1 GHz Qualcomm CPU in future handsets & coming Nokia N810-killer?

Guest Menneisyys

Guest Menneisyys

I'm not really into writing hardware news (I don't have the time for something that other tech writers / bloggers also elaborate on - instead, I prefer spending my time on tutorials, software reviews, Bibles and unique, genuine hacks instead), but the latest hardware news (reported on by Geek.com) is indeed pretty interesting and certainly shows there will be some REALLY exciting Windows Mobile devices in the (unfortunately, not very near: late 2008 / early 2009) future. Let me cite Geek.com:

First look at Qualcomm’s new Fairbanks and Anchorage mobile platforms

The other model, the more exciting one for most people, is the “Anchorage”. This is based on Qualcomm’s Snapdragon platform so it will use a 1.0GHz processor (said to operate at 1/2 watt peak) along with WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, cellular, and a lot more good stuff. The unofficial word is that Snapdragon will offer close to the best power/performance ratio of anything on the market. The Anchorage device will be aimed more at productivity and the test model I saw had a QWERTY keyboard. The form factor of this model was a lot like the Nokia N810, but the actual design will be whatever OEMs want. So far we know that Samsung and HTC are on board, but there are a few others that are not official yet.

qualcomm_anchorage_02.jpg

Anchorage

qualcomm_anchorage_03.jpg

Anchorage and iPhone

The Anchorage was running Windows Mobile 5.0, which was only used for display purposes as any OS, even a full OS, can be run on the 1.0GHz processor. It also has the camera with video recording, GPS, and live TV playback capability. Because it has a cellular signal it will be prime competition for a device like the HTC Advantage, though it will also compete against products like the Nokia N810 and Sony mylo 2.

Everything is still in its early stages and things will change a lot once the OEMs get their hands on them and start to customize. This may mean lost/added functionality as well as many different form factors and large swings in the price. All we do know is that we should start to see the devices released by the end of 2008, possible early 2009.

Guest Menneisyys
i like it, how many MP is the camera? whats the screen resolution? seems like a really cool device. any word what carriers will have it?

Nothing is certain as yet.

Frankly, I don't expect much of the camera... WinMo devices, traditionally, have had pretty lame & shitty cameras compared to other mobile platforms like Symbian.

Guest Shuflie

I'd be a bit dubious about the throwaway comment at the end about "any" OS being able to run on it. I'd wouldn't expect to see Vista or XP (even XP embedded) appear on it anytime soon even if it is a 1GHz chip. Speed isn't the only requirement for running an operating system, it would have to be recompiled to run on the instruction set of the processor, and I haven't seen any claims that Snapdragon platform is Intel X86 compatible.