Data Charges

Guest rand

Hi All,

I am at the end of my 18 months with T-Mobile and thinking of going over to Orange as the reception where I live and now that I have moved jobs am terrible. I get missed calls and making a call is hit and miss. I know orange is good 'cause I have used it at home before and my work colleague is also on orange.

My hesitation is that Orange charge 8.00 for their Data tariff and I believe it is 40mb where as T-Mobile charge 7.50 and give 1 GB.

Can anyone using orange data let me know their thoughts please as I really need a better provider for calls but not sure if I will get issues over the Data?

Thanks again to anyone who either reads or replies :)

O2 have their unlimited data package if O2 coverage is good in your area. Their package is £7.50 and unmetered and gives access to GPRS/Edge and 3G HSDPA. Also, if you buy one of their 'Online' tariffs through the website, they offer a free bolt-on (which defaults to their 'Unlimited Texts' bolt-on). You can change this so that you can have the Unlimited Internet bolt-on for free with your tariff. I've been on O2 for over a week and had no problems with their GPRS/Edge/3G HSDPA networks.

And just for the record, I dumped T-Mobile as I was having horrendous problems with text messages going missing for hours on end, missing calls and the phone not ringing even though I had a signal and sometimes not being able to place calls/send texts (again even though I had a signal). Repeated calls to T-Mob customer services didn't solve anything! :)

O2 have their unlimited data package if O2 coverage is good in your area. Their package is £7.50 and unmetered and gives access to GPRS/Edge and 3G HSDPA. Also, if you buy one of their 'Online' tariffs through the website, they offer a free bolt-on (which defaults to their 'Unlimited Texts' bolt-on). You can change this so that you can have the Unlimited Internet bolt-on for free with your tariff. I've been on O2 for over a week and had no problems with their GPRS/Edge/3G HSDPA networks.

And just for the record, I dumped T-Mobile as I was having horrendous problems with text messages going missing for hours on end, missing calls and the phone not ringing even though I had a signal and sometimes not being able to place calls/send texts (again even though I had a signal). Repeated calls to T-Mob customer services didn't solve anything! :)

If I may ask - are you getting HSDPA speeds or just the H network symbol? (just moved to O2 myself)

If I may ask - are you getting HSDPA speeds or just the H network symbol? (just moved to O2 myself)

Now you mention it, I have not actually checked the speed of the downloads, I've simply noticed the phone switching between '3G' and 'H' when downloading webpages/email and it will return to '3G' again once the connection is idle. I will check the speeds next time I am connected. Seems pretty fast though! :)

Now you mention it, I have not actually checked the speed of the downloads, I've simply noticed the phone switching between '3G' and 'H' when downloading webpages/email and it will return to '3G' again once the connection is idle. I will check the speeds next time I am connected. Seems pretty fast though! :(

Thanks guys, after speaking to Orange they have assured me that the web browsing is unlimited with a they daid 40Mb limit this they say is for downloading of files only. I don't know how they determin the difference between downloading and navigating the web but this si what they say. I am going accross on a sim only as i bought the expansys modaco deal Kaiser so have the best phone on the market and can cancell the sim only after 1 month. I don't really do many downloads, as i sometime surf the web via my PDA, have emails running all the time, weather and also some tomtom trafic... i really don;t see how i can get more that 30-40mb.

I was thinking about O2 but the signal at my home is worse than T-Mobile :D

Lets hope my first or second orange bill is not massive :(

Guest 2004mark
Thanks guys, after speaking to Orange they have assured me that the web browsing is unlimited with a they daid 40Mb limit this they say is for downloading of files only. I don't know how they determin the difference between downloading and navigating the web but this si what they say. I am going accross on a sim only as i bought the expansys modaco deal Kaiser so have the best phone on the market and can cancell the sim only after 1 month. I don't really do many downloads, as i sometime surf the web via my PDA, have emails running all the time, weather and also some tomtom trafic... i really don;t see how i can get more that 30-40mb.

I was thinking about O2 but the signal at my home is worse than T-Mobile :(

Lets hope my first or second orange bill is not massive :D

I pay £5 pm to Orange for evening and weekend unlimited browsing, I'm not sure if they still advertise this but they do still offer it. Suits me as I'm at work or the gym until after 7pm. Not sure what they class as unlimited on this package, but I have consistently downloaded over 200mb pm with no extra charges.

Now you mention it, I have not actually checked the speed of the downloads, I've simply noticed the phone switching between '3G' and 'H' when downloading webpages/email and it will return to '3G' again once the connection is idle. I will check the speeds next time I am connected. Seems pretty fast though! :D

On my Stellar the H appears the whole time the connection is available, not just when downloading. (Which is different to orange). I have never got more than Edge speeds however. (Using GPRS monitor and dslreports.)

Guest Shaunfarris

NEVER even consider switching to Orange if you intend to use Data. The £8 is for 30Mb only you will use this inside a week without thinking about it.

Drop Orange and only consider the other networks

I think you will find that when they say 'web browsing is unlimited' they are referring only the Orange World site. As soon as you navigate away from Orange world it is chargeable. They seem to be so naive that they think Orange world is all anyone wants to use.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pete_thomson
It's been on Orange for a couple of years now or so I believe.

That's really surprising. I was shocked to find the 3 backed off to O2 and not Orange from day 1, but I heard that Hutchinson fell out with Orange around the time that France Telecom took over and that was probably a good reason why O2 got the deal.