UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest jakedoza
Anubis: I'm having problems getting GPSTest to run now (I had to modify it because I don't have a memory card to save the log to), it runs every once and a while, but it's not that reliable. I only got 2 device challenges from the log, neither time it ran, but the "A's" were 52 76, and the Y's were also constant. Once it runs correctly again, I will take a loog at the "A's" again.

Edit: Looking at the log from it when it was working (didn't get a fix because I'm at work and inside a building), I see a lot of:

oGPSSetDeviceParam( GPS_DEVICE_PARAM_GPS_START_FIX ) failed - 00000006

StartFix failed!
This time when it ran, the "A's" were 40 76, while the Y's stayed the same. When the "A's" were 00 00 later in the log, I got
oGPSGetPosition failed - 2000010a

I left GPSTest running for 5 minutes, and it looks like it lost it's device challenge mid way through (not sure if exact time since it is not time stamped).

Where can I find the log?

Guest WoZZeR999

In the original App, it's in "\Storage Card\TestApp\gpstest.log", which is on the memory card I believe.

You'll have to make the folder TestApp in the memory card (not "My Storage") first.

Guest WoZZeR999

Jake, had you changed anything over stock? I did a hard reset to make sure everything was wiped (full reprogram too), and I can't get the same correct GPS location ratio. You get almost all correct.

I forgot I probably wiped my QPST settings with the reprogramming, so I'll try enabling oneGPS again with QPST when I get home later.

Edited by WoZZeR999

Guest M Moogle
M Moogle: Is the stgps.dll included in that zip the stock copy for the i910 (the date makes it appear to be the stock copy)? I noticed the date on gpsapi.dll is back in September when gpssrv was written for the XV6800. I'm curious if the changes done for the XV6800 need to be redone using the i910's dll (just as oemgpsOne.dll)

Quoting from skywing's doc:

Specifically, as oemgpsOne.dll depends on gpsapi.dll, attempting to simply replace gpsapi.dll with a custom module will break the very oemgpsOne.dll functionality used to communicate with the GPS intermediate driver, due to the previously mentioned "one dll for a given base name" Windows Mobile limitation. In addition, it is not possible for two programs to simply simultaneously operate full clients of oemgpsOne.dll, as the challenge-response mechanism operates globally and will not operate correctly should two applications simultaneously attempt to engage it.

The most straightforward solution to the former issue is to simply rename a copy of the stock gpsapi.dll, and then modify oemgpsOne.dll to refer to the renamed gpsapi.dll. This opens the door to replacing the system-supplied gpsapi.dll with a custom replacement gpsapi.dll implementing a client for oemgpsOne.dll.

What I did is take the Omnia's gpsapi.dll and rename it to stdgps.dll. Then I hex-edited Omnia's oemgpsOne.dll to reference stdgps.dll instead of gpsapi. Then I took the gpsapi.dll from the original GPSServer files and left it as-is. I don't think it needs any modifiying since it doesn't reference any hardware-specific functions, it only "proxys" data between the calling application and gpssrv.exe. Does that seem right to everyone else?

Guest M Moogle

Here's a copy of one of my logs from gpssrv.exe. Its a log from when you start gpstest.exe and gpssrv.exe at nearly the same time so gpsserver sorta works. It gets valid data most of the time.gpslog.zip

Guest jakedoza
Jake, had you changed anything over stock? I did a hard reset to make sure everything was wiped (full reprogram too), and I can't get the same correct GPS location ratio. You get almost all correct.

I forgot I probably wiped my QPST settings with the reprogramming, so I'll try enabling oneGPS again with QPST when I get home later.

I havent really changed much as far as the gps goes.. I did the regedit to show the external GPS... I have installed google maps and iGO8 and I did install GPSGate, but I unistalled GPSGate before I ran this log.. as far as .dll files I installed the HTC stuff for the games but nothing else.

Guest Anubis119
Here's a copy of one of my logs from gpssrv.exe. Its a log from when you start gpstest.exe and gpssrv.exe at nearly the same time so gpsserver sorta works. It gets valid data most of the time.gpslog.zip

While using the gpsserver dll files (placed in the \Windows and \Program Files\GPSServer as necessary), I can't get gpstest to run -- I always get a message that GPSSec couldn't be initialized. Do you have your files placed/configured differently, or swapping the files back and forth, or am I overlooking something?

As far as I can tell, gpstest uses osmgpsOne.dll which should reference stgps.dll (at least as I recall). My memory is a bit off tonight, so I could be way off here.

Guest WoZZeR999

gpstest does indeed call oemgpsOne.dll. oemgpsOne calls AYGShell, CoreDLL, gpsapi and STelLibCDMA. I could never get gpstest to work with gpssrv myself, but I was probably overlooking something.

Guest jakedoza
While using the gpsserver dll files (placed in the \Windows and \Program Files\GPSServer as necessary), I can't get gpstest to run -- I always get a message that GPSSec couldn't be initialized. Do you have your files placed/configured differently, or swapping the files back and forth, or am I overlooking something?

As far as I can tell, gpstest uses osmgpsOne.dll which should reference stgps.dll (at least as I recall). My memory is a bit off tonight, so I could be way off here.

make sure

1 you are not plugged into the usb

2 active sync is not running via task mgr

Guest WoZZeR999

So I used hsniffer to see what TCP data was being sent when I ran GPSTest, and it does connect to the VZW aGPS server (66.174.95.132:8888). It is followed by a Reset packed by a different server (70.217.14.xx:16650), then what looks to be another possible aGPS handshake from VZW (66.174.94.132:8888).

I won't be able to get to it for a while, but I will try using firewall software to block either the ip 70.217.14.150 or port 16650. It's possible that has the handshake data. I'm at work right now, and GPSTest freezes for me if it doesn't get a lock, but I can try it later when I get home and see what other kind of data it send to the VZW motherships.

