Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest still.sdh
All I can say is that barely no one here will help you, no one helped me at all. But, I will try to answer some of your questions:

Sound through the speakers still works, just no headphone or mic jack. So use a USB headset or simply buy a very very cheap USB-> phono adaptor.

Battery life is the same on XP or OSX, near enough anyway.

The rest, I have no clue on. Sorry.

Yeah, I really need to get an audio out, so an adapter sounds like the right solution for me.

If one wants to be cocky they could be installed internally too, right? This is what I found:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5831

Well hibernate doesn't work, but that's standard for all hackintosh's at present. However great work is being done on that with a solution being promised soon.

Autosleep used to work, but I may have clicked something on mine to stop it doing that. However now I press the power button and it asks me what I want to do. This is far more preferable to me.

Sound works fine, it's just the mic and headphone ports that do not, which is easily remedied with a USB headset.

I "think" it might use slightly more power when using OSX than WinXP ... but I would also suggest you get the 6 cell version, rather then the 3 cell ones. However if battery power is an issue ... Mugen Power are offering a huge 9 cell 7800mah replacement for the standard 2200mah battery! Id hate to estimate how much time you are going to get out of that.

Realistically you're getting a device which runs OSX pretty damn well, but is not an offical Apple laptop. So, for a few things which there are workarounds for, it's certainly worth the money, being a fraction of the cost of a macbook. It was for me, as I was keen to get into OSX. I now have the Windbook, and my main PC running Kalyway.

The power button method is good enough for me too. Though I think I've read

somewhere that the MSI Wind goes to sleep when closed, but not 100% sure on that.

I'm definitely getting the 6 cell and I've heard that in america they ship with 6 cell

while in europe they don't. That kind of sucks.. The 9 cell is too bulky for me so I'll pass on that one though :D

Thanks for the reply guys, this has helped me out.

I'm pretty sure I'll get one and just need to decide between the Wind and 1000h now.

Suggestions are welcome! :lol:

Guest xxcooldudexx
Awww that's not fair. People here are generally very helpful. But with the hackintosh thread, everyone was breaking new ground, and so not a lot of experience to back up other peoples questions. Plus most people posting had their own problems, and probably never returned once they had resolved them. Reading through the threads solved most of my issues when I was installing Kalyway.

It would be nice however to build a bit of a hackintosh community here.

Some of the questions I asked wouldn't have been hard to answer at all. Oh well, I suppose that meant I had to go researching to find answers. And I never said this was a bad community, trust me. If it was, then I wouldn't have even half my post count. And a hackintosh community sounds awesome!

Yeah, I really need to get an audio out, so an adapter sounds like the right solution for me.

If one wants to be cocky they could be installed internally too, right? This is what I found:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5831

That will work fine, I have other people saying that it works correctly on OSX.

Fixed my bluetooth.

If anybody is having bluetooth problems in Windows XP on your 4211/Wind,

navigate to C:\Applications\Drivers\Bluetooth

And there is a file called "setup"

this will reinstall the Toshiba bluetooth stack so it could potentially fix any problems you're having

:D

Also, does anybody know how to make stickers? I think this would look pretty cool on the inside of my Advent 4211:

stickertu9.png

What do you think? :lol:

Guest still.sdh

That OS X sticker would be sweet! :lol:

I'm also putting an Apple logo sticker that came with my iPod on the outside.

Yeah, I'm an Apple fanboy, err, Semi-Apple-fanboy after my netbook purchase.

Guest xxcooldudexx

Credits to marckie

Still here in Cloud 9 after having my very own MacBook nano Pro! :shock:

I love this community and I love the guys that brought us to where we are now...

Anyways, to give back to the community, I created a simple sticker for WindOSX86.

I also did a sticker for the MacBook nano Pro (for the black MSI Winds - inspiration from MarcNL), and a 9"x6" black apple lid to cover the msi logo (sorry MSI!)

I made one for the WindOSX86 and for those also that are using other distros (in black and blue):

336907904.jpg

I'll be using this one:

336907916.jpg

Some might prefer this one instead:

336907901.jpg

Here's to cover the Lid:

336908332.jpg

And here's to cover the MSI logo on top of the keyboard:

336907909.jpg

I hope you'll like it. If you have some suggestions and/or comments feel free to drop me a PM. I'd be open for "healthy critism", though please note that I'm not a professional graphics artist. :?

I'll be posting more pics when it'll be sticked on my Wind tonight, hopefully. Enjoy! :D

UPDATE 1:

Here are the links for the soft copies:

http://rapidshare.com/files/150158910/Lid_EPS.eps.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/150158911/Nano.ai.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/150158912/OSX.pdf.html

Enjoy! 8-)

UPDATE 2:

Well, I was able to get the stickers from the shop last night and lo' and behold... my very own MacBook nano Pro!

Enjoy!

