I780 + Locked GPS

Guest J273

This is the first handset i believe though to use the 320 x 320 res

So as soon as apps support and make use of the 320 x 320 its not going to be any different to 240 x 240 say on the treo 750.

That's the whole point why this sucks though - despite WM6 promising "hi res" support at OS level, the fact you have a 320x320 screen is for 99% of the time completely ignored by the OS and its core applications.

OK, a minority of apps like IE and Googlemaps can use it internally, but you still can't claim the space back from those huge status bars, and for most stuff you do, the OS is just pretending it's 240x240. So you might as well just have a crappy Treo 750. Talk about a wasted opportunity.

That just shows how dumb MS and WM are. Any sane person would expect a 320x320 screen to be able to display at least the same number of lines of text (or icons) vertically as a bog standard 320x240 display - but with the advantage of less wrapping. And definately more than a 240x320 landscape or 240x240 square screen.

Only the noddy land of MS, could we have ended up with a video standard that has third MORE pixels available than QVGA, which shows a third LESS data on the screen!

Still, I suppose it looks good on the spec sheet, which to most marketeers and their victims, is all that counts!

Edited by Metoo

Guest vbijelovic

Hey J273,

I take it you have now got yout i780! :-) What do you make of it? Have you had any luck unlocking or modifying it? I tried using RealVGA on it - very nice! Paul, how about you? Have you got yours yet? Really love the fact that its such a slim, good looking phone that has everything in it... J273, when you get your GPS running, can you please let me know the settings for GPS test, as mine is no longer running at COM4 and 4800 baud as before, and won't recognise it in automatic mode. Thanks

Yup finally got one

Glad i did now as ive heard the sim free model has been delayed again until april.

I love it and think its probably the best winmo device ive had.....Mines the sim free model so is already unlocked.

Ive also got GPS working and works fine with google maps.....the settings i use are:

External gps settings

gps program port : com8

gps hardware port : com9

Access : Manage GPS automatically (ticked)

I also use it with tomtom....but for tomtom to work you need an app called GPSGATE ...once you install that just run the wizard and it detects the GPS hardware and creates a virtual comm port.

Once you have gps running ...run tomtom and then in the gps settings use Other NMEA device and select the new port that was just created with GPSGATE.

I do have one slight problem with it though, which is when i answer a call its still ringing on the other end for at least a few seconds until it connects......The same also for when im ending a call....i press the hang up button but its still connected on the other end...very weird.

Do you have the same with your orange rom?

Edited by J273

Guest vbijelovic

Thanks for reply - yes, same problems with ROM detected but happen intermittently... most annoying! We can loo forward to the cooked ROMs even more eagerly hehe but it is the BEST phone I have had so far ;-)

Yup finally got one

Glad i did now as ive heard the sim free model has been delayed again until april.

I love it and think its probably the best winmo device ive had.....Mines the sim free model so is already unlocked.

Ive also got GPS working and works fine with google maps.....the settings i use are:

External gps settings

gps program port : com8

gps hardware port : com9

Access : Manage GPS automatically (ticked)

I also use it with tomtom....but for tomtom to work you need an app called GPSGATE ...once you install that just run the wizard and it detects the GPS hardware and creates a virtual comm port.

Once you have gps running ...run tomtom and then in the gps settings use Other NMEA device and select the new port that was just created with GPSGATE.

I do have one slight problem with it though, which is when i answer a call its still ringing on the other end for at least a few seconds until it connects......The same also for when im ending a call....i press the hang up button but its still connected on the other end...very weird.

Do you have the same with your orange rom?

Guest berniesuen

Hi Bros! I'm from Hong Kong and just bought a I780 (not from Samsung's official dealer). I have just read all the above but not sure that whether the GPS is only working with Google Map.

Second, nearly all HK users of this this phone dont know how to hard-reset the phone if both keypad and screen do not have response (those goods to HK is without user-manual)!!

Thanks thanks for help!!!! :D

Hi Bros! I'm from Hong Kong and just bought a I780 (not from Samsung's official dealer). I have just read all the above but not sure that whether the GPS is only working with Google Map.

Second, nearly all HK users of this this phone dont know how to hard-reset the phone if both keypad and screen do not have response (those goods to HK is without user-manual)!!

Thanks thanks for help!!!! :D

How much does the i780 cost in Hong Kong?

