Omnia------>Iphone 3g

Guest danarc

Guest 3shirts
lol i was referring to the user interface in particular when i said OS. Am sure u know that very OS has own interface right? am not making it personal. i have made a decision and i dont expect u to necessary agree to it but am sure other can understand what i mean

Who is being personal? I was just making the point that an OS is far more than it's UI. Windows has a great UI but the OS is pretty poorly designed. Equally most Linux distros are very well made OS' but the UI is mostly fairly basic.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest WearTheFoxHat

The iphone has got a very nice user interface, which is why I have an iPod Touch.

BUT my reasons for getting the omnia over an iphone are:

* iPhone stuck on 02 network ... which is terrible round here

* Lack of background applications. Yes, your email might be push, but it won't check email in background.

* Limited bluetooth connectivity

* Poor camera.

* Lack of tethering

I must say I do like the app store, I like the Safari browser with multitouch ... but it's not enough to win me over. If it were on T-Mobile ... I might be VERY tempted to get one.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Just read the rest of this thread.

I'm happy for debate to continue. But let's not have it getting personal, or a flame war. ... or it will get locked.

Guest samjuan
The iphone has got a very nice user interface, which is why I have an iPod Touch.

BUT my reasons for getting the omnia over an iphone are:

* iPhone stuck on 02 network ... which is terrible round here

* Lack of background applications. Yes, your email might be push, but it won't check email in background.

* Limited bluetooth connectivity

* Poor camera.

* Lack of tethering

I must say I do like the app store, I like the Safari browser with multitouch ... but it's not enough to win me over. If it were on T-Mobile ... I might be VERY tempted to get one.

* there is the official unlocked iPhone 3g which is cheeper than the Omnia!!!

* multitasking "if you mean it" is not global, however push "and fetch" mail works fine, I have yahoo and mobileme!!! and I recieve emails instantly...

* you mean bluetooth services... that is entirely true...

* precisely, and no video too... what a shame.

* tethering?

* to add to the list, no copy and paste capabilities... but I really couldn't feel it that bad any way!!!

Guest respider

I totally understand you...

I like tweaks, nerd programs,and all, thats why I'm sticking with Windows Mobile for some time...

What I like the most in iphone is the capacitive screen and its sensitiveness, its great!

I sold my Omnia and got a Touch Pro... I still miss the camera and great flash, but screen sensitiveness in touch pro is waaaay better than Omnia, but way worse than iphone

the perfect combination would be a capacitive screen with stylus, dont know if its possible tho....

totally agree that UI in iphone is great too, but I dont like the apple-way-of-life... I'm putting my coins in android, maybe in a year I'll get one of those...

great thread, no big flames, just arguing... nice!

I love this forum

I totally understand you...

I like tweaks, nerd programs,and all, thats why I'm sticking with Windows Mobile for some time...

What I like the most in iphone is the capacitive screen and its sensitiveness, its great!

I sold my Omnia and got a Touch Pro... I still miss the camera and great flash, but screen sensitiveness in touch pro is waaaay better than Omnia, but way worse than iphone

the perfect combination would be a capacitive screen with stylus, dont know if its possible tho....

totally agree that UI in iphone is great too, but I dont like the apple-way-of-life... I'm putting my coins in android, maybe in a year I'll get one of those...

great thread, no big flames, just arguing... nice!

I love this forum

great comment i like the comparasion

Guest phillipxenxciel

i too have the same mind loving the smoothness and all the goodness of iphone, but still i kind of like my omnia~~so i did not buy a iphone.....................................i bought a 2gen itouch and keep my omnia XDDDDDD problem solved

Edited by phillipxenxciel

Guest samjuan
i too have the same mind loving the smoothness and all the goodness of iphone, but still i kind of like my omnia~~so i did not buy a iphone.....................................i bought a 2gen itouch and keep my omnia XDDDDDD problem solved

Smart, however here comes the new limitation... having two devices with you all the time?

My point is, upload 12GB of music to iPhone and Omnia, and lets see how they handle them and how easy and actually fun it is to listen? how about pitures? try uploading 3GB of photos to iPhone and Omnia, and let see "again" how actually they handle them and how fun, smooth and joy it is to view them? ok how about browsing the internet? try this and that and then decide, what about reading you emails... how about making and receiving phone calls? etc...