337190722.jpg

337190710.jpg

337190699.jpg

337190690.jpg

337190688.jpg

337190684.jpg

337190680.jpg

337190672.jpg

337190658.jpg

337190628.jpg

337190606.jpg

337190605.jpg

337190603.jpg

337190601.jpg

337190600.jpg

337190596.jpg

337190592.jpg

337190584.jpg

337190580.jpg

337190575.jpg

337190565.jpg

337190563.jpg

337190553.jpg

337190549.jpg

I know its not the real thing and i know its kinda crappy but hey... you can't get a sub$400 macbook you know... :lol:

UPDATE 3:

Lid for the white version of the wind:

http://rapidshare.com/files/154737012/LidForWhite.ai.html

I have everything up and running except i can't get my linux partition to show up in the darwin bootmenu....osx and windows show up but no linux, any ideas?

Guest dogweed
Does anyone know how i can swap the functions of the FN button and the CTRL button, in Windows?

thanks

The FN button is BIOS/hardware based and doesn't even get reported to the OS at all as far as I know.

You can swap the codes for other meta keys with some registry magic, but I don't have the details to hand...

I am still waiting on all my parts to arrive. Perhaps this weekend I can get my teeth stuck into it.

Whilst enjoying a bottle of champagne last night my best friend co-erced me into sticking a temporary

sticker onto the clear protective cover....

I have decided to call mine a Drunk Apple - a Cider! (pic enclosed)

Would the sticker fit on the right way up?

I got 2 apple stickers with my iPod classic but they must be smaller than the ones you used to get because they won't cover the advent logo at all, no matter what way i rotate them.

Edited by Conn18

Guest glynhughes

Just wanted to add my thanks to Paul for the instructions.

Installation went as described. Very straightforward.

Some wierdness, but generally works. Will be adding a wifi card in a day or two.

a few oddities I've noticed so far

Can't switch off the 'tap-to-click' function of the touchpad

The re-mapped keyboard doesn't stick so have to reselect it on every boot

Display sometimes comes up as 800 x 600 instead of 1024 x 600

I have an 'eject' symbol in the menu bar which I've never seen on a mac before.

Where is the best place to look for ongoing improvements to the OS X installation on the Wind/Advent?

Just wanted to add my thanks to Paul for the instructions.

Installation went as described. Very straightforward.

Some wierdness, but generally works. Will be adding a wifi card in a day or two.

a few oddities I've noticed so far

Can't switch off the 'tap-to-click' function of the touchpad

The re-mapped keyboard doesn't stick so have to reselect it on every boot

Display sometimes comes up as 800 x 600 instead of 1024 x 600

I have an 'eject' symbol in the menu bar which I've never seen on a mac before.

Where is the best place to look for ongoing improvements to the OS X installation on the Wind/Advent?

Here?

Guest andywilson460

I used an Apple Sticker that came with my Leopard Discs (Family pack for all macs at home). IT nearly covers the AVDENT brand on the back, but you can see a tiny bit of the A and T - also the Apple produced stickers are slightly transparent so you can still just about see the Advent brand. Fooled a couple of people at work - think it is nicely ironic.

I used an Apple Sticker that came with my Leopard Discs (Family pack for all macs at home). IT nearly covers the AVDENT brand on the back, but you can see a tiny bit of the A and T - also the Apple produced stickers are slightly transparent so you can still just about see the Advent brand. Fooled a couple of people at work - think it is nicely ironic.

please upload a pic? :lol:

Guest roger99
Thanks Paul. Got me the Best Buy $399 version. Works great! Here's my question. Which Dell 1490 card do I get? The dell site lists 30 of them. Are they different from one another? Which should I get?

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?...amp;x=0&y=0

Thanks again,

Skip

I bought a Broadcom BCM4321 on eBay. This supports Airport N. (It's apparently the same as that used in MacBooks.) Works very well but it will only fit if you remove the stand-off bit (see earlier posts).

Edited by roger99

Guest roger99
I'd been running 10.5.4 quite happily for a couple of days but after it shut itself down when the battery ran out the other day it now won't boot. On booting I hear the HD start up but after a couple of seconds it stops (with the green activity light going out) leaving just the black screen. (It's the same with an external drive connected with the Kalyway boot disk.)

Well I opened it up, removed the HD, tested it with Disk Utility on my iMac and that seemed OK. I then removed the extra gig of RAM (bought from play.com) and my Advent came back to life. Strange because it had worked OK initially. Oh, well.

Guest roger99

Here's my MacAdvent, by the way:

MacAdvent.jpg

I used a black felt tip to stop the Advent logo showing through.

(I think I may remove the Apple Computer text from the bottom, though.)

That Samsung laptop looks similar to the Eee 1000 actually.. This OS x installation method probably wouldn't work, but if someone took the time there would most probably be a way.

Guys.. will THIS wireless card work with my advent 4211 on leopard? and will i have to remove the stand off thing?

That's pretty much like the Dell 1490 I got the other day from eBay. It had Broadcom 4311 on it also, and installed great. By the way I used the method posted from here to install Leopard onto my Gigabyte M912 and is working, except the sound and the web cam. I have been searching to see if somehow I can get the web cam and sound working but no luck. Anyone know how I might get this to work? Also the touch screen works with Leopard on my M912.

Guest elalitte
Guys.. will THIS wireless card work with my advent 4211 on leopard? and will i have to remove the stand off thing?

Yes, people on this thread said it worked, I have tested the 1390 and 1590 from dell and they both work.