I want to chuck my Omnia out the window

Guest dunc

...can anyone stop me?

When I go into contacts, with my input method set to samsung keypad I can't get it on to text input....there is a big T in the middle of the screen, but when I press it nothing happens, the keypad just stays on the numbers. I can change to symbols alright, but not to text...As I have over 1000 contacts in my phone this means it takes some time to find a contact. The phonepad is fine when I am in the phone side of it, but the problem also occurs in the calendar and in the inbox where I can't use the keypad to filter email. It's really irritating me now...Bizarrely, when I press the number keys, the corresponding letters do come out, but I have to either look at another phone or rack my brains to remember what letters correspond to the numbers.

So, is anyone going to come to the rescue of a largely innocent handset and tell me what has gone wrong here? I suspect registry corruption, although I have flashed new ROMS onto the phone and the problem has remained constant.

i have about 500 contact, and it works fine with the searching by keypad~~what rom version are u using now?

DXHH3 for phone and PDA, but problem started before this ROM...think it may have happened when I installed Mobile Shell 2

its cause of other software installed by you on the phone.. for me it doesnt work after i install diopen 6.0 on it. try and uninstalling your programs one by one and see if it works.

Guest Reuben (MY)

Hi dunc,

i might not get what you mean exactly, but from my understanding, do you mean you wanted to use samsung keypad when searching for contacts; with SPB shell installed? if that's the case, you have 2 options:

1) to continue using the existing SPB keypad, it works like other non-pda phone keypad, while you type, those name will be selected.

example if you want to look for Jason, you will need to press 5,2,7,6,6

2) if you feel wanna go back to original samsung phonebook without removing SPB, you can do that as well. simply hit the END CALL button while you're on SPB now screen, it should lead you back to the original samsung screen and from there you can click Start... etc...

if none the above applies, give it one last try, on samsung keyboard you'll see a space button at middle bottom, right side of it should be "sym123" or "text", try clicking on it and see if that's the button you missed out to change between sym/123 and alphabets?

Hi dunc,

i might not get what you mean exactly, but from my understanding, do you mean you wanted to use samsung keypad when searching for contacts; with SPB shell installed? if that's the case, you have 2 options:

1) to continue using the existing SPB keypad, it works like other non-pda phone keypad, while you type, those name will be selected.

example if you want to look for Jason, you will need to press 5,2,7,6,6

2) if you feel wanna go back to original samsung phonebook without removing SPB, you can do that as well. simply hit the END CALL button while you're on SPB now screen, it should lead you back to the original samsung screen and from there you can click Start... etc...

if none the above applies, give it one last try, on samsung keyboard you'll see a space button at middle bottom, right side of it should be "sym123" or "text", try clicking on it and see if that's the button you missed out to change between sym/123 and alphabets?

Thanks Reuben,

I wish it were that obvious. I understand how to toggle the different modes and kinds of input. The input method I like best is the Samsung Keypad. The problem I am having is that when I am, for example, in the inbox and I press the button to bring up the keypad so that I can type a few letters to find a particular email I cannot do so. When I press the big T at the top of the keypad to try to toggle between numbers and text I get Haptic feedback, but the mode does not change. It will only let me use numbers or symbols...

Thanks Reuben,

I wish it were that obvious. I understand how to toggle the different modes and kinds of input. The input method I like best is the Samsung Keypad. The problem I am having is that when I am, for example, in the inbox and I press the button to bring up the keypad so that I can type a few letters to find a particular email I cannot do so. When I press the big T at the top of the keypad to try to toggle between numbers and text I get Haptic feedback, but the mode does not change. It will only let me use numbers or symbols...

Hmmm, this is ringing bells from my Vario II. At one point whenever I pulled the keyboard out it would always default to having symbol toggled on - in a contact only numbers or letters are valid, so any keypress other than the number keys would result in no character. Similarly to you it always defaulted to on. I *think* I corrected it by pressing Caps then the Symbol toggle, which turned it off and it stayed off. Something like that anyway. HTH.

Guest Reuben (MY)
Thanks Reuben,

i did as you illustrated, opening up my inbox and display Samsung Keypad. i'm seeing the same as yours too ;) maybe it's because WM6.1 doesn't allow email seaching thus the option in Samsung Keypad cant response to it.

i did as you illustrated, opening up my inbox and display Samsung Keypad. i'm seeing the same as yours too ;) maybe it's because WM6.1 doesn't allow email seaching thus the option in Samsung Keypad cant response to it.

Glad that yours is doing the same (if you get my drift), but what you are saying is not quite true. Try changing to the Samsung keyboard while in your inbox and you will find that you can type letters and filter your inbox....assuming you have fingers small enough to hit those poxy keys!

Guest CashMonkey
Glad that yours is doing the same (if you get my drift), but what you are saying is not quite true. Try changing to the Samsung keyboard while in your inbox and you will find that you can type letters and filter your inbox....assuming you have fingers small enough to hit those poxy keys!