What I mean is, get the iPhone and the Omnia side by side, do the things that you really do more than 5 times a day everyday on both, and then decide who is better.

I don't even wanna go into the applications and games department!!!

Guest WearTheFoxHat
* there is the official unlocked iPhone 3g which is cheeper than the Omnia!!!

* multitasking "if you mean it" is not global, however push "and fetch" mail works fine, I have yahoo and mobileme!!! and I recieve emails instantly...

* you mean bluetooth services... that is entirely true...

* precisely, and no video too... what a shame.

* tethering?

* to add to the list, no copy and paste capabilities... but I really couldn't feel it that bad any way!!!

* unlocked ... yes application unlocked, but not SIM unlocked. If there are, then where?

* Correct no multitasking and no background processes. Okay maybe mail works in the background, but there are plenty of other apps which don't.

* Correct @ bluetooth.

* -

* Tethering ... connecting phone to laptop to share the HSDPA or 3G connectivity of the handset. Quite common in Windows Mobile.

Yes, and copy n paste, but I understand there are appstore apps to get around that.

Oh and also I believe that you can't have proper navigation software on the iphone either, unlike tomtom on the Omnia.

Guest Akshay_LP

In a nutshell, iPhone is the for the people who pretty out of the box working phone, which it is and its fairly smooth.

But, good interface !=good OS

The OS X mobile OS is an almost fail to qualify for an advanced OS.

So many limitations, no copy paste, but main disadvantages of iPhone:

Very, very limited customization of the interface

Lame, crappy, almost equal to none camera

Developers not allowed to make web browsers, gps apps, anything the iPhone already does

Makes you think you're a kid and you're supposed to do what Apple says. (Sorry, honestly, I don't like apple telling me what to do and what not.)

No multitasking?? Sad.

Very limited. Very.

Whereas the omnia is a phone which you will absolutely admire and love after spending a week of tweaks and customization. You can tailor almost every part of the OS to your very specific needs. Really awesome. Superior hardware.

And another thing is, and I'm sure, and I hope I'm right, is that, one day I'll be able to dualboot with WM and Android, or atleast install Android on it.

And yes, omnia is for tech-savvy people who can cope with slightly complex problems. But you get them all done once, its pure pleasure.

I do agree the screen in the omnia isn't as good(resolution, brightness, resistive vs. capacitive) but you'll get used to it.

Also omnia's max storage is 32gb already sold in India(with 16gb microSD) and in other places aswell. So double the room for storage and theoratical max. storage is 48gb(32gb microSD) so thats a good thing.

So, yeah, Omnia all the way for me, depends on what your requirements and expectations are.

Edited by Akshay_LP

Guest Massive Attack

i dont get why iPhone owners always says "it just works" as if omnia "just doesnt work", tweaking and customizing omnia doesnt mean it doesnt work on the 1st place, its just that omnia allows itself to be customized, unlike iPhone which yes, "just works" also "works only the way apple tells you to"

and besides, "just works" does copy and paste "just works" on iPhone? no

sms forwarding "just works"? nope, its "would work if you installed 3rd party apps"

tethering "just works"? no.

Guest Emre SUMENGEN

It's really getting into a flamewar, I believe...

And, let me tell you the best between the iPhone and the Omnia: Having them both :lol: Yep, I do have them both and I believe it's the best.

The two are from different worlds. Omnia has the advantage of hardware and greater source for 3rd party apps. The iphone (3g, in my case) has the "just works", "os stability" and "ui" advantages. Also, the iphone screen is unbeatable, not only by omnia, but any phone (i haven't seen g1 yet). Multitouch is perfect, being capacitive makes an enourmous difference in sensitivity. The graphics are fast, accelerometer is accurate (more than omnia's, by experience), the screen readability is much further than of any standard pressure-based display WM devices have. The looks are absolutely amazing with the iphone.

But, as you see, there are much I hate about the iphone, too. Not being able to search through my hundreds of emails is just unbearable (but it does sync in background while using push-mail). Safari is very good, much much better renders pages than even Opera (which is the best web browser in WM IMHO), but it just doesn't show Flash content, even with 2.1 version. And the lack of these (and much more small glitches) features make me need a "REAL" pda.

I can't leave the iphone either...

