TheLostSoul's Thread of Tips

Guest thelostsoul

Guest jyalexop2003

I'd like to download opera mini for my BJ II, but I'll need to correct the

java permission issue with the attached zip app mentioned here.

A few questions:

1. Can your attached zip file be downloaded, extracted, renamed

and then copied to the java directory all directly from/in the mobile broswer/device (no PC syncing)?

2. Does my phone need to be software unlocked?

I've loaded Live Search, Google Maps and LEDalerts without

unlocking.

Making a Java application not ask for network access constantly:

1. Install the application you need to set the network permissions for.

2. On your phone, launch JBlend (Start - Applications - Java)

3. Starting at 0, count the applications until you reach the one you need to set it for. (for example, the first application is 0, second is 1, third is 2, etc)

4. Download the zip that is attached to this post.

5. Extract the file inside it and rename it to the number of your application (dot) mss - for example, if on step 3 I counted that my application was 4, then I would name it "4.mss"

6. Copy the file to your \windows\java directory, selecting yes to overwrite if asked.

Now launch the application and your permissions should be set. If not, open the application's settings and the options to allow always should be available.

If it still doesn't work, you probably counted wrong, or have add/removed applications. Remember, if you're list looks like this:

BrainChallenge

MySpace Mobile

PEOPLE Mobile Demo

Midnight Pool

Then BrainChallenge = 0; Myspace = 1; People = 2; Pool = 3; next application = 4, etc. This will change if you install and uninstall applications. However. If you have, there is no way to definitively tell which number it is. You will have to simply try various numbers until you get it.

Guest thelostsoul

Yes, this may all be done on the PC through ActiveSync. If you don't see the windows or the java folders on your phone, you may need to enable the "Show hidden files/folders" option in Windows explorer.

I believe it should work without unlocking your device, but if you get errors when you try to overwrite the file, then you will need to unlock it first.

Guest jyalexop2003

It can not be done directly with only the phone?

Yes, this may all be done on the PC through ActiveSync. If you don't see the windows or the java folders on your phone, you may need to enable the "Show hidden files/folders" option in Windows explorer.

I believe it should work without unlocking your device, but if you get errors when you try to overwrite the file, then you will need to unlock it first.

Guest thelostsoul
It can not be done directly with only the phone?

Sorry, I thought you were trying to verify that it may be done on the computer.

Yes, it may be done on the phone also, but the built-in file explorer might not let you navigate to those folders, and it might block you from overwriting the files. Simply get another file explorer such as Resco File Explorer (paid for) or TotalCommander (freeware).

Guest jyalexop2003
Sorry, I thought you were trying to verify that it may be done on the computer.

Yes, it may be done on the phone also, but the built-in file explorer might not let you navigate to those folders, and it might block you from overwriting the files. Simply get another file explorer such as Resco File Explorer (paid for) or TotalCommander (freeware).

When i go into /Windows/Java I see three files named 1, 2 and 3, as well as other stuff like JBlend_VM

JBlend_AMS, and more.

Do I simply point my phone browser to the attached zip file. How do I download the attached zip

file, extract the neccessary file to be renamed to 4.mss, and then copy to /windows/java??

Guest thelostsoul
When i go into /Windows/Java I see three files named 1, 2 and 3, as well as other stuff like JBlend_VM

JBlend_AMS, and more.

Do I simply point my phone browser to the attached zip file. How do I download the attached zip

file, extract the neccessary file to be renamed to 4.mss, and then copy to /windows/java??

Using File Explorer will be difficult because it doesn't show hidden files or file extensions.

Regardless, you could try to download the file from this site by pointing the browser here, then opening it using the zip file extractor that comes with the blackjack. Extract the file to your My Documents folder first.

Now, ensure that you have counted out which number your Java Application is. If you open the Java application and see a list like this:

BrainChallenge

MySpace Mobile

PEOPLE Mobile Demo

Midnight Pool

YOURAPP1

Then starting with 0, you count until you get to yours. So in this case it is 4.

Now use your file browser (preferably something other than File Explorer) to navigate to your My Documents folder. Rename the file you just extracted to the number of YOURAPP, and make sure it's file extension is .mss. Copy that file to \windows\java and it should work when you next launch the Java application.

Guest z_phantm

Hi i've been searching this forum and others including Google regarding making the caller ID larger? anyone know how? registry edit maybe? someone please help. thanks in advance. :D

Also do the Blackjack II support animated gif or any animation for wallpaper?

