Omnia / Xperia X1 / Touch HD? What to buy next!

Guest Russ-ST24

Guest Russ-ST24

Ok now I am spoilt for choice and I dont know what to buy?

I currently own the following devices.

HTC Touch Diamond

HTC TyTN II (Retired in favour of the Diamond)

iPhone 2G (Jailbroke / unlocked)

I liked the keyboard on my TyTN II had a Mini S before that.

I love the screen on my iPhone and watching TV / Movies is great - Also love the ipod features (Mainly remembering where I last played a podcast)

I love the size of my Diamond for the pocket and the VGA screen.

So I am getting bored with my Diamond, nice phone but although I like the physical size for my pocket I find the actual screen size 2.8" a bit small and the restrictions of onscreen keyboard space is anoying. Also to make it last a day I have the extended battery so its now 14mm thick and heavier.

So what to buy! Dont want another iPhone as too limited for applications (running at the same time) and email options (Lotus Notes shop at work)

Omnia i900

---------

Same size screen as my iphone but I am concerned about the resolution? (even though the iphone does a good job with low res).

No miniUSB is also a put off as is no stylus.

Question: How is the onscreen kb? is it full qwerty and actually fits on the screen without obscuring everything?

Sony Xperia X1

--------------

Now I thought I would not be that bothered about this one, but now I have seen it in action I am very taken with it.

Like the physical KB. its only 16mm thick so only 2mm up on my diamond with the extended battery.

Like the resolution! a lot! I am conerned about how big the screen really is at only 3" is this in reality a lot bigger than the 2.8 on the diamond?

Heard different reports about the 3g bands on this device. I travel to US on business and would like 3g but its not essential. Most sites state all the 3g bands but on Mobility Today they moaned about it not working the US?

Panels look a nice idea also I get borded quick and being able to change the look and feel is appealing for the long term, unlike touchflow 3d which is locked down for the most part.

HTC Touch HD

------------

Screen is huge! but so is the device to be far seems wider than the iphone and I dont have large hands so although this device has great resolution and big big screen I am not sure if it will be too big for daily use.

Also I am starting to miss the extra hardware buttons on my diamond and this has even less.

Nice device though. But def no US 3g.

So thats my dilema? What to buy?

You see I am leaning towards to X1 but there is doubt, any thoughts, comments, suggestions.

I plan to buy which ever one sim free as I have a paid SIM from work.

Thanks

Russ

Guest Paul (MVP)
Same size screen as my iphone but I am concerned about the resolution? (even though the iphone does a good job with low res).

It is lower res of course than the Diamond, but coming FROM the Diamond, I generally didn't find it an issue. In browsing I guess it's not so sharp, but the extra size is worth it for me.

No miniUSB is also a put off as is no stylus.

Agreed, however a £5 investment in a car charger and an additional home charger and i'm coping ;) The stylus decision is an odd one, but TBH I very rarely use it nowadays on the Diamond or the Omnia!

Question: How is the onscreen kb? is it full qwerty and actually fits on the screen without obscuring everything?

It does, that tall screen really helps in that regard! The full QWERTY is OK, but I find the 20 key far far more usable.

Like the physical KB. its only 16mm thick so only 2mm up on my diamond with the extended battery.

Like the resolution! a lot! I am conerned about how big the screen really is at only 3" is this in reality a lot bigger than the 2.8 on the diamond?

Not massively...

Heard different reports about the 3g bands on this device. I travel to US on business and would like 3g but its not essential. Most sites state all the 3g bands but on Mobility Today they moaned about it not working the US?

I believe it WILL work in the US, there is a special version for T-Mo USA too.

Panels look a nice idea also I get borded quick and being able to change the look and feel is appealing for the long term, unlike touchflow 3d which is locked down for the most part.

I agree panels has great potential!

Screen is huge! but so is the device to be far seems wider than the iphone and I dont have large hands so although this device has great resolution and big big screen I am not sure if it will be too big for daily use.

I'm reserving judgement, but it's looking like an awesome screen for sure!

Also I am starting to miss the extra hardware buttons on my diamond and this has even less.

The only one I REALLY miss is the Camera button. Ditching that was plain stupid IMHO!

Nice device though. But def no US 3g.

Correct, no US 3G on Omnia either...

Guest Russ-ST24

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your input I know you have had the diamond and now the omnia and played with the Xperia at the launch.

One more question did you notice if the screen was recessed on the Xperia? I keep looking at pics and videos and cant make out if its totally flush.

Thanks

Russ

Guest Russ-ST24

Well I made my decision and have pre-ordered the Xperia X1 ;)

Missed my KB from the Kaiser and I think this device will be fun for a while until WM7 is out.

Thanks for your comments

Russ

This is the exact same question I was going to ask! Managed to avoid impulse buying on Omnia tonight, and Orange are giving me the run-around big style with my current contract so after a switch (11 years with them which counts for nothing it seems). After spending the last few hours reading every article on the Omnia and Xperia, the Xperia is nudging ahead. Main reasons are similar to the ones listed above by Russ...Panels idea, resolution, along with the keyboard, java capability and the looks etc.

The fact that a few mates have the Omnia and no one will have the Xperia is also a nice bonus :wacko:

I presume it's standard mini-usb 2 on the Xperia, can anyone confirm?

[edit] I'm still classed as a newbia? pffft, 5 1/2 years! ;)

Edited by timking

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WerKKill

What about the Touch Pro? I still haven't decided should I get any of the devices mentioned in the topic or the Touch Pro. I really liked my TyTn (I) when I still had it and I think I'd be happier with a hardware keyboard (still, the Omnia and Touch HD look so nice...).

Is the X1 just better than the Touch Pro?