So, I guess it's the best to have them both. So that, WM can handle my emails with FlexMail, I can use gps offline with it (without the need to do some nerd-stuff tweaking and hacking) and have my photos with it. All the while, I can enjoy the nice web browsing on the iphone, the fabulous facebook app and the nice games...

Guest saznpins

I've compared side by side the iPhone 2G and Kaiser and then 3G and Omnia. I really love the simple, intuitive UI of the iPhone and I agree that Safari is the best mobile browser out there. There is just something appealing about the whole iPhone experience that I can't really put into words... though in both cases I sold or returned the iPhone and kept the WM device within about a week.

I've been using some form of Windows on my handhelds since the original Ipaq 3650 in 2000 (or even earlier if you count CE on my old Cassiopea in the late 90s), so WM is comfortable and familiar to me and it does so much more than the iPhone right out of the box. There is no need to search the app store for things to fill in the gaps. So the Omnia is a keeper for me. I always end up going back to WM.

But, for those who choose the iPhone... enjoy! I do understand it's allure. :lol:

Guest kslakhani

I dont understand why ppl always complain abt touch sensitivity. I agreed Omnia has a bit less sensitive TC but I dont have any probs at all. All you need to do is practice a bit.

At the biginning I hated the in built Keyboard and tried a loads of diff KBs but after a bit play around now have to admit that it has a best and fast KB.

And there you are you got a new customised better ROM already in this site and i believe in future you will get more n more from this slim yet powerfull toy

The bettery life is really make me satisfied. Two days wow what you expect from it 10 days!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Pille69
In 6 months or 6 years when I have my 100GB HTC with 20 mega pixel camera, mind reading UI, coffee making bread toasting PDA, Apple will just release something with a built in camera I don't know why it is I just dislike Apple and their overpriced products.

wauu - that phone replace the girl. then you can save money and nervs as well ;-)

to be honest - the once thing what impressed me on the iphone is the display. nothing more.

i agree with you that the iphone is more unfriendly but this is a strategy from the old/gammel apple. the less the user can do the less support calls, problems will face the user. Apple deside what you can do on your phone.

that thread is a complete personal opinen and vorliebe.

people are different. some prefer iphone some omnia

i use a windows mobile since 1 year now

first at all its a bit of work to get all running like you want (show me that on symbian, apple or android)

many programmers, themer, grafikfreaks out there which supply us with the sickest tool/programmsa. and i love it.

the omnia is a killer and it will take at least a half year till anybody publish a better phone (soesnt matter from whom)

Regards

Pille with Omnia

Guest starflare04

well my history is different those are my personal thoughs.

BTW im not an apple hater, i love apple products especially i love my macbook pro.

my history is from Iphone -----> Omnia.

i loved the iphone and at the same time i hate it...

why i loved:

1.- The UI is great, the keyborad is fast & responsive....

2.- the screen is marvelous, 16M colors and scratch resistant. increible for videos.

3.- Safari is the best for Web browser.

4.- It has cool games even that the library is short.

Why i hate it...

1.- The speaker is a joke... is no loud at all, after buying the omnia this was a nice surprise for me, is the best loud speaker i have ever had in a phone, and the iphone the worst.

2.- You can not remove the battery.... (is the only phone i had with this nice feature.... sarcasm...)

3.- Bluetooth without A2DP.... Useless, great for call but not for music.

4.- I love music and more with my Shure SE530 headphones, using the iphone is nice and simple.... but the sound quality is a joke... is the same with the ipod... the touch player on the omnia is a joke as well, but i can add additional audio players to the omnia that delivers best sound, i cant do this with the iphone.

5.- Since there are not dedicated GPS software on the iphone, you have to live with google maps that is not bad, but you need 3g connection all the time.. on Omnia i have Garmin mobile running not paying 3g connection and working great!

6.- The iphone camera is bad, the omnia is not the best, but after some tweaks it delivers better shots than iphones camera and you have flash.

7.- Bad Reception and call quality... with the omnia is different history.

And the additional features the omnia had over the iphone like the additional Micro storage, the hands free with the jack to use another headphones, better batery and there two additional things that i dont use but is good to mention MMS and front camera.

Made for me that the Omnia is best value over the iphone, so i sold my iphone, got a Iphone 3g, sold iphone 3g, got a LG dare, sold a LG dare, got an Omnia.. end.

