Upgrading Advent 4211 / Wind from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest fliedrice

hi i need some help. i have installed mac os 10.4.8. it was installed grand but i open the applications or open kext files. i need to know how because i have no sound or video and i cant get onto the internet either so could you please help me

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MikeJT
NOTE: I have assumed that you have installed via my guide, any other setups will probably work but are untested ;)

Pre-requisities: Working system on 10.5.4!

1. Download 10.5.5 from here

2. Mount DMG

3. Run Terminal

4. Type 'sudo passwd' and enter your password

5. Set your root password (and confirm)

6. Type 'su root' and enter your password

7. Type 'while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done' (the terminal window should just 'freeze' (it's processing a loop))

8. Run the updater (MacOSXUpd10.5.5.pkg) from the volume you mounted earlier. When it completes do NOT restart

9. Switch back to the Terminal window

10. Press Ctrl-C

11. Type 'exit' (and then again) to close terminal window

12. Switch back to updater and press restart

13. Party on down! :D

NOTE: When the system boots, you'll need to reinstall the video drivers, just drop the kexts back onto the kext helper and reboot when prompted.

:)

P

PS Kudos to netkas for the handy command line!

Guest MikeJT

Pre-requisities: Working system on 10.5.4!

I never managed to get the Kalyway version to update to 10.5.4 successfully, I tried half a dozen times & each time was left with a broken machine. A friend pointed me at the WindOSX86 image, which is 10.5.4. I loaded that & it worked fine. Just to be safe as I knew it all worked, I added all of Pauls kexts etc. I had got the realtek wireless working under the kalyway image, but couldn't get it working with the WindOSX image (but suspect that was me...) I had bought a Broadcom airport card anyway when I first started playing with OSX, so I fitted that & I had a fully functional system ! I wanted to run iLife09, so I needed to get to 10.5.6, so I hit the "update software" button & ran the apple updater. I ended up with an updated system but had lost the keyboard & mouse. I went on the web, found this is a known issue & there is a package to fix it. Not wanting to start again, I tried pluging an external keyboard & mouse in which worked ! I downloaded the package, ran it, rebooted & the internal keyboard & mouse worked again. I now have a dual boot WinXP/OSX10.5.7 system & only boot windows to use my 3G dongle. My system has 3 partitions, WinXP, Leopard & a Shared FAT32 partition for music, photos etc. It has 2GB RAM & a 320GB disk - Its a beaut !

I bought a refurbished 4211 off PCWorld & built another for my daughter, I bought the family pack leopard & ilife09 as I am going to buy the Intel Atom PC chassis off Aria.co.uk & build a desktiop using the same image. I am a convert, shame Apple can't do a reasonably priced system like this !

I bought a 12V car adaptor & am about to order the 9 cell Wind battery I found on ebay, so I am fully mobile.

Regards,

Mike.