Skyfire updated to Beta 2, non US access still unavailable

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
skyfire.png
Skyfire, the mobile browser that works it's magic by rendering pages on a back end server farm before delivering them to your device, has been updated to Beta 2!

The new Beta, which is now available for Symbian as well as Windows Mobile, offers the following improvements:
  • Multi-line text entry (2,000 character limit)
  • Auto-complete text entry
  • Paste into URL or search
  • Ability to delete bookmarks
  • Multiple zoom modes for touch screen phones
  • Double tap to Zoom In and Zoom Out
  • Support for custom virtual keyboards (SIP)
  • Web search shortcut in softkey menu
  • Access to the Windows Mobile Taskbar in softkey menu
  • Persistent settings for SmartFit, Mute and Zoom size
  • Support for 12-key and ½ QWERTY devices
  • Password masking
  • Backlight usage based on system settings
  • OK button sends Skyfire to the background

With it's support for full Flash and Skype (made possible by the remote rendering), SkyFire has great potential. Sadly, SkyFire still doesn't support non-US users, so I really can't tell you how good it is (or not). Come one SkyFire, why the limitations? :D

P

[Via: PalmAddicts]

Guest PPCInformer

Head over to : http://www.skyfire.com/sign-up, register yourself and add the referral code : cnet100

It supposedly bypasses the wait for receiving an invite for the beta. A friend from New York said it worked for him and he was sent an invitation to join immediately. I have been trying it with no luck. Give it a shot and let us know what happens

Guest Mr_Gee

I signed up in the beginning, but being an non-us resident i just filled in a bogus phone number

I didn't get the SMS (obviously ) but i did receive the email where there was a DL link..

Worked like a charm

unfortunately it doesn' work on my Diamond, so now i'm waiting for a VGA version :-/

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sccrplaya407

Signed up for Skyfire about a month ago. (give or take a week) Got the sms text for the download yesterday and downloaded to my device right away. When i first fired it up it said data connection error and said something about maybe not enough coverage or bad connection and i immediately fired it up again and connected quite fast. Once I got the browser running it moved along quite fast. The homepage is tabbed and has new, sports, weather, social, shop and a nice link to the latest images and videos from the Beijing olympics :D The rendering thing is pretty cool where you can see the webpage as you would on your desktop. Tried going to cnn.com and espn.com and both took between 10 seconds to show the page and then maybe about 20 seconds to show the full render of the page.( fine print readable and what not. overall pretty cool browser! definitely like it WAY more than IE, now hopefully firefox works harder

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest Rickardo

Skyfire now available as Beta in UK. Just trying it on S710 and seems speedy and resizes BBC iPlayer nicely in landscape.

Available for WinMo 5/6 pro and standard: http://get.skyfire.com/

Windows Mobile phones: Skyfire runs on Microsoft Windows 5, 6, and 6.1. We support VGA and QVGA screen resolutions. Skyfire runs on many popular Windows Mobile phones including the HTC Tilt, HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Fuze, Motorola Q and Q9, Palm Pro, Palm 800W and Samsung Blackjack II. To check if your phone is compatible with our OS and resolution requirements, please refer to the Microsoft website.

Skyfire will not run on Windows Mobile PDAs. Skyfire runs on phones only.

Skyfire will not run on WVGA Windows Mobile phones.

Skyfire will run on Wi-Fi, however a data plan is recommended.

Edited by Rickardo

Guest Wombleuk
Skyfire now available as Beta in UK. Just trying it on S710 and seems speedy and resizes BBC iPlayer nicely in landscape.

Available for WinMo 5/6 pro and standard: http://get.skyfire.com/

Windows Mobile phones: Skyfire runs on Microsoft Windows 5, 6, and 6.1. We support VGA and QVGA screen resolutions. Skyfire runs on many popular Windows Mobile phones including the HTC Tilt, HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Fuze, Motorola Q and Q9, Palm Pro, Palm 800W and Samsung Blackjack II. To check if your phone is compatible with our OS and resolution requirements, please refer to the Microsoft website.

Skyfire will not run on Windows Mobile PDAs. Skyfire runs on phones only.

Skyfire will not run on WVGA Windows Mobile phones.

Skyfire will run on Wi-Fi, however a data plan is recommended.

Plays BBC Iplayer and Youtube out of the box, but no favourites ! B)

Guest Rickardo
Plays BBC Iplayer and Youtube out of the box, but no favourites ! B)

Bookmarks = favourites, no? On their website they admit a big problem at present is the inability to import existing favourites (bookmarks), but you can add sites as you visit them and manually add/edit etc. They have a selection of common ones available including BBC sports, Facebook etc.

Benefit over Opera mini is that you can make it your default browser. I understand Opera Mobile does, but this is not free!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.