Dont get me wrong the iphone has the best OS but without a good hardware....

The Omnia has the best hardware on a phone at the moment for me, so i just need to tweak the software to have a best balanced all-1 device.

And you are in Modaco forums to start tweaking... so...

well my history is different those are my personal thoughs.

BTW im not an apple hater, i love apple products especially i love my macbook pro.

my history is from Iphone -----> Omnia.

i loved the iphone and at the same time i hate it...

why i loved:

1.- The UI is great, the keyborad is fast & responsive....

2.- the screen is marvelous, 16M colors and scratch resistant. increible for videos.

3.- Safari is the best for Web browser.

4.- It has cool games even that the library is short.

Why i hate it...

1.- The speaker is a joke... is no loud at all, after buying the omnia this was a nice surprise for me, is the best loud speaker i have ever had in a phone, and the iphone the worst.

2.- You can not remove the battery.... (is the only phone i had with this nice feature.... sarcasm...)

3.- Bluetooth without A2DP.... Useless, great for call but not for music.

4.- I love music and more with my Shure SE530 headphones, using the iphone is nice and simple.... but the sound quality is a joke... is the same with the ipod... the touch player on the omnia is a joke as well, but i can add additional audio players to the omnia that delivers best sound, i cant do this with the iphone.

5.- Since there are not dedicated GPS software on the iphone, you have to live with google maps that is not bad, but you need 3g connection all the time.. on Omnia i have Garmin mobile running not paying 3g connection and working great!

6.- The iphone camera is bad, the omnia is not the best, but after some tweaks it delivers better shots than iphones camera and you have flash.

7.- Bad Reception and call quality... with the omnia is different history.

And the additional features the omnia had over the iphone like the additional Micro storage, the hands free with the jack to use another headphones, better batery and there two additional things that i dont use but is good to mention MMS and front camera.

Made for me that the Omnia is best value over the iphone, so i sold my iphone, got a Iphone 3g, sold iphone 3g, got a LG dare, sold a LG dare, got an Omnia.. end.

Dont get me wrong the iphone has the best OS but without a good hardware....

The Omnia has the best hardware on a phone at the moment for me, so i just need to tweak the software to have a best balanced all-1 device.

And you are in Modaco forums to start tweaking... so...

couldnt say it better :lol: +++

Guest Omnia_1
Am just bored with phone, windows could be improved but microsoft aint bothered to and there aint many good games for windows. Omnia might have much more features but u cant deny the fact that the iphone has little exciting features but puts it above the omnia.

you are free to comment. :lol: just be nice lol.....

Why couldn't you have gone off to your iphone thread without saying anything? What is the actual purpose or where is the contribution to the thread that tittles, Modaco>Device Specific>Samsung>i900_Omnia? \

The FACT is no one give a big brown smelly turd about what device you want to use or what UI you prefer!

It seems obvious you either have a problem with this forum or you just don't understand Windows Mobile. Again this is not about device as to more UI or OS and I would like to stress again Windows Mobile has been around nearly 7yrs and hasn't changed its UI all that much, therefore you must have known about the WinMo UI before purchasing i900, yes? I thought you were a tech wizard or something?

None of us WM uses go over to Apple forums and start flame-wars and its because we are content with our device and OS. Someone here mentioned the i900 has been marketed the wrong way and that may be true, however, if you just ran out and bought the first thing you saw and now you don't understand how to use it or don't like it, tough luck! your bad luck buddy, we don't need to hear about it though, this thread is neither constructive nor does it have anything to do with the genre of this website. Go to your iphone thread, good riddance!

Guest samjuan
* unlocked ... yes application unlocked, but not SIM unlocked. If there are, then where?

* Correct no multitasking and no background processes. Okay maybe mail works in the background, but there are plenty of other apps which don't.

* Correct @ bluetooth.

* -

* Tethering ... connecting phone to laptop to share the HSDPA or 3G connectivity of the handset. Quite common in Windows Mobile.

Yes, and copy n paste, but I understand there are appstore apps to get around that.

Oh and also I believe that you can't have proper navigation software on the iphone either, unlike tomtom on the Omnia.

