3 fiver a month PAYG data suddenly working in 2G area?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

How weird, I tried my 3 PAYG SIM today in the Shift (with the fiver a month internet bundle activated), and it's magically started working for data even tho i'm in a 2G area!

:D

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

It's still getting only 2G coverage, so it MUST be roaming in O2 or Orange... I can't really tell as network indicator just says '3' with the roaming indicator.

Very odd!

P

Guest Dr Who

I think the fact their data service did not work over 2G was what did for me when I was trying to get a PAYG SIM working on a friends laptop with an old vodafone 3G card. Worked perfectly with my TMob SIM, but when I put the three SIM in it didn't show it connected to any signal. I had assumed that we must be in at least a 2G signal (centre of London), so figured either the software or SIM were b0rked. If its now working I might try again.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yeah, it'd be useful if someone could confirm they are seeing the same.

Maybe 3 have just initiated a 2G data roaming agreement with their partners... would make sense as they were getting hammered by dissatisfied customers IMHO?

P

You can use a payg sim to roam onto 2g. All the payg sims seem to use orange.

When I got my broadband adaptor (had to send back as it didn't work!) it worked fine with my 3 payg sim, only using Orange though...

Just for you Paul, i'll add some credit to my payg sim and give it a try with the internet bundle....

Would be a good way of getting cheap orange unlimited data, even if it's only at 2g :D

Guest DeanPall

Yay! Looks like 3 is finally working on 2G using the Orange network. Has anyone got Opera Mini working? Works fine on O2 but looks like it's port blocked on Orange. Anyone able to confirm?

Guest DeanPall

Nice one. Thank you. Works a treat now and I now have the perfect setup for my SPV M3100! The 3 network rocks! Just wish I could set up Skype to use the front ear piece rather than the rear speaker!

Guest mcwarre

Just to add my 2P worth..................

When not on 3 my phone always had data using O2 (3 contract). I have never been able to get data on Orange until I read this thread and retried it. Guess what? It works with data on Orange now also. Hooray! Well done 3 :D

Guest Kimbie
Nice one. Thank you. Works a treat now and I now have the perfect setup for my SPV M3100! The 3 network rocks! Just wish I could set up Skype to use the front ear piece rather than the rear speaker!

I belive that is a limitation of the Windows mobile platform rather than Skype

Guest Mysterious Stranger
It is a bundle you can add to any three payg sim card....

Only offers me a £10 bundle? Do I need to access it via mythree or topup through a phone?

edit - found it through my three under 'internet' rather than 'mobile broadband'. So what's the difference?

M.S

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

Guest Dr Who
Only offers me a £10 bundle? Do I need to access it via mythree or topup through a phone?

edit - found it through my three under 'internet' rather than 'mobile broadband'. So what's the difference?

M.S

I believe internet is for use on a phone only, whereas mobile broadband can be used for tethering to a laptop.

I believe internet is for use on a phone only, whereas mobile broadband can be used for tethering to a laptop.

The £5 bundle does work as internet access via a pc/laptop. I had it connected via orange using my Diamond and it was working fine (although slightly slow!)

Guest Confucious

What speeds are you getting with the £5 one?

Mark, can you try in a 3G area ad let us know what download speeds you are getting as Paul lives way out in the sticks (Norwich) and so can't get 3G?