Colored Iconbar Plugin

Guest RinkuD

I am here to share the iconbar plugin I have been developing. Hope you like the first release.

plugin2.jpg

The steps should not be too difficult. Sorry, I do not have a cab file!!!

1. Using ActiveSync, browse down to \Windows of your phone. Copy the file cmhome.home.xml to your Desktop. This file describes the T-Mobile Default theme. If you are trying this on other themes then you need to find the appropriate xml file describing the theme. it would either be in \Windows or \Application Data\Home. Create a copy of this file and keep it as a backup. Right click on the file on your desktop and select Properties. Make sure the Read Only property is unchecked.

2. Open the file in Notepad. Look for the following block of code towards the end.

Remove it and put the following block.

3. Save the file. Overwrite cmhome.home.xml in \Windows and \Application Data\Home with the file on your desktop.

4. Open CeRegistryEditor (or a registry editor of your choice). Right click on \HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID and create the new key {B06A8DAB-E148-40d5-BE8F-3C494ABF3046}.

5. Right click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B06A8DAB-E148-40d5-BE8F-3C494ABF3046} and create the new key InProcServer32.

6. Click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B06A8DAB-E148-40d5-BE8F-3C494ABF3046}\InProcServer32

and create a new string value (REG_SZ) entry: Value = iconbarplugin.dll . Check "Set as default key's value". The name of the key would automatically appear as Default.

7. Now download this plugin file - iconbarplugin.zip iconbarplugin.zip. Unzip the file and copy iconbarplugin.dll over to \Windows on your phone.

8. Go to Start>Setting>Home Screen and change the "Home Screen Layout" to something other than "T-Mobile Default". Once the change takes place, go and change it back. If the phone asks for confirmation about running iconbarplugin.dll, say Yes.

9. Turn off your phone and switch it back on. The new plugin should now be active.

I have posted some more information on the plugin, the notifications it can give currently, and a few pointers to the icons - please see http://shadowregistryhacks.blogspot.com/20...bar-plugin.html. Enjoy!!

This is great except my signal bar is always grey. Ideas?

Did you mean to say that only the signal bar is not working, or is it the whole plugin? If it is just the signal bar, then let me know what kind of connectivity are you on - Edge, GPRS or simple radio? I do not have anything fancy so don't know if the signal bar works with other types. I am just registering changes in the documented registry entry - \HKLM\System\State\Phone\Signal Strength Raw.

I am here to share the iconbar plugin I have been developing. Hope you like the first release.

plugin2.jpg

1. Using ActiveSync, browse down to \Windows of your phone. Copy the file cmhome.home.xml to your Desktop. This file describes the T-Mobile Default theme. If you are trying this on other themes then you need to find the appropriate xml file describing the theme. it would either be in \Windows or \Application Data\Home. Create a copy of this file and keep it as a backup. Right click on the file on your desktop and select Properties. Make sure the Read Only property is unchecked.

2. Open the file in Notepad. Look for the following block of code towards the end.

3. Save the file. Overwrite cmhome.home.xml in \Windows and \Application Data\Home with the file on your desktop.

4. Open CeRegistryEditor (or a registry editor of your choice). Right click on \HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID and create the new key {B06A8DAB-E148-40d5-BE8F-3C494ABF3046}.

5. Right click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B06A8DAB-E148-40d5-BE8F-3C494ABF3046} and create the new key InProcServer32.

6. Click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B06A8DAB-E148-40d5-BE8F-3C494ABF3046}\InProcServer32

and create a new string value (REG_SZ) entry: Value = iconbarplugin.dll . Check "Set as default key's value". The name of the key would automatically appear as Default.

7. Now download this plugin file - iconbarplugin.zip iconbarplugin.zip. Unzip the file and copy iconbarplugin.dll over to \Windows on your phone.

8. Go to Start>Setting>Home Screen and change the "Home Screen Layout" to something other than "T-Mobile Default". Once the change takes place, go and change it back. If the phone asks for confirmation about running iconbarplugin.dll, say Yes.

9. Turn off your phone and switch it back on. The new plugin should now be active.

I have posted some more information on the plugin, the notifications it can give currently, and a few pointers to the icons - please see http://shadowregistryhacks.blogspot.com/20...bar-plugin.html. Enjoy!!

wow this is really great... tnx

do u have the link on how to create my own icons :) ... i wanna try to create my iconbar..