* I have the official unlocked "works with any sim, you can update through itunes and everything, exactly like the unlocked Omnia" the only thing is that you cannot install application out of the itunes store, which is a limitation, however it has hundreds of free applications "even car dynos, proper shazam music ID, games..." and literally thousands of paid applications. check this out: http://store.apple.com/hk/browse/home/shop...one?mco=MTE2NTQ

* and there are applications that work in the background, it is amazing how people in the WM world are crying to make the close "x" really close the application not only minimize it and strive to develop and install applications that can do that, while in the apple world people want the opposite!

* -

* -

* oh yeah... that, what a shame, however there are many solutions on the net, without jailbreaking or cracking the phone though...

* nice to hear about the copy and paste, I should check it out.

Guest samjuan
i dont get why iPhone owners always says "it just works" as if omnia "just doesnt work", tweaking and customizing omnia doesnt mean it doesnt work on the 1st place, its just that omnia allows itself to be customized, unlike iPhone which yes, "just works" also "works only the way apple tells you to"

and besides, "just works" does copy and paste "just works" on iPhone? no

sms forwarding "just works"? nope, its "would work if you installed 3rd party apps"

tethering "just works"? no.

Well to none tech savvy people "which I can say more than 90%" they want something that just work, I am not one of them of course.

sms forwarding? are you serious? it is working since an early release!!! have even tried to work on an iPhone lately?

tethering... I just mentioned there are ways "for tech savvy people" to do it out of the box! :lol:

why do you to customize something that all other mobile owners want to mimic? look at this Omnia thread alone and you'll understand!!!

Oh and yeah, you will miss MMS and email attachements as well in the iPhone!!! but then again, "sigh" ....

its funny, isn't it? :D

Guest samjuan
It's really getting into a flamewar, I believe...

And, let me tell you the best between the iPhone and the Omnia: Having them both :lol: Yep, I do have them both and I believe it's the best.

The two are from different worlds. Omnia has the advantage of hardware and greater source for 3rd party apps. The iphone (3g, in my case) has the "just works", "os stability" and "ui" advantages. Also, the iphone screen is unbeatable, not only by omnia, but any phone (i haven't seen g1 yet). Multitouch is perfect, being capacitive makes an enourmous difference in sensitivity. The graphics are fast, accelerometer is accurate (more than omnia's, by experience), the screen readability is much further than of any standard pressure-based display WM devices have. The looks are absolutely amazing with the iphone.

But, as you see, there are much I hate about the iphone, too. Not being able to search through my hundreds of emails is just unbearable (but it does sync in background while using push-mail). Safari is very good, much much better renders pages than even Opera (which is the best web browser in WM IMHO), but it just doesn't show Flash content, even with 2.1 version. And the lack of these (and much more small glitches) features make me need a "REAL" pda.

I can't leave the iphone either...

So, I guess it's the best to have them both. So that, WM can handle my emails with FlexMail, I can use gps offline with it (without the need to do some nerd-stuff tweaking and hacking) and have my photos with it. All the while, I can enjoy the nice web browsing on the iphone, the fabulous facebook app and the nice games...

I could not agree more, just a simple question though, can we search though emails in the Omnia?

Guest bobobird

This is too good not to pass on ---

I was at a reception the other day, Omnia in pocket and just chatting. A guy a few steps away took out his iphone and started playing around all the while stealing glances to see if he was getting any attention. I can't stand show-offs, so took out the Omnia and asked the people I was chatting with to stand together so I could take a picture. He looked over, saw the phone and quielty slipped his back into its holder.

Happened again today in a restaurant, Omnia was on the table and a friend picked it up. The guy at the next table had been playing with his iphone for quite a while. Looked over saw the Omnia and like the other guy quietly slipped his back in his jacket.

Give it a try - could be fun.

Guest Pille69
I could not agree more, just a simple question though, can we search though emails in the Omnia?

no - but i have my outlook where is the omnia connected and i can search there.

plz stop that thread.

omnia have positive and negative thinks and apple as well. it is just up to you what you prefer.

your own taste.

that is a wm6x omnia forum and not a apple forum

plz close that thread

its pointless

and just for info

Multitasking: A single CPU Device cant be multitasking. Multitasking descript the method of "one process at the same time". Simple explained: Process 1 must be finish then the share common processing resources work on process 2

Even Omnia is not multitaking able

UI - should be called GUI (Graphical user interface) allwoed the humen to interact with electronic devices. that is the coloured icons what you see on the display