Guest vbijelovic

Has anyone had any luck with finding information about putting different ROMs on the phone? I am sure that unfortunately Paul hasn't yet got his phone, otherwise it would be sorted! ;-) J273 - how are you finding the phone? I am still having trouble getting my GPS working again (thanks for the detailed instructions though!)

Edited by vbijelovic

Guest Paul (MVP)

I've left it as is (GPD1, COM9) and assume that Google Maps should work.

Weirdly, CamerAware seems to get no data, if I can get it running i'll rustle up a 320x320 skin to make it i780 compatible.

I see there is an app in the Windows dir to turn on 'Assisted GPS' too... (Orange i780 this is).

P

On my vanilla model

Ive got an app in the settings menu called Enhanced GPS.

Is this not on the orange handset.

Edited by J273

Found this over on XDA-developers.....A free alternative to gpsgate and no soft reset problems.

The best way to have your i780 working with TomTom Navigator 6: PortSplitter.

Install TomTom, install PortSplitter.

Set the Windows Mobile settings to program: COM8, hardware: COM9 and baud 4800.

In PortSplitter, set input to COM8: (type it in) and output to COM6:. Then ADD the output port by pressing the ADD button.

Check the AUTOSTART function and press START SPLITTER.

This will start automatically whenever you open the application on a later time.

Then start TomTom, set other nmea gps to baudrate 4800 and point at COM6:. That's all.

It always works (even without soft reset) and the fix is there within 1 minute.

http://www.gpsmeter.com/index.php?page=portsplitter

Guest vbijelovic

Hi Everyone!

Paul, glad to hear you got yours! I am having the same trouble as you now in that I can't get the blasted GPS to work in any way at all... I have tried the J273 suggestion and initially it said something to the effect of looking for signal, but now it just says no GPS device! DOH! Paul, I have really got used to the Dpad and not using it as amouse any more which is working fine for me now... Anyway, any more news on GPS or ROM cooking appreciated. Btw, Paul - use realVGA, makes it so much better

Found this over on XDA-developers.....A free alternative to gpsgate and no soft reset problems.

The best way to have your i780 working with TomTom Navigator 6: PortSplitter.

Install TomTom, install PortSplitter.

Set the Windows Mobile settings to program: COM8, hardware: COM9 and baud 4800.

In PortSplitter, set input to COM8: (type it in) and output to COM6:. Then ADD the output port by pressing the ADD button.

Check the AUTOSTART function and press START SPLITTER.

This will start automatically whenever you open the application on a later time.

Then start TomTom, set other nmea gps to baudrate 4800 and point at COM6:. That's all.

It always works (even without soft reset) and the fix is there within 1 minute.

http://www.gpsmeter.com/index.php?page=portsplitter

Guest euphoria3k

Hi J273

Did you have any issues once you had uninstalled GPSGate? It seems when i try to set the input in portsplitter to com8 it just says it can't find that port. In the list it still has the virtCom9 which i presume was from gpsgate?

Cheers

Guest vbijelovic

Sorry to hear that Paul! :D

I got my GPS to work, as posted everywhere, both with GPS gate and PortSplitter - I just wasn't waiting long enough outside in the cold for that first fix (and who can blame me in this cold!?) hehe but its now working like a dream... :( only thing left is to get one of Schaps or other cool ROMs on here when/if that becomes possible; and then to sim unlock it of course; and then to.... hehehe :(

I'm actually sending the i780 to Mono to review, I dislike it that much :(

P

Guest hooperman

Hi, on the version of Portsplitter i downloaded, there is no option to autostart so i have to run that and set it up everytime i soft reset. Which version did you download?

Also, I have found that Navigon doesnt work on the i780 although it worked perfectly on my Compact 3

Guest vbijelovic

V 1.11

Don't know what Navigon. TomTom works fine with it as does Google Maps for me

Hi, on the version of Portsplitter i downloaded, there is no option to autostart so i have to run that and set it up everytime i soft reset. Which version did you download?

Also, I have found that Navigon doesnt work on the i780 although it worked perfectly on my Compact 3

Guest jackofall
I'm actually sending the i780 to Mono to review, I dislike it that much :D

P

Does that mean we won't be seeing an i780 debrand pack?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ZeroK66
Should there be any sort of flashing LED etc to indicate the GPS is working?

P

Hi Paul, how are you getting on. Got mine through orange business, but not done anything with it yet... hoping to have a crack later this week.

Best winmo device I have ever owned for sure!!