My i900 initial impressions

Guest drcarlos

Guest drcarlos

Got my i900 yesterday (had to make a 60 mile round trip to pick it up from the courier depot as delivery was missed :lol: ).

Never I have anticipated a phones arrival so much, thinking finally this could be the one device to replace all.

Well it sure is a nice attractive device and the screen is huge and bright.

Powered it on and it picked up a nice strong 3g signal in my house and connected to my wifi fine.

Unfortunately my Tomtom mobile 5 doesn't work with it so I need to get iGO8 (seems to be highly recommended) so that's a bummer.

The music player fails to see most of my music collection which is 192kbps WMA but Windows media player found them fine, which is crap IMO support for this basic codec on a Windows device should be default.

Using the touchscreen is going to take time as I have never had a winmo touchscreen phone before so far it have been a little tricky.

So far I am undecided on the device I am going to play for a few days and get used to it before I make a further update.

Carl.

Got my i900 yesterday (had to make a 60 mile round trip to pick it up from the courier depot as delivery was missed :lol: ).

Never I have anticipated a phones arrival so much, thinking finally this could be the one device to replace all.

Well it sure is a nice attractive device and the screen is huge and bright.

Powered it on and it picked up a nice strong 3g signal in my house and connected to my wifi fine.

Unfortunately my Tomtom mobile 5 doesn't work with it so I need to get iGO8 (seems to be highly recommended) so that's a bummer.

The music player fails to see most of my music collection which is 192kbps WMA but Windows media player found them fine, which is crap IMO support for this basic codec on a Windows device should be default.

Using the touchscreen is going to take time as I have never had a winmo touchscreen phone before so far it have been a little tricky.

So far I am undecided on the device I am going to play for a few days and get used to it before I make a further update.

Carl.

i hope u get very interested in the phone just like most users on this forum :D

I also got an Omnia this week (Saturday) and have been thoroughly impressed. Now using firmware DXHJ1.

I still seem to have a few issues though, which if anyone can help fix I will greatly appreciate the help.

Though WiFi connects fine, full signal it still can't access the Internet. Ony when it's plugged with the USB into my PC does it connect (not so mobile Internet).

I have been trying to use iGo8, but the GPS doesn't work (though saying is fully operational, and enabling the setting in the software) insisting I am in Westminster, London (I am a few hundred miles West of this). Same for GMaps (Continually looking for GPS Signal)

However the device is very kool, I've been fiddling with it pretty much non-stop, looking for all the best software for it.

I've been surprised over the responsiveness of the touch screen and ease of use with my thumbs. The keyboards' predictive text has helped me out greatly.

Guest drcarlos

Well over the weekend I got and installed igo8, quite impressive (It will take time to get used to it's simplicity compared to my old TomTom Mobile 5 :lol: ) so thats good.

I found out reception in the building at work is poor (T-Mobile 3 bars max and lucky to get 3g) but outside is perfect so it must be the building as my service on Orange on my old phone wasn't great.

I am trialing Pocket Player as alternative to Touch player so we'll see how it goes.

Also ordered a car mount and charger from the bay so I can use the nav properly.

Still very much getting used to the device, but glad I don't have a Jesus Phone but seems like more of a God Phone :D .

Might look at some of the games in the games thread now as the essentials are covered (Phone, Music and Nav) I can move on to the fun stuff.

The GPS thing I allowed the XTRA stuff and let it connect once then switched it off and I get a fix within about 2 mins now which is fine for me.

Carl.