smape.com posts Xperia X1 uber-review

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
x1ssmape.jpg
We've posted about smape.com before (last time when they scooped a Touch Dual review!), and they seem to have done it again by posting a very extensive review of the hotly anticipated Sony Ericsson XPeria X1!

Featuring a very informative review and a whole host of images, the review is a must-read if you're one of the many awaiting the arrival of Sony Ericsson's first foray into the Windows Mobile market.

Taking into account the fact that Smape are obviously reviewing a device that will be a number of software-builds shy of release quality, they seem to come away might impressed! Sadly the reservations raised previously about the keyboard remain...

What we didn’t really like about X1 was the main keyboard. The buttons feel loose and you can’t always feel if a button was pressed or not. We hope this will get fixed by the release day. The backlight is perfect though: bright enough to eliminate any possible inconvenience when you work in the dark. A brightly colored LED light works as the best reminder so you won’t ever miss a message. Talking in advance, we’d mention that Touch Pro still has a much better keyboard, which is the biggest advantage over the Swedish-Japanese competitor.

but...well... i'll let you read through for yourself to get the rest of their impressions! :et us know what you think!

The curved slider still looks slick, a 3.5mm is great and that 800x480 screen DOES look glorious... :D

P

[Via: Engadget Mobile]

Guest richair

Mixed feelings... Smape states that apart from the keyboard, the X1 is superior to Touch Pro, but apart from the screen resolution, i am not too sure.

If you don't use the device as a mediaplayer, the 3.5 mm jack is not an issue, and the X1 does not offer a tilt sensor (admittedly, that is more of a gimmick). Furthermore, it is somewhat larger and bound to be more expensive.

But still, it's a nice device...

Guest Syphon Filter

Yeah I'm not really seeing the appeal of this device any more. I have a Touch Pro and am very happy with it. The higher screen res of the Xperia is all I consider to be an advantage of this phone.

Guest richair
Yeah I'm not really seeing the appeal of this device any more. I have a Touch Pro and am very happy with it. The higher screen res of the Xperia is all I consider to be an advantage of this phone.

And even then... the non-standard 800x480 ratio might prevent some software from running. I am not too sure all software developers will make the effort to make sw WVGA-compatible.

And even then... the non-standard 800x480 ratio might prevent some software from running. I am not too sure all software developers will make the effort to make sw WVGA-compatible.

Most VGA apps I've tried work fine. Not too many problems to report. I also suspect that we'll be seeing more WVGA phones in the future.

Guest richair
* No hardware 3D acceleration

So i go for the Diamond Pro

I can hardly imagine this is true. The Panels require serious power.

I have not read prove but the general consensus in a Dutch forum I follow is that thsi should be taken with a grain of salt for now.

• 3 weeks later...
* Non-canon screen resolution

* No TV-out

* No hardware 3D acceleration

So i go for the Diamond Pro

Smape is entirely mistaken here - the Qualcomm website says:

Up to 4 million triangles per second, and 133 million depth-tested, textured 3D pixels per second fill rate.

It has the same 3D hardware accelerator as the Touch Pro.

• 3 weeks later...

Very studpid that Andersson decided to not put in TV-Out. Lots of people will not buy it due to that. No chance to use it for a video-player, for making presenations at work or simply for watching pictures and videos from holidays with the family on the tv. Today every high-end phone has this feature (HTC TouchPro, Nokia N96, Samsung Omnia etc.). Really silly.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.