Step by Step: Learn To Cook Custom ROM

Guest PaSSoA

Guest pepech
Right, I need glasses. Where did you see a *lite* WM6.1 DXID1 ROM? Especially ones without that bloated fullscreen volume tweak. ;)

I think shokka's ROMs are nice, but AFAIK he only released a WM6.5 DXID1 ROM, and called it his last? :D

Either way, I'm still interested in building my own ROMs anyway. :D

Shokka has released dozens of WM 6.1 Roms with build 20270 or 20757 or 20958 since december

some with MD2 , some lights

So , once more , searching before posting is always better

just take a look HERE( this search took me about five seconds )

Edited by pepech

Guest Bouvrie
Right, I need glasses. Where did you see a *lite* WM6.1 DXID1 ROM? Especially ones without that bloated fullscreen volume tweak. ;)

I think shokka's ROMs are nice, but AFAIK he only released a WM6.5 DXID1 ROM, and called it his last? :D

Either way, I'm still interested in building my own ROMs anyway. :D

Could be me, but I still don't see any DXID1 based WM6.1 roms?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Perali

Hi there,

Is it possible to cook a new rom from an original (Samsung) rom with all the original packages but, installing them straight to the MyStorage instead to the memory storage?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest omid66613

hi

thanks for ur gream instruction

I've coocked a rom BUT i don't know how to edit registry keys.

for example i want to do something with storage and something like that,i have a lot of registry keys BUT i don't know how i can edit them when i'm making a rom...(i mean before coocking a rom)

could anyone help me plz

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry guys if I sound as developmentally delayed child on this forum. Everyone here seems to be quite knowledgeable. I'm totally new to the whole cooking idea but I do want to try. Sure, I'm afraid to brick my phone but curiosity is stronger. I've been hesitant to try for quite some time but well... better later then never.

Anyway, I've tried to do things step by step (ms visual c++ is installed); however, attempting to drop updater.exe to exe.cmd has been given me the same message over and over again:

Extracting ROM. Please Wait......

OS ROM Partition Tool V1.48 By Weisun :> PDAclan.com

ERROR - Can not open the source file

The system cannot find the file specified.

Extracting Imgfs. Please Wait......

Extracting XIP. Please Wait......

usage dumprom file.nb

Extracting OEM and SYS. Please Wait.......

Clean-up of unnecessary files......

Could Not Find C:\i900Rom\pda.*

Could Not Find C:\i900Rom\imgfs.bin

Could Not Find C:\i900Rom\XIP.bin

All ROM files have been extracted. Start BuildROM after customisation......

I'm using Vista.

What should I try to do?

• 5 weeks later...
Guest wonderbread

Beginner question incoming!

I'm wanting to make my own ROM (I've read your tut. and understand it) but the problem is - I've got no idea which base ROM I should use.

If it makes a difference my language is english and I'm in Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

For all ppl with *.rgu file searching problems. Did that on Vista but it should be similar on XP.

Explorer -> Organize -> Folder and Search Options -> View -> UNCHECK "Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended).

Ofc you must check Show hidden files and folders.

That should do :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dannytelo
Alot of people have been asking for this and although there are many tutorials on how to cook your own ROM, this is specific to the i900 kitchen by the guys at PDAclan and mrtoto tools from PDAMobiz, so thanks for all the great tools. I will not be going through stuff like creating your packages and such as there are many tutorials on that. Only things releated to the i900 kitchen will be focused on.

As with real cooking, different people have different ways of doing things, so this is the way I prefer to do it.

Edit: Before starting, please make sure you have the latest framework installed, you can get it here, if not the tools will not function properly and errors will occur.

- First get either a .exe updater or PDA.bin (rename if you must) file and dump it in the root directory. Drag and drop either the .exe to extractrom_exe or PDA.bin to extractrom_bin

i900RomKit01.jpg

- If you used a .exe updater, the eboot, csc and phone .bin files will be extracted out, you need these files for later, when repacking the .exe installer.

i900RomKit02.jpg

- Once extracting is done, there will be OEM/SYS folders and a new XIP folder in ROM.

i900RomKit03.jpg

- You should see these folders in OEM (left) and SYS (right)

i900RomKit04.jpg

- These are the apps found in OEM/OEMApps. Open the .rgu which contains registry settings in Notepad. As an example, if you delete the file secst.dll in the OEMApps folder, then you must delete the entry in the .rgu too.

i900RomKit05.jpg

- Another example... After you delete an app and rgu entries, go to initflashfiles.dat in OEM/OEM_Lang_0409 and search for more references to the files.

i900RomKit06.jpg

- After removing files, you will need to add your own custom apps in the form of packages, if you do a search on them, there will many tutorials on that. I am not going into it as it is pretty standard stuff.

i900RomKit07.jpg

- Once you're happy with removing and adding your customisations, it is time to build your ROM. Go back to the root directory and drag OS.nb to BuildROM. Click the green play button and you're on your way.

i900RomKit08.jpg

- Once that's done, you will have a NewROM.bin file which you must rename to PDA.bin. Remember the csc, eboot and phone files earlier, it must all be in the same directory. (I prefer to create a new directory for this)

i900RomKit09.jpg

- Open your command prompt and start packing your new ROM. Once all files are packed, you will have your new updater which you run to update your device. As usual, make sure you have proper modem drivers installed.

i900RomKit10.jpg

You're Done!

That's pretty much it, the hard part would be during customisation where you have to make sure all references to the app you wish to remove are properly deleted. When there are duplicated files or registry entries, it will throw you an error during building, so watch out for that.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to ask and I will try to answer them when I can.

Cheers!

Hi, can u pls help me out with this, it's something which i can't solved.

Works fine till here: where u say.......

You should see these folders in OEM (left) and SYS (right)

But i don't see this, and everything is ok like i just said, till this faze.

Tks in advance!

• 2 months later...
Guest tripplesixx

I downloaded an original rom from samsung..

It is wm6.1 how to make it wm6.5?

Can I use any Cooked wm6.5 rom from here to merge them?

I get system is locked error.

OEM folder is blank, all hidden files and extensions are enabled in Windows.

Tried on Win 7 & Xp Pro.

No go.

Any suggestions?

modaco.bmp

Edited by tripplesixx

• 5 months later...
Guest plumsauce

@Passoa

A batch based tool is so much better than using a visual shell

which hides all of the inner workings. And really, if you look

under the covers, they are just taking the parameters and

pumping out shell commands to the same or similar tools.

Having every step exposed and under direct control means

a better understanding of the process. It is also much easier

to troubleshoot than a visual shell that might only tell the

user that something went wrong but hides the output of the

real command that did the work.

Still working out the modifications to the batch files, but just bought

you a coffee anyways :(

BTW, are there new versions of the tools? If so an update to the

archive would be greatly appreciated. pdaclan.com is incomprehensible

to me.

Edited by plumsauce

• 8 months later...

@Passoa

i having some problems with your i900 rom kitchen

here is my problem when the extraction is done nothing is in the OEM /SYS folder and there is no new XIP

93142140.th.jpg

Help please

Edited by Guest