My storage2 created, files lost even after problem resolved, device hangs

Guest koeisjovis

Guest koeisjovis

I hope someone around here can help me. This is what happened:

I was using active sync and then wanted to switch to USB mass storage mode, which I tried by instantly changing the USB mode in the settings menu (of Samsung Today Screen 2) from active sync to USB mass storage. This is what went wrong: My Storage was renamed to My Storage2 and a new My Storage folder was created. I found a solution for this problem in this thread: My Storage Renamed and after a soft-reset, everything seemed to be fine. However, when connecting the device to the PC, My Storage appeared to be inaccessible. Same happened using active sync. I soft-resetted a couple of times and tried to connect to the pc again, all to no avail. My Omnia appears to have problems too finding the files on the storage card. Only a few folders are still present and a strange directory structure is created. My Storage now contains two folders named "." and "..", the first of which I cannot access. The ".." folder in turn contains the folders My device contains, including the My Storage folder, which in turn includes the "." and ".." folders, and so on! However, my files are nowhere to be found!

Also, filesys.exe crashes everytime I try to access a menu or program. It all seems like the memory got corrupted, which I think can be overcome by a hard-reset or formatting the storage card, however, I lost a huge amount of files, including photos, that I really would like to get back. Is there anyway to recover the device or the storage memory? Or, more general, does anyone have an idea which steps to undertake to fix the issue?

Edited by koeisjovis

Guest Omnia_1
I hope someone around here can help me. This is what happened:

I was using active sync and then wanted to switch to USB mass storage mode, which I tried by instantly changing the USB mode in the settings menu (of Samsung Today Screen 2) from active sync to USB mass storage. This is what went wrong: My Storage was renamed to My Storage2 and a new My Storage folder was created. I found a solution for this problem in this thread: My Storage Renamed and after a soft-reset, everything seemed to be fine. However, when connecting the device to the PC, My Storage appeared to be inaccessible. Same happened using active sync. I soft-resetted a couple of times and tried to connect to the pc again, all to no avail. My Omnia appears to have problems too finding the files on the storage card. Only a few folders are still present and a strange directory structure is created. My Storage now contains two folders named "." and "..", the first of which I cannot access. The ".." folder in turn contains the folders My device contains, including the My Storage folder, which in turn includes the "." and ".." folders, and so on! However, my files are nowhere to be found!

Also, filesys.exe crashes everytime I try to access a menu or program. It all seems like the memory got corrupted, which I think can be overcome by a hard-reset or formatting the storage card, however, I lost a huge amount of files, including photos, that I really would like to get back. Is there anyway to recover the device or the storage memory? Or, more general, does anyone have an idea which steps to undertake to fix the issue?

Yep you may still have a chance to get files back yet, however, remove your card immediately!

I use an app called R-Studio and have in the past been able to retrieve files from 2 formats earlier :lol: ..dont ever think wiping or deleting files is permanent!

Guest koeisjovis
Yep you may still have a chance to get files back yet, however, remove your card immediately!

I use an app called R-Studio and have in the past been able to retrieve files from 2 formats earlier :lol: ..dont ever think wiping or deleting files is permanent!

Thank you for your reply.

Will this work even when the data is corrupted?

I do not own a memory card reader and trying to access the device by pc is what possibly created the corruption, so I'm a little anxious to try it again this way. However, I'll try to find a way to succeed at this, but any other options are still welcome!