Mobile upgrade advice

Guest digidales

Guest digidales

Am with Orange, and have had a reasonable plan with 600mins +400 mins loyalty, unlimited texts, £5 cashback, plus 30Mb data for £35/month. (Except last month the bill was £112 due to calling overseas too much!) But in August I lose my £5 + 400 minutes loyalty offers from my last upgrade 16months ago, and Orange are saying they will give me 1200 mins, 500 texts, any time 250Mb surfing for £40/month. First question is: Does that sound like a decent deal? Is anyone offering a better deal which would make leaving Orange after 10 years worthwhile?

(I use about 800 - 1000 mins a month, plus anywhere from 600 texts or more, and use 10-30Mb data cos the costs spiral out of control too fast otherwise!)

Second question is about handset upgrade.

I've got an SPV M3100 which I quite like though the video camera is pants. Orange are saying look at the Tytn II, TP6500, S310 etc. I'm sort of tempted to keep the SPV and pray like hell it holds out another 18months and flog the upgrade on Ebay for some much-needed cash. Otherwise, the M3100 should make about £100 on Ebay if someone can tell me about a phone I will want more than that!

You lot are obviously experts at this. Looking at other posts there are better, newer HTC models due out shortly. Can anyone advise me what to look at for a smartphone replacement or to resell? (NOT the jesus phone, as until it gets a video cam it is of no use to me!)

Many thanks

Guest WearTheFoxHat

No deal with Orange is "good". Look at the T-Mobile tariffs ... seriously!

The orange tytnII is horrendous, the T-Mobile one is hardly customised at all.

I'm pleased with the TyTN II, and chuffed to bits with T-Mobile, who have fab customer service. They also include existing customers in all new incentives that I have seen.

Guest shootydogthing

Yeah, oranges data deals are awful. Wait a few months and you can get the new PocketPCs on T-Mobile on great deals

Guest digidales

OK, you've hooked me already! I'm moving more and more towards moving from Orange. But am confused. Treat me gently, been with Orange since I got my first ever mobile back in 95/96 so never had to do this stuff before....

How do I get an upgraded phone eg a PDA level phone, if I move to T Mobile - who do I talk to? (Got so used to talking to retentions!)

Where is the Tytn II on T-Mobile's site?

What is the best newbie offer on T Mobile, or anyone else, that would allow me my current consumption plus my desired data usage (ie much more than now) plus insurance etc?

What does anyone recommend to a Mac and Asus EEE user for decent tethering - handset and tariff? Where we live there are so few hotspots and I am frequently out of range of even ADSL connectivity....

Many thanks for your advice.

Guest Confucious

It is difficult, T are offering free w/e calls - when do you make most of yours? 250Mb isn't bad - but T's W'n'W is as good as unlimited - you might go over 250Mb - with 1Gb you don't have to think. Flext is great because you don't have to worry about the split of texts/mins. The deal you've been offered isn't bad if it includes a free Tytn II - in Flext 40 the vario III is £80 - If you're not gettinhg a free Tytn II it isn't so good.

If your calls are mainly w/e then you could go for a lower package - flext 35 is £30 + £7.50 for W'n'W

T's CS is great and I've never been out of bundle except when abroad or using 08 nos or premium rate texts. Normal usage is always included.

Your choice but IMHO T are great. But might be worth checking out Voda as they have increased their prices but now include 500Mb of data

Good luck!

Guest shootydogthing

On T-Mobile the TyTN II is called the Vario III, its in the list of phones under T-Mobile.

My advice is wait a few months, the Touch Diamond is coming to every network and the Raphael will be out soon too.