP3 and that's working fine on my VarioII.

I just can't work it out. Nor can Sky's Tech Team. GoogleMail don't know either and suggest there's something at fault with the device because the Gmail a/c works fine.

When Send/Receiving on the Sky a/c it doesn't even get as far as rejecting the login, but just stays 'Connecting...' for 2-3 minutes before informing me emails cannot be downloaded to my device etc... I can't see where the problem lies.

Previously, before the switch to SkoogleMail, I needed to use the T-Mobile servers (smtp.t-email.co.uk) for sending email from the VII on the Sky a/c, but that was never needed on the Gmail a/c. Using the T-Mob smtp server for outgoing obviously caused problems if I was connected via wifi rather than 3G so I was hopefull all would be well after the switch. So much for that idea because I can't access the a/c at all now... :(

Rollocks!!

<_<

Guest Ramsfan_Jim
I don't think there's an SSL issue Jim as Gmail (not surprisingly) uses exactly the same SSL ports to interogate the a/c via POP3 and that's working fine on my VarioII.

I just can't work it out. Nor can Sky's Tech Team. GoogleMail don't know either and suggest there's something at fault with the device because the Gmail a/c works fine.

When Send/Receiving on the Sky a/c it doesn't even get as far as rejecting the login, but just stays 'Connecting...' for 2-3 minutes before informing me emails cannot be downloaded to my device etc... I can't see where the problem lies.

Previously, before the switch to SkoogleMail, I needed to use the T-Mobile servers (smtp.t-email.co.uk) for sending email from the VII on the Sky a/c, but that was never needed on the Gmail a/c. Using the T-Mob smtp server for outgoing obviously caused problems if I was connected via wifi rather than 3G so I was hopefull all would be well after the switch. So much for that idea because I can't access the a/c at all now... :(

Rollocks!!

<_<

Do you (or anyone) know the differences between WM6 & WM5? The Sky email (using SSL) worked fine on my device before I upgraded.

When I first re-loaded my email accounts on WM6 it automatically found the OLD Sky account details - so successfully connected and downloaded the mail saying 'You need to change your settings'.

When changed to pop.tools.sky.com (with SSL) I get the same issue - tries to connect and eventually gives up.

I can successfully send/receive from another email account (not SSL) under WM6 - so I know there is no problem with the device (or WM6) per se.

I have tried with or without SSL, tried setting up an account from scratch, tried plain text (rather than HTML) - but all to no avail.

Do any technical experts know of any differences between WM5 & WM6 which could explain the problem?

Any advice appreciated.

Jim.

Guest pd.ryder
When I first re-loaded my email accounts on WM6 it automatically found the OLD Sky account details - so successfully connected and downloaded the mail saying 'You need to change your settings'.

When changed to pop.tools.sky.com (with SSL) I get the same issue - tries to connect and eventually gives up.

I can successfully send/receive from another email account (not SSL) under WM6 - so I know there is no problem with the device (or WM6) per se.

I have tried with or without SSL, tried setting up an account from scratch, tried plain text (rather than HTML) - but all to no avail.

Exactly my experience too...

I wish someone with some techie clout would take a look at this for us. It's making my Sky a/c less than usable and it's really bugging me as to why the WM6 OS is having such troubles.

C'mon guys -- a bit of a challenge for ya...

:(

Guest Ramsfan_Jim
Exactly my experience too...

I wish someone with some techie clout would take a look at this for us. It's making my Sky a/c less than usable and it's really bugging me as to why the WM6 OS is having such troubles.

C'mon guys -- a bit of a challenge for ya...

:(

BINGO!!

After reading a thread on another forum - I've got it working!!!

Delete your account, then set up a new one - but untick the option to automatically find settings. Then complete the incoming and outgoing paths as normal (pop.tools.sky.com & smtp.tools.sky.com) all other options as previously (SSL on etc.).

It must be setting the SSL options based on the OLD sky settings, but if you set it up yourself it works.

Cheers,

Jim.

Guest pd.ryder

There's life - Jim - not as we know it... :(

Its working :D It seems to have completely ignored the "Todays Messages..." setting and is in the process of downloading 355 meassages (!) [EDIT - no it ain't - its checking 355 headers] but that should sort itself on the next Send/Receive.

Brilliant mate. Very well done :D :D

Edited by pd.ryder