Opera 9.5 Beta 1 released

Guest deadphill

Guest T39andcounting

Wow! this app is amazing! first time web browsing from my moble has come close to the experience on my desktop. Posting from it now and my only gripe is it doesn't handle text boxes too well, (not resized to fit on the screen, and does not allow you to select txt from what i can see).

Guest Phil Lee

Just installed it and liking what I see so far. The only thing missing at the moment is Opera Link. I can't find it anywhere in the settings. I used it with Opera Mini and thought I'd be able to transfer over my bookmarks.

Guest deadphill

Just some stuff lifted from Opera's website which you might want to be aware of:

* ActiveX is disabled -> Flash plugins and embedded video streaming do not work.

* Custom IME’s (like HTC’s IME) will be buggy at best, not working at worst.

* Not multilingual build — Only English is supported. Problems with other languages (and input methods) is not unexpected.

* Installation on memory cards may cause problems.

* Text wraps in overview mode.

* Fails on ACID2 test

At the moment the browsing is fantastic, though I cant wait for the embedded video to start working. My only gripe is that by the time they have sorted this I will probably already be onto my Vario 4, so here is hoping it comes with opera as the MDA C4 does!

Still much better than any other browser I have been using on my Vario up till now. Very impressed!

Cheers

Phill

Guest Chocolicious

I read pretty early on that Opera comes as standard with the new HTC models and after now receiving my Compact IV, I look forward to the Pro aka Vario IV and a hardware keyboard.

Guest Sonicr360

Anyone using it on a TYTN II ?

So far, I think I prefer the "mini" browsing experience to this.

Only been to eBay - text small as hell ... zooming in was ok, but does not seem as smooth as the Opera Mini.

Has anyone adjusted any settings or features?

Guest mikeeey

does anyone know the difference between this one and the latest version on xda? seems like xda always has the newest of everything.

Guest andrewkeith5

I have to say I think this is the best mobile web browser I have ever tried.

I am yet to find any sort of fault with it (except for the activex thing, but obviously that's turned off), whereas with the "naughty" version of opera from the diamond everything was exceptionally slow and buggy, whereas this is unbelievably smooth and quick.

I'm running it on a TyTN II (Vario III) with a now fresh install of the TLR6.1 rom.

Its also great to see that ReFlow works a massive amount better on this release - an example being the news.bbc.co.uk website, where on the previous hacked diamond version none of the text was "reflowed" properly, whereas now everything is correct.

EDIT: as an afterthought, who really cares about the ACID2/3 test? Surely if it works with the vast majority of web pages, it works....

Edited by andrewkeith5

Guest nokiaguy

sonic-yeah im using it on a tytn2 and to be honest opera mini seems a tad better for me also.iv set 9.5 to show the page as on a mobile too as i cant be bothered with all that finger paning.

Guest jamesvdv
Anyone using it on a TYTN II ?

So far, I think I prefer the "mini" browsing experience to this.

Only been to eBay - text small as hell ... zooming in was ok, but does not seem as smooth as the Opera Mini.

Has anyone adjusted any settings or features?

I agree with Sonicr360 that Opera Mani 4.1 is smoother on a Tytn II. This is especially the case if you are in a 2G area. However, I think that the text rendering when zoomed is more attractive on Opera Mobile 9.5. Remember that Opera Mini is server assisted, which means that it has limitations, such as no embedded video playback which will hopefully be overcome on the final release of Opera Mobile 9.5.

With Opera Mobile 9.5 I also like the fact that you can easily use it without a stylus.

It would be nice to have an easier way to use the incremental zoom feature though and it is not possible to zoom in and out at all via the D pad or soft keys. For this reason it is not as easy to use this browser while holding the phone with only one hand as you can with Opera Mini.

Guest T39andcounting

it would also be nice to see some integration with the hardware keys at the bottom of the screen. This version of Opera definitely needs the use of a stylus... 1 (small) point to IE on that score!

Guest igalan

I've tried it and it looks awesome, navigation is fast, renders almost like on a desktop and overall it's a really good approach very different to Opera Mobile 8.65 and closer to Opera Mini 4.1. But the current beta has a nasty bug that disables most notifications (sounds, pop-ups and LEDs) for SMS, MMS, calendar, etc. At least that happens on my HTC Touch; but I'm not alone, many people on the Opera forums seems to be affected. Notifications are critical for me, I can't afford to loose one for an incoming appointment, so I uninstalled it :D . I'm still looking forward a new beta more polished. But once you try it, it's difficult to go back :D .

Edited by igalan

Guest rushmore
I've tried it and it looks awesome, navigation is fast, renders almost like on a desktop and overall it's a really good approach very different to Opera Mobile 8.65 and closer to Opera Mini 4.1. But the current beta has a nasty bug that disables most notifications (sounds, pop-ups and LEDs) for SMS, MMS, calendar, etc. At least that happens on my HTC Touch; but I'm not alone, many people on the Opera forums seems to be affected. Notifications are critical for me, I can't afford to loose one for an incoming appointment, so I uninstalled it :D . I'm still looking forward a new beta more polished. But once you try it, it's difficult to go back :D .

Current beta is for touch devices only, but since a lot of features are turned off, I would not install over my 8.65 anyways.

Hope it comes out soon, but the beta feedback will probably result in delays, because they will then release a beta with the features turned on. This is probably beta 1 out of 3. I expect a fall release of the final version.

Thanks for that, I'd been trying to work out why my SMS alert had gone quite, never thought it could be related to Opera!

Edited by Tim

Guest deadphill
Current beta is for touch devices only, but since a lot of features are turned off, I would not install over my 8.65 anyways.

Hope it comes out soon, but the beta feedback will probably result in delays, because they will then release a beta with the features turned on. This is probably beta 1 out of 3. I expect a fall release of the final version.

Anyway you look at it, even with features turned off, its a damn site better than using PIE!!!!!

Cheers

Phill

Guest tims31

I can't get this to install

Every time I try I just get the "Installation Unsuccessful. The program or setting cannot be installed because it is not digitally signed with a trusted certificate" I have switched the warning off with HTweakC but that has now effect. Any ideas?

I was really looking forward to installing this and giving it a try.

Guest tims31
Not CID unlock, just App unlock I would have thought...

No the phone is not loocked to any network. It is connected through T-mob but is an HTC TYTn and not locked to their network. Also I don't have this problem with any other software I install???

Guest tims31
That's why I said App unlock not CID unlock or SIM unlock...

Not sure what you mean by that? App unlock. Any idea how I would check this.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.