Guest the_matrixx
Did you mean to say that only the signal bar is not working, or is it the whole plugin? If it is just the signal bar, then let me know what kind of connectivity are you on - Edge, GPRS or simple radio? I do not have anything fancy so don't know if the signal bar works with other types. I am just registering changes in the documented registry entry - \HKLM\System\State\Phone\Signal Strength Raw.

Nevermind, after a couple reboots it works now. I have EDGE.

wow this is really great... tnx

do u have the link on how to create my own icons :) ... i wanna try to create my iconbar..

The icons are right now embedded into the dll file. Customization of the plugin is down my list, after I am done adding all notifications and figure out how to take over the icons on window title bars (they still remain the same for now). But anyways, you will be allowed to change icons and the black background of the iconbar.

Guest trickinit
An update to the Iconbar plugin is now available. I added some more notifications. Check http://shadowregistryhacks.blogspot.com/20...gin-update.html.

Do you think you could make a .cab for this? I really think it's a good idea, but I'm sure there are many others like myself who are unable to overwrite the system files in the \windows folder. Thanks!

Guest spyler03

plugin2.jpg

Ok i need help. Im trying to look for the file cmhome.home.xml. when Im on my phone i see it and i can open it. but when i look in the same folder on my desktop only that file is basically non existant. I just did a master reset on my phone to see if that was maybe the problem. but its still the same. I even used the .cab file that was posted. it doesnt work either.

You mean you cannot see it in either of the two folders - \Windows and \Application Data\Home ? Verify that you have "Show hidden files and folders" enabled in My Computer>Tool>Folder Options>View on your desktop.

Check if "Auto Lock Timeout" is enabled in Start>Settings>Slide and Key Lock. The plugin does not interact with the auto lock module in no way, so I have no clue why that might be happening.

Guest spyler03
You mean you cannot see it in either of the two folders - \Windows and \Application Data\Home ? Verify that you have "Show hidden files and folders" enabled in My Computer>Tool>Folder Options>View on your desktop.

Thank You so much! Im going to try the rest now. :)

Guest deyanimay

Rinku actualy it does lock itself if i wait a long time but it takes longer that before is it posible that the plugin keeps the home screen active so it doesnt lock as fast?

Guest sardonumspa

rinku, great plugin.

anybody having problems with the home screen failing to redraw when this plugin is installed?

i am using the updated one with the complete icon set, and when i choose the modified home screen, it locks up the home screen, and i have to pull the battery. i can still get into the start menu though, strange.

once i went back to the unmodified plugin, all was well. i also don believe i had this problem with the old plugin, but i didn't keep it very loing since the new one came out so fast.

Rinku actualy it does lock itself if i wait a long time but it takes longer that before is it posible that the plugin keeps the home screen active so it doesnt lock as fast?

The plugin registers for notification with the OS. Whenever, there is a change it performs the required changes in the icons. Hence it gets activated on a "need" basis. If you have gone through the home screen documentation then you probably know that plugin dlls go through a repeatative process of loading and unloading. There is absolutely no need to keep the plugin active when there are no changes in notifications. I have followed the architecture as described, building up from the template available. So, I do not think the home screen would remain active for a longer time. At this point, I am not sure why your phone is taking a longer time to lock. You might want to search for a registry hack to reduce the autolock timeout time...presently I do not know which registry entry it is. But I am sure someone else has already done that.

rinku, great plugin.

anybody having problems with the home screen failing to redraw when this plugin is installed?

i am using the updated one with the complete icon set, and when i choose the modified home screen, it locks up the home screen, and i have to pull the battery. i can still get into the start menu though, strange.

once i went back to the unmodified plugin, all was well. i also don believe i had this problem with the old plugin, but i didn't keep it very loing since the new one came out so fast.

I would say, perform a soft reset with the old plugin on, then follow the steps to update it, and then perform a soft reset again. The idea is to not have any other application interfering with any aspect of the plugin loading process. I tried to recreate your problem but could not do so. Let me know if that helped!!

For some reason, it's not working on my Shadow... mabye it's not compatable with SmartToolKit..? :)

I have not used SmartToolKit and do not really know what modifications it makes to the plugin architecture. Could you please check if it disables home.exe?

Guest trickinit
I have not used SmartToolKit and do not really know what modifications it makes to the plugin architecture. Could you please check if it disables home.exe?

SmartToolKit modifies the Start menu to be similar to Windows Xp/Vista, and it also has a feature where it places a clock on the iconbar. That's what makes me think that it wouldn't work with your plugin. Here's a like to the page:

http://www.smartphone-freeware.com/downloa...-1-00-rc07.html

Anyways, how do I check to see if it disables home.exe?