Well I switched to the Omnia a couple of weeks ago (and soon upgraded the ROM to HI2) and I think it's a great device. Now that I've installed the HTC Manila 2D app it's even better! ;) The only thing that puts me off HTC devices at the moment is the poor camera but I believe these are seeing a big improvement at the moment. And as has been mentioned - resolution (VGA) verses screen space (WQVGA) - I think in my opinion the extra space wins hands down (unless someone works out a way of turning the HTC screens into 'True' VGA that is.

Guest Russ-ST24

Spec wise the Xperia and the Touch Pro are nearly the same. I think the Xperia has more RAM and a higher screen resolution (WVGA vs VGA)

Its really down to personal preference. I already have a touch diamond and have decided I really want a real keyboard again.

Also TouchFlow 3D is great, but non customisable so as I get borded quick I have already got used it on my Diamond so fancy a change.

So for me the new Panels interface is interesting and looks like I can change them often so should keep my interest for longer.

Reports from the touch pro also say it feels fat and out of proportion? I cant say as I have not touched one myself but from all the photos it looks a little dumpy.

The Xperia seem slightly longer but thinner. More in proportion.

I have made my choice on the Xperia and I have a nice 16GB MicroSD waiting here for it ;)

Russ

• 5 weeks later...
Guest shollywood

I had the Omnia and thought it was good but not great. Now, I'm on to the LG KC910 aka Renoir. Should be here in a couple days. The resolution seems good and the camera features are better than any other I have seen. If anyone has some insight on it please do tell.

Guest Natsirt
I had the Omnia and thought it was good but not great. Now, I'm on to the LG KC910 aka Renoir. Should be here in a couple days. The resolution seems good and the camera features are better than any other I have seen. If anyone has some insight on it please do tell.

oh it better have good imaging capabilities after taking its name from a famous Impressionist artist :lol:

I think all 3 devices are basically the same specs wise.. it all boils down to the nitty gritty little features like menus and texting and all that stuff... i'm a proud omnia owner and still learning to customise it =)

Guest WerKKill

Got me a Touch Pro. After almost a month of using it I'm quite happy. I am experiencing some problems with it, tho. The most annoying thing is that Opera keeps crashing quite often, especially when trying to download things - I don't think I've been able to download a single .cab file B)

Seems like programs randomly close or stay running in the background if I press the home button in order to try to keep them running in the background.

Am actually posting with the device (having some trouble, couldn't write in the actual text box... had to use html editing)

Is there a possibility to watch flash streams (other than YouTube) on the device? I've installed something from the Adobe site but it doesn't seem to work... Coreplayer has a function for watching streams but it seems to be quite picky on what it wants to play (or I'm just not using it right..

I'm sure I had something else to ask as well, but I forget B)

• 1 month later...
Guest Kuteguy

I rate the Omnia highly over the others. I had a LOT of problems (esp GPS) with the Omnia and Vodafone agree to give me a Touch Pro instead. I refused.

Later I found the problems were all because of the Vodafone firmware. When I upgraded to the generic Samsung firmware/ROM then the Omnia worked brilliantly and I wouldnt replace it with any other phone on the market (its small, sleek, stylish, well built, has 32gb of storage (16 gb ram and 16 gb microSD), GPS, 5 mp camera, tv-out, etc)

OMNIA . RULES .

Guest Sasimikun

I have a question regarding this same comparison, so I thought I should post here:

Currently, I own a Touch Diamond, but now i've gotten to option to swap it for a Omnia[8GB]. It seems like a pretty good deal, seeing how I do want to watch short clips etc on it and the Diamond's screen is a tad too small for it.[most of the clips are widescreen]

So I googled both and came across the GSMArena comparison. In the media section, they mentioned this: "The Samsung Omnia has a widescreen display that should generally be better at widescreen videos. But in reality, even widescreen videos looked better on the higher resolution Diamond screen. So here you go, that's another score for the Diamond VGA display. We guess the Diamond is a sealed deal already for movie aficionados."

So what I want to know is, do widescreen movies still look better on the diamond, simply because of the higher resolution? Or is the added benefit of a larger screen larger?[Preferably from someone who has or has had both]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest timbow

Hi i have had an XDA orbit and upgraded to an Omnia, i now had it for about 3 mouths now and it is a v good pda/phone.

u do get a stylus with it but it hangs off of the side as a phone gem thingy.

I don't use it i bought apiel prama leather case and you can slide a stylus down the side of the case.

i use the spb menu thingy which emulates a HTC interface, and makes the phone very usable.

I am a self employed plumber and i use the phone to run my business diary, via exchange, Full GPS running Copilot 7 which works fine. find it more than suits my needs.

The other thing is u an do video calling on it if u wish.

generally speaking i can much wrong with the omnia, it is one of the best alternatives to the iphone.

My phone takes quite a beating as i am a plumber so always got dirty hands and i have dropped it a few times and it is still working fine.

I bought of someone who didn't like it because of the gui, and was unaware that gui upgrades could be done for £120.00, Bargin i couldn't go wrong.

Like you i looked at several alternatives HTC, X1, and the Omnia, admitily i bought the Omnia because it was cheap. But i would still recommend it

• 4 months later...
Guest MobileSpoon

I actually use both Omnia and HD at the moment and I have to say both of them are very good.

The Omnia has a lot of nice custom applications, good performance and a cool optical D-Pad.

The HD had an AMAZING screen and a perfect design, but it lacks a D-Pad which is annoying.

I actually wrote a nice comparison between the HD and the Omnia. You are invited to take a look:

http://mobilespoon.blogspot.com/2009/05/samsung-omnia-vs-htc-touch-hd.html