Guest z_phantm

Another request. Does anyone know how to make the contacts defaulted to "file as" the way you left it? Everytime you edit a contact it goes back to "Last Name, First Name". I like to sort my contacts as "First Name Last Name" and sometimes by "company". So I would always have to switch it back as soon as I edit anything on that contact.

Also, is there a way to add your own "categories" on the contacts for easier sorting. My older phones are able to do that. I had restaurants, theaters, friends, family, co-workers...

Any help would be appreciated... thanks in advance...

Guest JeepinCalifornia
Another request. Does anyone know how to make the contacts defaulted to "file as" the way you left it? Everytime you edit a contact it goes back to "Last Name, First Name". I like to sort my contacts as "First Name Last Name" and sometimes by "company". So I would always have to switch it back as soon as I edit anything on that contact.

Also, is there a way to add your own "categories" on the contacts for easier sorting. My older phones are able to do that. I had restaurants, theaters, friends, family, co-workers...

Any help would be appreciated... thanks in advance...

-A quick cheat, but not an ultimate fix would be to swap their first and last names!

-And, if you scroll down far enough while editing the contact, you can assign a category, but I really haven't tried to see what this can do as far as mass emails/text messages, or group ring-tones, etc...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jasmar

I see a couple of places in this thread that talk about having Java not constantly ask for permission, but each time there is no file to download/install, they just make mention of a zip file that is attached to the post/topic. I'm not sure if I am just overlooking it or what, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Can anyone help by posting a link to the file I would need to download? I have tried to find this without asking for help but have not had any luck. Thanks in advance.

Guest thelostsoul
I see a couple of places in this thread that talk about having Java not constantly ask for permission, but each time there is no file to download/install, they just make mention of a zip file that is attached to the post/topic. I'm not sure if I am just overlooking it or what, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Can anyone help by posting a link to the file I would need to download? I have tried to find this without asking for help but have not had any luck. Thanks in advance.

The file is in this post:

http://www.modaco.com/content/Samsung-i617...ps/#entry869400

Make sure you are logged in when you view it, else you might not be able to see the attached files.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bailey boy

I'm looking for more info on making the 3G an option. I live in an area where 3G and G meet and it kills my battery. I just want a way to turn 3G on/off with very a simple key sequence.

Guest px2000
I'm looking for more info on making the 3G an option. I live in an area where 3G and G meet and it kills my battery. I just want a way to turn 3G on/off with very a simple key sequence.

Hi there, I have the exact same problem. If someone finds a solution for this, please post it here.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest blackjack123

Can somone please help me? Ive spent to much time on this, How do you Go into HKEY_Current User → ControlPanel → Sounds. this is possibly a stupid question but im new to all this. Thanks

Guest danzer
Can somone please help me? Ive spent to much time on this, How do you Go into HKEY_Current User → ControlPanel → Sounds. this is possibly a stupid question but im new to all this. Thanks

you need to install registry editor which is on the first page of this topic, from there you will find what you are looking for

• 3 weeks later...
Guest c1derly

I just got my gps working on my BJII last night by following the instructions on this website and using the build in gpstest.exe, but I was wondering if anyone has the source code for either gpstest.exe or a program that works with the GPS without having to run gpstest.exe first. I have a sample project from the windows mobile sdk but it won't work unless i run the gpstest.exe first. Any idea what it is about this program that makes it able to communicate with the BJII gps?

Guest dshosu

+1 for custom boot animations (with sound preferably)

...I've been looking all over and TheLostSoul seems to be the resident expert on the BJ2 so I'm hoping he can work some of his magic there.

Guest thelostsoul

Actually, that's an easy one...you know the hacks used to remove the startup/shutdown sounds? Simple use your own custom .wav files and overwrite with them instead...should work :D

Guest dshosu

OK that sounds easy enough. I'm sure I can figure that out.

But what about a custom boot animation? I've read that the the animation is some home imbeded in the .dll any ideas anyone?

Guest thelostsoul

Ah yes, the animation is in a dll file, that would need to be repacked properly. There are editors that might be able to modify the images in those dlls, but I've not tried. Perhaps I'll look into it sometime soon and let you know....

Guest JeepinCalifornia
Ah yes, the animation is in a dll file, that would need to be repacked properly. There are editors that might be able to modify the images in those dlls, but I've not tried. Perhaps I'll look into it sometime soon and let you know.

Custom sounds and Animation for startup/shutdown could be fun. . . :D

Guest dshosu

Custom sounds doesn't sound too difficult (no pun intended), it's the animation I want.

Too bad it's not the other way around, I'd be satisfied with a custom animation with no sound.

But a custom sound with the AT&T animation? No thanks!