Edit: I'll have to check when I get home if my gpsONE settings from QPST are still active, that could account for the first aGPS handshake, but there was still that second attempt on the same port vzw uses for aGPS.

Edit2: hmmm, the second ip is actually my own, so maybe I only need to block the port, trying now.

Edit3: Lots of edits today, the rst packed randomizes, and I can't seem to block all ports in that range.

Edited by WoZZeR999

Guest DeepBlueEditor

Added my voice to the wind today and sent Steve the following note:

Just wanted to let you know there are a lot of us out here hanging onto your words about freeing GPS usage in the first part of 2009. A lot of folks are keeping their Omnia i910s because of the notes you have sent to some of us faithful followers. Please don't let the bean counters win and keep us locked out too much longer. Loosing people on a failed promise is a hard way to go and those folks will likely be gone for good. Just wanted to say we do appreciate your note and look forward to hearing more soon.

Sean McHenry

Broadcast Engineer of over 30 years

--

I think in art, but especially in films, people are trying to confirm their own existences.

Jim Morrison

Guest the v

Second experiment

Ok good news the Google maps working perfect on my omnia my location is about 20 meters accurate and is stable done with cell phone towers triangulation

First just backup all my junk into my memory card and hard reset reinstall my software (fring very useful to text and call for free by the way and my google maps on my memory card ) and for my luck my location was stable with no more changes on my menu :(

Guest Anubis119

WoZZeR999: Interesting findings on the aGPS information. After seeing your post, I manually set the PDE Address registry entry for gpsserver to what my gpstest was using (mine was actually 66.174.94.132) and surprisingly it got slightly farther, although it still failed to really get anywhere. It could just be my copies, but gpsserver seems to use xxx.xxx.95.xxx and gpstest uses xxx.xxx.94.xxx - anyone know anything on this? I haven't dealt much with aGPS and what not before, so I have no idea how to verify which IP is the one to use.

Also, it's hard to describe how much those email postings help to unlock the gps. We all know this can't be done without posting at least 50 emails that have nothing to do with the topic. (No offense intended to anyone in particular here.)

Edited by Anubis119

Guest Superman99
Second experiment

Ok good news the Google maps working perfect on my omnia my location is about 20 meters accurate and is stable done with cell phone towers triangulation

First just backup all my junk into my memory card and hard reset reinstall my software (fring very useful to text and call for free by the way and my google maps on my memory card ) and for my luck my location was stable with no more changes on my menu :(

Wait did you get the GPS on a omnia 910 fully working? If so can you outline exactly what you did? I looked back through your posts but it is not clear.

Thanks

Guest WdGldDave
Wait did you get the GPS on a omnia 910 fully working? If so can you outline exactly what you did? I looked back through your posts but it is not clear.

Thanks

in suspense......

Guest WoZZeR999
WoZZeR999: Interesting findings on the aGPS information. After seeing your post, I manually set the PDE Address registry entry for gpsserver to what my gpstest was using (mine was actually 66.174.94.132) and surprisingly it got slightly farther, although it still failed to really get anywhere. It could just be my copies, but gpsserver seems to use xxx.xxx.95.xxx and gpstest uses xxx.xxx.94.xxx - anyone know anything on this? I haven't dealt much with aGPS and what not before, so I have no idea how to verify which IP is the one to use.

Also, it's hard to describe how much those email postings help to unlock the gps. We all know this can't be done without posting at least 50 emails that have nothing to do with the topic. (No offense intended to anyone in particular here.)

I only had gpstest installed, no gpsserver, and it used both. I also want to know what the reset packet does.

.95 seems to be the IP that the vx6800 needed to enable aGPS for their phones. I haven't gotten around to changing stuff with QPST yet, but I plan to get to it on the weekend.

Guest WoZZeR999
Second experiment

This is from Google Maps using "My Location" which is cell tower triangulation. Not all areas support this feature. It's a good backup to GPS when you can't get a lock.

I can't get it to work in my area.

Guest syrguy1969
This is from Google Maps using "My Location" which is cell tower triangulation. Not all areas support this feature. It's a good backup to GPS when you can't get a lock.

I can't get it to work in my area.

Even if it is just the 'My Location' feature, that would be a great step....that feature has never worked with VZW (the only carrier of the i910 that I know of currently). Should we be looking for the updated version, or is there something we should be doing to get My Location to work now?

Guest WoZZeR999

Weird, after a hard format (full format with reprogramming as well), gpstest no longer tries to connect to the agps server. It must have been left over from some other settings.

Guest fieldy4krn
Weird, after a hard format (full format with reprogramming as well), gpstest no longer tries to connect to the agps server. It must have been left over from some other settings.

anybody have any new news about when the GPS feature will be unlocked on this phone? Just got a phone call response to my email to verizon wireless about the GPS feature, but the rep who called didn't know when it would be unlocked.

Chris

Guest the v

This 2nd experiment was done by triangulation of cellphone towers GPS is not enable

This experiment was done by triangulation of cell phone towers GPS is not enable yet

The first time that I installed google maps did let me use my location.

After 2 weeks of installing and un-installing programs on my phone I decide to hard reset my phone to install the programs that I liked. So I re-installed google maps on my storage card and my location just pop asking me to calibrate the center of my location.

Better than nothing.

Like a consolation price on the mean time :(

Edited by the v

Guest Chugworth

So wait a minute... What's the deal with the "My Location" feature in Google Maps? For me, it always tells me "Your current location is temporarily unavailable."

Guest WoZZeR999

I've never had it work for me. I think the cell towers have to be in google's database, and enough in an area where it can get a clean signal(with at least 3 towers).