Windows Live displaying '30 day trial' prompts?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest hotphil
I thought MS were scraping the whole "Windows Live Mobile" thing. I am using a Touch Dual here on Orange (12 key) and don't even have the app installed. When I started looking for a download link I found myself at a loss.

Have MS decided against pre-loading on new handsets or is this Orange's handy work?

if you want the installer, a quick Google search will find one for you.

so it was all a mistake after all? I can see the logic in charging Symbian users as MS have had no revenue from them, but still a big cock up.

Live is now uninstalled from my device and I'm starting to make the switch to other providers for my primary IM client.

Guest Battletux

This is odd....I have just signed up with 3 for their mix and match 300 tariff with a Nokia N95 8GB handset. I have logged into MSN both yesterday evening and this morning and I have not had that message?

Part of my tariff includes unlimited* MSN Live IM access, so maybe 3 users do not get this warning?

*by 'unlimited' 3 mean 'Fair Usage' of 300 IM's per day.

EDIT: Sorry, I've been with 3 for almost a week.

Edited by Battletux

Guest Battletux
How would they tell you had sent 300 IMs a day? Surely its all just data usage?

Not sure to be honest, it's just what I read in their small print. I also get 'unlimited' Skype usage but I have yet to see what they consider 'unlimited' to be.

Guest kyrkesmith
Have MS decided against pre-loading on new handsets or is this Orange's handy work?

Orange's. Similar to how they've trashed the appearance of Windows Mobile for all their recent SPVs.

Article on The Register this morning: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/09/mo...r_30_day_trial/

Quote from the article:

"Microsoft confirms that these 30-day trial messages were pushed out, but it claims that this wasn't supposed to happen on Windows Mobile devices. The messages were only intended for the Symbian-based Nokia S60 smartphone."

Kimbie

Guest tsutton
Article on The Register this morning: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/09/mo...r_30_day_trial/

Quote from the article:

"Microsoft confirms that these 30-day trial messages were pushed out, but it claims that this wasn't supposed to happen on Windows Mobile devices. The messages were only intended for the Symbian-based Nokia S60 smartphone."

Kimbie

Yeah... already posted in here by someone from Microsoft. :( (page 6)

Guest Monolithix
How would they tell you had sent 300 IMs a day? Surely its all just data usage?

You can't use "normal" WLM on the 3 network, you have to use their own version provided for the majority of handsets. Unfortunately this does not include WinMo though! I assume its been hacked to use something like a different AP or proxy, similar to the way MMS works (that's just data too, but is charged per session rather than data transfer)

Well I was already teetering on the edge of defecting back to S60 (tempted by the N95). If M$ did decide to charge for Messenger then that would be the final nail in the coffin for me. It would be a disasterous business plan for M$ if they did this - with WM already struggling for market share with Symbian and Blackberry. Maybe they want to kill off Windows Mobile who knows? I'll be watching carefully as I'm sure many WM users will be. Go on M$ - give me the push I need to defect to Symbian! :(

" I predict a boycott, I predict a boycott!"

I for one will stop using this service if they start charging for it. We pay enough to our Mobile networks without MS charging us too!

Microsoft, If you are reading this, you are about to do yourselves a lot of PR damage with the Win Mob community if you follow through with this!

Have MS already fixed the issue? The trial prompt is gone (at least temporarly) on my Vox!!! :( I've logged in and out a few times and I haven't got the annoying message back yet (knock on wood) :D

Edited by owziee

Guest jeffmckean

Hi folks, yes, we think it's fixed but are still trialling it ourselves with people in the UK and Sweden.

Thanks for the feedback, we are reading.

Best,

Jeff

Guest spmwinkel

Good to know you all are keeping track of the discussion here. :(

I don't use Messenger enough on my device to justify paying for it, so you wouldn't make money on me this way. I do understand Microsoft is a commercial company but since any large search system (Google etc) is free, and Windows Live Messenger for desktop and other messengers are free as well, starting to ask for a payment doesn't sound like a step in the right direction.

I'm positive that I don't even know 2% of the interests that are part of such a decision though! :D

Edited by spmwinkel

Guest Confucious
Hi folks, yes, we think it's fixed but are still trialling it ourselves with people in the UK and Sweden.

Thanks for the feedback, we are reading.

Best,

Jeff

Nice to know you are reading! Personally I use messenger on my PC quite a bit and occasionally on my phone which is very useful but I ceratinly wouldn't pay for it. It is a nice extra in WM and I think you would lose more than you gain by charging for it.

Guest dolbe666
This is odd....I have just signed up with 3 for their mix and match 300 tariff with a Nokia N95 8GB handset. I have logged into MSN both yesterday evening and this morning and I have not had that message?

Part of my tariff includes unlimited* MSN Live IM access, so maybe 3 users do not get this warning?

*by 'unlimited' 3 mean 'Fair Usage' of 300 IM's per day.

EDIT: Sorry, I've been with 3 for almost a week.

is that the online version of windows live messenger or the downloadable windows live messenger? they are different things. its the downloadfable version that will be getting the trial message for symbian, not the online web version

I'm currently using a Nokia E61 with WLM and I got the message.... seeing as MS are still managing to get money from my expired credit card on Xbox live I am worried!

Nice to know you are reading! Personally I use messenger on my PC quite a bit and occasionally on my phone which is very useful but I ceratinly wouldn't pay for it. It is a nice extra in WM and I think you would lose more than you gain by charging for it.

Just like to add that these are exactly my thoughts

I couldn't have said it any better

Guest Monolithix
:( I got the message a few days ago. :D I'll be tempted to the Symbian side if M$ do this. Lets hope Yahoo! pt their messenger into Yahoo Go 3.0

Note that the message was intended for certain Symbian devices, and not WinMo users at all (for the moment :D)

Note that the message was intended for certain Symbian devices, and not WinMo users at all (for the moment :( )

But the point is it may be introduced to WinMo too, at which point WinMo (MS's own OS) will lose what is, to some, a significant advantage over Symbian. Not a smart move by MS to even imply that could be about to happen, which is exactly what they've done in this very thread.

According to a swedish cellphone site microsoft sweden at least have just confirmed not only Nokia S60 users but also windows mobile users will be charged aswell.... It also sound like some 3rd party clients may be blocked from the live servers :(

Swedish people can read the article here: http://www.mobil.se/ArticlePages/200801/11...orer973.dbp.asp

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.