Mmm...this is a real issue. The solution isn't the above post suggests - that only works for new messages. This is the ability to filter by typing in letters inside the inbox, however neither Phonepad or Keypad let you actually activate the "T"...only solution for now is to change to keyboard.

Please note this Samsung developers .... surely you trawl through these posts.

Mmm...this is a real issue. The solution isn't the above post suggests - that only works for new messages. This is the ability to filter by typing in letters inside the inbox, however neither Phonepad or Keypad let you actually activate the "T"...only solution for now is to change to keyboard.

Please note this Samsung developers .... surely you trawl through these posts.

Glad I am not going mad and that everyone is seeing this problem. Except Samsung.

Out the window it is then....

Guest FutureDirt
If I understand correctly, all you guys need to do is press on the space you want to write in. The T9 will show up...

Exactly...

When you go into contacts you wont be able to use text input to find a contact until you click on where it says "Enter a name..." at the top of the contacts screen.

Simple

Exactly...

When you go into contacts you wont be able to use text input to find a contact until you click on where it says "Enter a name..." at the top of the contacts screen.

Simple

Yeah yeah FutureDirt, we know that but you are missing the point that is being made. Try this...

Open your email inbox and make sure that your input method is Samsung Keypad.

Now press the T...you will see that you are not able to change the mode to text input at all.

This means that you cannot filter your email inbox as you can on other devices.

It's annoying.

Also, it seems ridiculous that you have to click on enter name to filter your contacts...why else would you pull up the keyboard in your address book?

Guest FutureDirt
Yeah yeah FutureDirt, we know that but you are missing the point that is being made. Try this...

Open your email inbox and make sure that your input method is Samsung Keypad.

Now press the T...you will see that you are not able to change the mode to text input at all.

This means that you cannot filter your email inbox as you can on other devices.

It's annoying.

Also, it seems ridiculous that you have to click on enter name to filter your contacts...why else would you pull up the keyboard in your address book?

well.. your original post was about contacts... so i answered that.

i didnt read the rest of the thread fully and see that you are now whining about the same issue within your inbox...

so yeah... i agree... u suck... er... it sucks ;)

you can switch to MS keyboard to search through mail this way but i totally agree that you should be able to do it with Samsung Keypad.

Edited by FutureDirt

• 2 weeks later...
Guest quixander

dunc, I have the same problem as you described in your first post. I am on DXHH3 ROM and no third party applications installed. Only data in my omnia is my contacts - 1700+ of them.

If Omnia users who have less contacts in their database having no problems as ours then the problem may be with the way Omnia handles its contacts database.

Each time when I try to send an SMS, keyboard (tried all the input methods) becomes "extremely" sluggish. It takes over 2-3 minutes for phone to spring back to normal speed. I believe this performance hit is a result of Omnia trying to load contact in the background. If I open new sms window and try to choose a contact by clicking "To" link it takes around the same duration of delay until I see the contact lists.

In short, each time when I try to send an sms I have to wait ages for phone to load the contacts and I have to send out hundreds of sms daily. My crappy htc touch with 200MHz processor is able to deal with 3000+ plus contacts with no problems so does the HTC Touch pro that I just borrowed from a friend to confirm this problem is not related to windows mobile 6.1.

I will be contacting Samsung to see what they have to say about these problems. I'll let you know the result. In the mean time could you please let me know if you have the same problem as mine regarding the SMS issue?

Thanks in advance...

dunc, I have the same problem as you described in your first post. I am on DXHH3 ROM and no third party applications installed. Only data in my omnia is my contacts - 1700+ of them.

If Omnia users who have less contacts in their database having no problems as ours then the problem may be with the way Omnia handles its contacts database.

Each time when I try to send an SMS, keyboard (tried all the input methods) becomes "extremely" sluggish. It takes over 2-3 minutes for phone to spring back to normal speed. I believe this performance hit is a result of Omnia trying to load contact in the background. If I open new sms window and try to choose a contact by clicking "To" link it takes around the same duration of delay until I see the contact lists.

In short, each time when I try to send an sms I have to wait ages for phone to load the contacts and I have to send out hundreds of sms daily. My crappy htc touch with 200MHz processor is able to deal with 3000+ plus contacts with no problems so does the HTC Touch pro that I just borrowed from a friend to confirm this problem is not related to windows mobile 6.1.

I will be contacting Samsung to see what they have to say about these problems. I'll let you know the result. In the mean time could you please let me know if you have the same problem as mine regarding the SMS issue?

Thanks in advance...

Hi,

If you type say three letters into the to field of a new SMS, do you get a window coming up with suggestions (four of them) from your contacts database? Might take a second or two initially. Don't press To: just type into the field.

In short I don't notice a slowdown, but you are right it may well be to do with a background load of the contacts in your case. Have a dig around as I think you may be able to change the SMS app for the one on the HTC handsets...